MALJAM 2011

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

WANDERER
Owl status

MALJAM 2011

Post by WANDERER » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:55 pm

So, this article strikes me halfway between vomiting and cringing, however it is good to see some representation in the mainstream media.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/fueltv/news ... 6039213060

The event itself sounds interesting and I think I'll be getting along for a peep, at the very least the north curly boys know how to party so I can count on some beers and laughs.

Anyone else gonna check it out??

http://www.curlymaljampro.com/

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: MALJAM 2011

Post by WANDERER » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:11 pm

reginald wrote:Pretty good idea, looks cool. Although I don't know if I could bare to hang around and watch the modern longboard warriors tame mother and dominate the line with amazing rips, reentries, three sixties, aerials, tail slides.

Did Daryl Eastlake write that article?
Aye, hence the vomit/cringe... woulda had a crack at the single fin log but I don't have a board atm (sold it to some lucky logger girl in Seattle) and I'm seriously out of form, though I'd never dream of winning something like that I do prefer to at least make it out of my opening heat :lol:
I'm definitely not into modern/hi-performance longboarding... I just don't get it.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:07 pm

reginald wrote:Does anyone?
obviously enough that the whole competitive circuit is mostly/basicly run to high performance criteria...

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:12 am

Well how much money is there in it anyway.
It does allow surfboard companies to market name models to the masses.
Most of whom should be on mini mals anyway.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:24 am

Same weekend as the Magoo Charity Classic at Soldiers Beach and surrounds.

Unfortunately.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:19 pm

oldman wrote:Same weekend as the Magoo Charity Classic at Soldiers Beach and surrounds.

Unfortunately.

Eeek thats a horror clash!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:48 pm

You've gone in the Magoo in past years haven't you Wanderer?

In any case, yeah, just bad luck.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:57 am

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Let's hope he beats it.
A true legend of the sport and not just because of his age.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

bigwayne

Post by bigwayne » Sun May 01, 2011 8:51 am

one has surfed against the great magoo at the logger head classic in scotts head on the north coast of nsw the man himself surfed in the opens and he was in his very late 60s or early 70s and just schooled every person in that heat (and subsequent heats aswell) on just how to ride a log . the only other person that came close was the late frank latta and magoo made him look like a novice! frank was a good friend of mine and hope all us long boarders have a place in their heart for him (and others) for the late 80s long board "revival" and for designing and refining the logs we ride today

R.I.P Frank Latta

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sun May 01, 2011 1:38 pm

bigwayne wrote:one has surfed against the great magoo at the logger head classic in scotts head on the north coast of nsw the man himself surfed in the opens and he was in his very late 60s or early 70s and just schooled every person in that heat (and subsequent heats aswell) on just how to ride a log . the only other person that came close was the late frank latta and magoo made him look like a novice! frank was a good friend of mine and hope all us long boarders have a place in their heart for him (and others) for the late 80s long board "revival" and for designing and refining the logs we ride today

R.I.P Frank Latta
QFT!

and not just a place in my heart, one of my favourite boards is a 7'2" hybrid of his.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:48 pm

WANDERER wrote:
bigwayne wrote:one has surfed against the great magoo at the logger head classic in scotts head on the north coast of nsw the man himself surfed in the opens and he was in his very late 60s or early 70s and just schooled every person in that heat (and subsequent heats aswell) on just how to ride a log . the only other person that came close was the late frank latta and magoo made him look like a novice! frank was a good friend of mine and hope all us long boarders have a place in their heart for him (and others) for the late 80s long board "revival" and for designing and refining the logs we ride today

R.I.P Frank Latta
QFT!

and not just a place in my heart, one of my favourite boards is a 7'2" hybrid of his.
Here's to length of life and length of board and the ability to ride them both well :D
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun May 01, 2011 7:20 pm

TrevG wrote: Let's hope he beats it.
A true legend of the sport and not just because of his age.
Certainly is, very humble with it, and yeah, up till recently was still surfing and paddling as well as ever.

As Arnie says, "He'll be back."

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Wed May 04, 2011 11:05 am

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu May 12, 2011 12:01 am

Would love to see some good footage from this day. Those 16 footers take great skill to ride , and when put in the pocket correctly , can achieve impressive speeds indeed ! Midgets display at the Noosa-fest some years back was certainly proof !.....For anyone with an interest is such iconic water sleds , Joe Larkin is still producing the goods , and stylin them (as only he can) at downtown Cabarita... :lol: ....sorry for the spamming, but the man is the man !!! joelarkinsurfboards.com

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu May 12, 2011 3:10 pm

kayu wrote:Would love to see some good footage from this day. Those 16 footers take great skill to ride , and when put in the pocket correctly , can achieve impressive speeds indeed ! Midgets display at the Noosa-fest some years back was certainly proof !.....For anyone with an interest is such iconic water sleds , Joe Larkin is still producing the goods , and stylin them (as only he can) at downtown Cabarita... :lol: ....sorry for the spamming, but the man is the man !!! joelarkinsurfboards.com
Not spam mate. I posted a link to him months ago. He made my first board (not timber :wink: ) in 1963
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu May 12, 2011 6:43 pm

Nice Trev !.....hope you still got it , cause theyre a hot item for the purist loggers!... :D
Attachments
1931 waikiki-chambered Mick dooley 12ft 009.jpg

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu May 12, 2011 7:27 pm

kayu wrote:Nice Trev !.....hope you still got it , cause theyre a hot item for the purist loggers!... :D
'Fraid not. Long gone. Replaced by first a Woosley, then a couple from Mick Carey. All customs. Then a loooooong hiatus till the 80's when I picked up another Woosley. It, too has gone now.

Funny story about Joe. His facory was out the back of Kirra near the Zoo, he and his German Shepherd dog (Sarge???). I had been begging and borrowing boards from the Kirra clubbies for a couple of years. Sometimes they even knew about it. :oops:
So I got this school holiday job at the sand mines at Cudgen. If I worked all 8 weeks (finished Internediate Exams early), I'd have enough for a board. So I ordered it and Joe said he'd have it ready by the end of January. Things must have been a bit quiet 'coz he sent a message round that it'd be ready for pickup on Christmas Eve. He agreed to take half the money and the rest as I earned it.
So Dad drops me off on his way to work but it's too early so I sit on the point at Kirra mindsurfing the waves for an hour, then go to the public toilets for a crap before walking down to Joe's. I drop the money in the shithouse. :twisted:
Anyway when I told Joe, he stuck it up to his nose, sniffed and said "It's all money" and stuck it in his pocket. Didn't even bat an eyelid. He was a deadset legend in those days.
I surfed all day, Kirra, Greenmount, Snapper and back to Kirra where Dad was to pick me up after work.
Wore all the skin off my knees and couldn't surf for about two weeks until they healed.
That will always be one of the most enjoyable days of my life. 8)
Beanpole

Skipper