mctavish boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: mctavish boards

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:59 am

Bap bow. That sucks shit. Did they give you your money back??. Can't be happy with that.

I had a 7S superfish a while ago. Surfed ok, ended up selling it ( i got it cheap, so i didn't lose any money on it ). As far as the glass job though, it was pretty strong ( PU/PE ) so can't complain about that.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Nice thread revival there, almost 5 years to the day :lol: Interesting to revisit see some of the discussion back then
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:57 pm

had a bloke bring in a plastic machine today, never seen one up close before, interesting board...must have been 1 3/4" at pod, fairly thick tail for a 3" thick board but still looked like fun shape, wide point was long way back...anyone ridden one ?

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:32 am

Nice spread on Bob in the forthcoming ASL or Aust Longboarder, cant remember which - Day in the Life of Bob McTavish.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:39 pm

pridmore wrote:had a bloke bring in a plastic machine today, never seen one up close before, interesting board...must have been 1 3/4" at pod, fairly thick tail for a 3" thick board but still looked like fun shape, wide point was long way back...anyone ridden one ?
Rode one of the originals back in 69 took it to Hawaii, then had Bob do differently for me wide pin tail with a rolled convex bottom not the severe Vees of the original that acted IMO as a Halvorsen hull and bounced ordinary riders successively higher on each bit of chop they hit until they were bounced off.
Nat and McT did great at classic Honulua but the chop of sunset smashed them.
Rail and wide points were ok vee not....We have progressed in ability from then.
Modern mals go beyond that now.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:14 pm

I've got two 8'4"carvers Ithink they've been done by a shaper cause one's a half inch narrower than the other and they're great.I use them for larger waves when Im scared of snaping the 9'ers.I had to laugh one day a bloke said (that longboard looked like it was going good out there)and I said (its not a longboard.Its an 8' gun with a round nose)he just looked at me like this :shock: .But that is what I bought them for and its a pretty good way of describing them..

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:13 pm

but does he shape on Saturdays?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:17 pm

"I love my carver. Its 7'11" and it is really versatile. If I had to have one allround board that did everything a short board and a mal can do I would pick it for sure. I hate the logo but who cares. The shape delivers.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:43 am

puurri wrote:but does he shape on Saturdays?
:lol:

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:54 pm

I'll put my hand up...I have one.

Mine is way cool though. Its one of those Jason Blewitt models made in conjunction with Beach Beat.

I only ride it in the big stuff and even then it hasnt got wet in about a year. It was my first mal and i'll never sell it. Has even survived an indo trip.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:41 am

I had a ride of a mates fireball a few years back and it was pretty good noseriding and off the tail.
I agree that the the graphics can be a bit much but I dont go along with the strereotype argument that everyone who rides a McTavish is a cashed up stockbroker kook. I think that bagging his boards is pretty disrespectful to a bloke who is still going strong.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:41 pm

LONGINUS wrote:Nice spread on Bob in the forthcoming ASL or Aust Longboarder, cant remember which - Day in the Life of Bob McTavish.
It's ALB. Part of their name-dropping 'location' report thingys. nice to read that even Bob forgets to tie his boards on the roof occasionally.

I'm a little confused though. Am I right in thinking if you buy a traditional foam/fibreglass McTavish then it's come from the factory in Byron, so it may have been worked on by Dain Thomas and others and overseen (not individually) by Bob. However, if you buy a surftec/tufflight version it's been made in a Se Asian sweatshop?

FWIW I think there's a place for McTavish and how the brand operates - there are always going to be people who prefer to know what they're getting and like to be able to buy it off the rack. I can't criticise the guy for making a living and succeeding. I'm pretty sure he's gone to the wall financially at least once anyway. If he lives out his days living in his architecturally designed house in Suffolk, surfing and overseeing the factory then good luck to him.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Just FWIW ..I surf with Bob regularly.....he's a really nice bloke in the water and he charges the big days in his sixties on a longboard gun
(when most are standing on the headland watching).

He's risked everything(and lost it all) on several occasions and is doing alright now.

His boards are out of my price range but he employs local people and is the real deal.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:58 pm

There's quite a few of the good surfers up here ride them and have bought more than one.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:04 pm

I have a 8'1" JB Performance model. Its has 'shaped by Bob McTavish' under the foam, so i think it might be legit. I picked it up SH for $550 with a bag and a leash, which is probably a bargain price given the boards performance in the juice. Can't say i subscribe to all the 'latte and Porche' knockers and im of the opinion that the guys who say 'go custom' are mostly kidding themselves when it comes to mals. And who can blame him for cashing in on what are basically a good collection of boards, well made, with good performance? I previously owned a 9'1" Mc Tavish Razar which is a cracking board, but my daughter refuses to give it back and it now lives with her in Coffs.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:16 pm

makes good boards, most longboarders will agree, he was a big part of the shorty revolution, still surfs well, decent bloke from what I hear, still employs locals and in my books, that makes him almost a legend in this industry...good luck to him...hope I could do 1 tenth of that stuff..... 8)

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Chillin mate I get what your saying about Mctavish but your comment say 'go custom' are mostly kidding themselves when it comes to mals however not so much.

This may surprise you but an off the shelf job may not be what works for a certain person and not all mals are the same. Ive had two customs both from Classic Malibu at Noosa. Both times I couldnt find anything off the shelf that fitted what I wanted (old school nose rider) so for the same price I got one made to my specs.

bood
Grommet

Post by bood » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:50 pm

who cares