South Coast surf: Coverage by dog

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

purple pyramids
barnacle

South Coast surf: Coverage by dog

Post by purple pyramids » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:29 pm

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: South Coast surf: Coverage by dog

Post by oldman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:39 am

Nice waves.

Seemed to me that the knee board was so much slower than the standups. Really seemed to be struggling for speed on the walls whether they were fat or steep.

Any comment on that Mr Pyramids?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:11 pm

^^^^I see what you mean olds.
I kept wanting to pull him forward about 6" on the board but then he'd have been in front of the kneeling pad.
Nice waves though.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:32 pm

maybe wave choice?
the kneelo appears to be actively trying to slow down - stalling and doing cutties. whereas the standups seem more intent on outrunning waves to avoid getting one on the head. regardless, it's clear that the standups are much faster.
i imagine that the kneelo is riding a board twice as wide and thick.

oh bloody hell. i think the japanese board repairer that puts those signs up around bondi junction has moved in next door. he's revving up the dremel tool as he puts the nose back on something large with a frangipani on it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:22 pm

purple pyramids wrote: oh bloody hell. i think the japanese board repairer that puts those signs up around bondi junction has moved in next door. he's revving up the dremel tool as he puts the nose back on something large with a frangipani on it.
You sure it's not Skipper? :shock: :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:02 pm

that's an interesting observation.
the old kneelo style is to ride further up the board and sit back on your heels more. you see this in the classic kneelo bottom turn, with rider leaning back and hand in the wave.
the new boards are ridden further back, but the rider leans way forward. the upper body may be near parallel to the board for a bottom turn. they also like to lean forward to release the fins. seem to be a few instances here:
http://vimeo.com/21420657
i'm struggling with the change.
TrevG wrote:^^^^I see what you mean olds.
I kept wanting to pull him forward about 6" on the board but then he'd have been in front of the kneeling pad.
Nice waves though.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:20 pm

I like the ones where he doesnt even make the first turn. Got dropped in on by a kneelo up the coast on one of my best waves all week :x
500mtr ride and dropped in on the last dredgy bit at the end by a cripple. Wouldn't pull off even though I kept yelling at him. Lucky he disappeared soon after.

Greenough has a lot to answer for. At least some of the kneelos of old could surf. I definitely agree with the observations about sitting too far back on the board. Nice waves and not too crowded by the look of it. Youd think he'd be able to pull in better than everyone else really.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?