Victorian Longboard Titles 2011

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

lawny
Grommet

Victorian Longboard Titles 2011

Post by lawny » Wed May 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Heres a pic from the day... check out the rest of the pics at surfm8.com.... heres a link
http://www.surfm8.com.au/surfm8/Home.html

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: Victorian Longboard Titles 2011

Post by WANDERER » Thu May 19, 2011 7:25 pm

hmmm, logs, eggs and alternatives or now that's just silly??

Down with high performance (LoL!) longboarding. [/my 2 cents]

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu May 19, 2011 7:27 pm

WANDERER wrote:hmmm, logs, eggs and alternatives or now that's just silly??

I tend to agree with you Wands. Haven't even bothered to look at the link.
High performance longboarding.
Now THERE'S a contradiction in terms. :wink:

Edit: OK I've just had a look at the pics. Some reasonable ones there actually. I must admit I was put off by the posted pic. Wasn't interested in seeing a whole heap of airs on longboards. But there's a couple of nice cutbacks there and some nicely trimmed riders in the pocket.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

lawny
Grommet

Post by lawny » Thu May 19, 2011 9:03 pm

sheesh... didnt realise u would get so upset about a kid trying to do something a little different on a mal... there was plenty of good old skool logging!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu May 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Lawny, a question about that second pic.
What does it take in board design to be able to get up the nose like that on a basically flat wave?
To me that's "modern longboarding". Nose riding assited by board design.
On traditional old logs there was/is an art in nose riding; the way you trimmed the board in the right spot on the wave to enable you to walk up to the nose and stay there.
Now I don't have a problem with guys doing the modern thing. It's just not for me.
And it's why I don't do contests any more.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

lawny
Grommet

Post by lawny » Thu May 19, 2011 10:15 pm

TrevG wrote:Lawny, a question about that second pic.
What does it take in board design to be able to get up the nose like that on a basically flat wave?
yes board design is a factor these days but not everything. skill is still a major factor, a board doesnt do all the work for you.

flat wave, old school log

bigwayne

Post by bigwayne » Fri May 20, 2011 7:35 am

mr lawny , the last photo is it jordie? if so that guy could ride a paddlepop stick and hang heels! but alot of "modern"longboard riding is only trying to copy what shortboarders do so the judges who know nothing about longboarding can score for the moves and tricks that the judges themselves know . one is with big mr T on this and that is why one does not compete anymore because one thinks the essence of longboarding is slipping away

this was bought to you by HRH bigwayne longboard legend , swellnet reserve wax caddy

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Fri May 20, 2011 9:09 am

WANDERER wrote:hmmm, logs, eggs and alternatives or now that's just silly??

This, log it or gtfo. I give no fk for loop de loops on longboards.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 20, 2011 9:55 pm

lawny wrote:
TrevG wrote:Lawny, a question about that second pic.
yes board design is a factor these days but not everything. skill is still a major factor, a board doesnt do all the work for you.

flat wave, old school log
^^^
But that's precisely what I meant lawny.
He's stalled, stepped up to the nose at exactly the right time to take advantage of the little curl happening just in front of him.
The modern noseriding mals would allow the same thing even without the peak to make use of.
Beanpole

Skipper

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 pm

bigwayne wrote:one is with big mr T on this and that is why one does not compete anymore because one thinks the essence of longboarding is slipping away
You're growing on me sunshine, I concur wholeheartedly, though I am looking to get back to a few contests, it will be on my terms and more for the social side than anything else, especially seeing as I a daily surf is pretty much impossible for me for the time being with my new job.
I've just ordered 2 new boards off Ric V, both with an eye firmly placed on pure loungboarding, one is an out and out noserider, the other more of a 'hot dogger' but both based on the old (and best) definitions of what is good long boarding.

It all started to really die for me when they adjusted the judging criteria in favour of progressive style (75/25 I think it is these days??), I really don't think they understand just how much this has damaged the longboard movement. Attempting to mimmick what the shortboarders do is more than pointless, it's regressive, we've already had the shortboard revolution, we know how "high performance" surf boards can be the more they are refined 'down' so why the hell is this high performance thing being pursued again?? it's sad.

And for the record, yes, these high performance boards can noseride, but it is treated as an annoying prerequisite when it should be a main focus (though not the sole focus). I see photos of guys on longboards trying to hit the lip or way out on the shoulder doing a rail carve, when right there the whole time is the curl, where it all should be happening.

bigwayne

Post by bigwayne » Tue May 24, 2011 7:47 am

here here, mr wanderer your thoughts on judging are spot on , maybe one can suggest the local longboard club in your area for the monthly comps? club level so no pressure to be doing the fancy things the kids are doing these days thats what ones good self is doing at the present time , and having fun mr wanderer getting back the stoke

this was bought to you by a renewed outlook on compeating and having a ball HRH bigwayne :D

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 pm

WANDERER wrote:
bigwayne wrote:one is with big mr T on this and that is why one does not compete anymore because one thinks the essence of longboarding is slipping away
You're growing on me sunshine, I concur wholeheartedly, though I am looking to get back to a few contests, it will be on my terms and more for the social side than anything else, especially seeing as I a daily surf is pretty much impossible for me for the time being with my new job.
I've just ordered 2 new boards off Ric V, both with an eye firmly placed on pure loungboarding, one is an out and out noserider, the other more of a 'hot dogger' but both based on the old (and best) definitions of what is good long boarding.

It all started to really die for me when they adjusted the judging criteria in favour of progressive style (75/25 I think it is these days??), I really don't think they understand just how much this has damaged the longboard movement. Attempting to mimmick what the shortboarders do is more than pointless, it's regressive, we've already had the shortboard revolution, we know how "high performance" surf boards can be the more they are refined 'down' so why the hell is this high performance thing being pursued again?? it's sad.

And for the record, yes, these high performance boards can noseride, but it is treated as an annoying prerequisite when it should be a main focus (though not the sole focus). I see photos of guys on longboards trying to hit the lip or way out on the shoulder doing a rail carve, when right there the whole time is the curl, where it all should be happening.
....the gap between traditional and progressive longboarding is wider than the Nullabor !....when the resurgence of longboards happened , the big pro - surfboard companies got scared ...very scared....when the resurgence peaked , 75% of blanks produced globally were over 8ft and for longboards . The progressive movement in longboards was created by surf companies to keep their hold on "all things surfing".....they pushed hard for ASP sanctions on all major longboard comps which , to some degree stiffled and diluted the popularity of traditional log riding......there was a chance (in Australia) around 15 years back , to break away from Surfing Australia ,and form a new movement with a more traditional attitude...but it failed due to lack of solidarity between the states....all history now :lol: ......just my view of things......

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 pm

......some good things come out of it.....the current interest in alternative designs, and having another look at many older designs , IMO is a result of the resurgence of traditional log riding....personally , I still like mid to late 60's designs , and dont think they can be improved with '' short board' influenced changes.....although , its nice to ride one thats a fair bit lighter than the 60's weight.......all just my opinion though..........horses for courses... some waves just beg for a good traditional log!
Last edited by kayu on Sat May 28, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat May 28, 2011 12:35 pm

so , Bwayne ,one would be interested to know what one's prefered craft of choice is , when surfing at ones royal local........... :)

bigwayne

Post by bigwayne » Sat May 28, 2011 7:43 pm

thank you mr kayu , notice the non shortening of names ? anyhoo ..... one has a suspicion that your goodself already knows ! but will divulge anyway , atthe moment one rides a GMS from a well deserved win in the point score for ones local longboard club , glen makes these at crescent head and one must concur that for a 105 kilo 6' 3 " hunk of burning love , and not being a custom , this log has most of the atributes of a log that was wanted by ones goodself , sharp rails on the bottom 1/3 and those great fin plugs for the sidies , one thinks that they were aquired through shapers ( sorry about the blatant ) , that refuse to tear themselves out of the glass , one has nearly done himself a mischeif trying , and all round its a great board . but still do ride ones royal "shortboard", is a 7'0 short? it seems like a paddle pop stick sometimes.