The Outsider

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

buzzy
barnacle

Re: The Outsider

Post by buzzy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:01 pm

I read most of Steve's stuff the last week or so. Good work, but is the outsider being assimilated by the Borg Aka the "industry"? Less cutting observations and a bit of a limp wristed critique of Slater's game playing. And no mention of Nick Carroll in what...three articles? More? What gives?

Nice to see the Kellymonster continue to be exposed. He doesn't care if he wins or loses? Tell that to the board he punched when losing to Adriano. No game play? No psyche out? What was that about Parko peaking too early?

Nice to see some no talent surfers dominate the opposition. I was just thinking by the way if Parko was American we'd see oodles of sycophantic guru mystic rubbish printed about his surfing and the media push sure wouldn't have harmed his push for a few world titles.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:42 pm

nuffink ngo wrote:
TrevG wrote:
Rodney Stevens wrote:Why would any self respecting journo such as the "Outsider" post his work for free on a site that indulges itself in arbitrary censorship and banning of contributors :?:
Wow. Three posts Rod and you're right into it. If you have an issue with it, why are you here.
You're welcome BTW but I'd suggest you are sprouking about stuff which was happening long before you arrived on the scene.
Better delete some more old posts so those nasty opinions can't be read or formed,especially by some Johnny come lately blow in who has yet to earn the right to have an opinion
Nuufin, stop making baseless allegations.
He's entitled to his opinions. He's entitled to post them on here.
And I am entitled to say what I think of them.
Which I've done. No suggestion of deleting posts.
You make a pretty poor "freedom of the press" ambassador.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:08 am

Steve, you said on Swellnet
“it's amazing, 30 years into the "dream Tour" 50 years plus of pro surfing and the only model they can make work is bums on seats/big top surfing.
that has to be about the most monumental failure of imagination in any international sport, when you consider what pro surfing potentially could be,”

Given there will never be big, consistent. online viewing numbers for pro surfing, what do you think pro surfing could potentially be?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:21 am

Trev wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:42 pm
nuffink ngo wrote:
TrevG wrote:
Rodney Stevens wrote:Why would any self respecting journo such as the "Outsider" post his work for free on a site that indulges itself in arbitrary censorship and banning of contributors :?:
Wow. Three posts Rod and you're right into it. If you have an issue with it, why are you here.
You're welcome BTW but I'd suggest you are sprouking about stuff which was happening long before you arrived on the scene.
Better delete some more old posts so those nasty opinions can't be read or formed,especially by some Johnny come lately blow in who has yet to earn the right to have an opinion
Nuufin, stop making baseless allegations.
He's entitled to his opinions. He's entitled to post them on here.
And I am entitled to say what I think of them.
Which I've done. No suggestion of deleting posts.
You make a pretty poor "freedom of the press" ambassador.
Well this thread has been bubbling along nicely :-D-:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:06 am

foamy wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:08 am
Steve, you said on Swellnet
“it's amazing, 30 years into the "dream Tour" 50 years plus of pro surfing and the only model they can make work is bums on seats/big top surfing.
that has to be about the most monumental failure of imagination in any international sport, when you consider what pro surfing potentially could be,”

Given there will never be big, consistent. online viewing numbers for pro surfing, what do you think pro surfing could potentially be?
How about the top 36 each travelling with just one drone camera and operator to anywhere in the world they want each month (paid for by the WSL) and sending their best wave(s) for a monthly assessment of their points and rankings.

The bottom 4 drop out each month so there's a yearly IRL contest between the last four surfers held somewhere or other.

Footage is posted weekly so there is always something on show to earn revenue for the WSL.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:05 am

That's a pretty good idea Cranked.

bobjs
Harry the Hat

Post by bobjs » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:39 am

Outside of the COVID state border issues, it would be great to choose which Aussie event to hold next based on the forecast. East coast, West coast and Vic gives a great set of options. Maybe have a longer waiting period for the last event.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:43 pm

Cranks idea has merit.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:44 pm

Yes, it has some merit. Though there is a huge advantage to the surfers with the larger travel budget and it also becomes a bit of a filmers comp.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:59 pm

Nothing wrong with a filmers comp, the better they get the better the entertainment value. There's a four man traditional comp at the end, maybe eight?

You're right about a larger travel budget giving an advantage foamy. I thought the WSL would cover it as a fixed amount, but there'd be problems with that too.

Just putting it all up there as an idea.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:25 pm

To me it's just not a thing

the whole idea of competition is that it happens in the presence of the Foe. Go away and shoot film of your best rides is a hoax. You could ride 100 waves and finally get one good one. That's not the deal. The deal is outfoxing the opponent.

That's where the fire is. That's where it gets sorted out.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:27 pm

anyway all this shit is retarded, there's a fcuking pandemic in progress, the WSL is clearly doing all it can in that context to make events happen. They're always gonna look like shit in the process, and they'll be exposed to constant ridicule. Until it clicks.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:29 pm

Now maybe it won't click, and maybe down the track this year will turn out to look like the end of the WSL era. But it's a bit early to be making that sort of assumption.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:32 pm

And I tell ya what, there'll be a lot of kids at any of the Australian venues who'll be stoked out of their minds at the chance to meet or even just see people like JJF, Italo, Steph, Carissa, etc etc etc, in free surfs, in competitive action, and maybe saying hello or whatever.

Those surfers are genuine stars, you watch 'em surf live and you -- yes even you old men! -- will be blown away.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:33 pm

I've sat back and listened and read a whole pile of old guy bitterness in the past few days re pro surfing and its efforts, not here so much as out there in other comment worlds, and frankly, I think it's just so much piffle.

Surfing's fundamentally about that youthful stoke, old guy bitterness is a broken record in the face of that. If you wanna stick to that old guy bitterness, well, you're already fcuken done.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:38 pm

I agree with Nick there.

it's got to be live and it has to have the element of competition front and centre.

To me, the pandemic has really exposed the fatal flaw in the WSL business model.

They are so addicted/reliant on the tourism funding from Govts, where every thing shakes down to maximum exposure, maximum "bums on seats" to appease the politicians whose favour they need to duchess that the impact is more and more on the nose to the rec surfer or to communities at world class surf. To many, if not most, who are outside the corporate/competitve/club surfing realm the costs far outweigh the benefits.

Ballina is not a radical council. The 8-2 decision against the WSL comp at Lennox speaks volumes to that, and illustrates the sheer volume and ferocity of community pressure they were under.

If they had somehow figured out an alternative business model that could promise and deliver low key events that appealed to or were even tolerated by smaller coastal communities they'd have far more opportunity to appeal to the base surf fan instead of the politician/tourism bureaucrat who they seem hell bent on designing the surf comps for. That just leaves them trapped going to city beaches where ugly power struggles between city and state mayors/politicians play out that is about the furthest thing possible from the surfing stoke.

oh ffs Nick the kids are fine. this "won't someone think of the kids thing" is so lame.

I surfed the Point with my 11 yr old son this arvo, all the kids were out shredding, they are totally fine.

afterwards they went skateboarding, came home and watched JOB on you-toob.

these kids are not deprived of surf stars.

anyhow the era of surfing belonging to kids, especially pro surfing, died in the 80's.
Last edited by steve shearer on Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:45 pm

Well, who really plans for a pandemic in their business model?
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:50 pm

It’s one thing to run surf contests as a public service, but to consistently make some serious coin for the organisers and the elite competitors is a whole other conundrum