Mini Simmons

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Mini Simmons

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm struggling to understand the design differences between a mini simmons that is shaped in accordance to planing hull theory, and a very short wide-tailed twin-fin surfboard thats almost like a typical fish with the nose and tail chopped off.

Can anyone shed some light on this one?

As far as I understand they usually have a domed bottom, sharpish rails, and some sort of single concave scoop away that starts in the middle of the board and widens as it gets nearer to the tail, turning into a full single concave once it gets to the fins right at the rear.

I could be completely wrong, thats just all I have observed...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

S,M,L,XL

Post by S,M,L,XL » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 pm

Hilarious,

so much negativety from people that haven't even seem a mini simmons in the flesh let alone ride one.

I have one, and in gutless, tiny surf it is superb, and in better waves still heaps of fun

it catches waves almost as easily as a mal, and is super fast and loose. The speed and glide is very addictive.

sure its not top to bottom surfing, but you wouldn't be doing that sort of surfing in the waves i surf it in anyway, and it beats the hell out of riding a mal.

this guy appears to be ripping it up on one

http://toes-over.blogspot.com/2010/07/mini-simmons.html

i'm sure the naysayers will say he could have surfed those waves more critically and radically on a regular shortie but who cares...he's ripping and looking like he's having fun doing it.

open your minds people, its all about fun isn't it ?!!??

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:08 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:http://www.basesurfboards.com/news_detail/show/id/163 - A review of the Murray Bourton Mini Simmons

I think his version looks like a more modern snub-nose fish than a mini-sims. Isn't part of the planing hull theory a straighter outline in order to create more lift?
No it's to improve the lift/drag ratio.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:31 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:
Cpt.Caveman wrote:http://www.basesurfboards.com/news_detail/show/id/163 - A review of the Murray Bourton Mini Simmons

I think his version looks like a more modern snub-nose fish than a mini-sims. Isn't part of the planing hull theory a straighter outline in order to create more lift?
No it's to improve the lift/drag ratio.

Is that how you get the Roy boards to water, or do you have a set of wheels ?
OH&s now set a 20Kg lift limit on work site unrealistic on work sites but that's bureaucrats :!:
BTW I'm having a hate bureaucrats day today :twisted:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:38 pm

alakaboo wrote:to be honest, i'd be spending my time trying to figure out where there are waves that good, and setting plans in motion to move there, rather than learning to ride the unrideable boards
Sounds like a much better plan to me.
alakaboo wrote:you and lisa simpson should compare perpetual motion machines...
Yep, I was thinking that too.
S,M,L,XL wrote:Hilarious,

so much negativety from people that haven't even seem a mini simmons in the flesh let alone ride one.
Funny, I was thinking how mild the conversation was considering that it looks like an absolute turd.

Just a bridge too far for me. I can't imagine a world, a beach or a wave where I would be thinking "Wish I had one of those mini-simmons with me."

It so looks like something designed to suck in an old bugger with too much money and no idea.

Lucky I don't have money or I might be in their demographic.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

S,M,L,XL

Post by S,M,L,XL » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:00 pm

ride what you want i don't really care

they're really fun, its your loss

Perth doesn't give you many options a lot of the time, and it fills a pretty nice little niche.

maybe Sydney at its worst still doesn't warrant this type of design, or maybe everyone just likes riding the same old thing

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Yes, at a lot of places in sydney everyone rides the same thing, the same way, without smiling - kind of the way much of sydney goes about day to day life.

By the way I love the way the simmons's look like they surf. Fast, glidey and it look like a fun challenge to harness all that speed if you get it in good waves. Theres a shaper down here who has a few going around, saw one bloke ripping at warp speed on one a few months ago. Didn't like the sucky ones though.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Thats true, there is a lot of conformism in surfing, and a culture of everyone comparing each other based on how well they surf the many variations of the performance orientated shortboard.

I'm totally keen to shape myself a mini-simmons, but I wouldn't fork out $700-850 for one without getting to surf one in a range of conditions.

Maybe we'll see a resurgence of backyard shaping with all of the interesting ideas being visited in surfboards? I'm totally stoked to do some myself and try out all sorts of interesting ideas including finless planing hulls, but only because it will cost under $150 per board :)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Had my first surf on a 5'6" DMS mini-simm in wonky but pitching 3' beachies this morning.
My first wave (backhand) and the simm paddled in easily and dropped into a steep one. Did a nice deep bottom turn (no nursing it) and the board accelerated out of it with a blast of speed and across the face.
Turns were easy and response was instant. Love the speed and its easily controlled unlike many twins which feel like they'll spin out if you try to turn when going fast.
Pile on the speed and a turn where you want.
I'm very impressed and this board showed a versatility that was a welcome suprise.
I had an idea the board would turn well as I'd had a 5'10" fish made by Dan before and it would go vertical like no other fish I've owned.
The mini-simm is far better though.... :shock: and paddles better at 5'6".
Not suprised Dane Reynolds had Dan make him one.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:30 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Had my first surf on a 5'6" DMS mini-simm in wonky but pitching 3' beachies this morning.
My first wave (backhand) and the simm paddled in easily and dropped into a steep one. Did a nice deep bottom turn (no nursing it) and the board accelerated out of it with a blast of speed and across the face.
Turns were easy and response was instant. Love the speed and its easily controlled unlike many twins which feel like they'll spin out if you try to turn when going fast.
Pile on the speed and a turn where you want.
I'm very impressed and this board showed a versatility that was a welcome suprise.
I had an idea the board would turn well as I'd had a 5'10" fish made by Dan before and it would go vertical like no other fish I've owned.
The mini-simm is far better though.... :shock: and paddles better at 5'6".
Not suprised Dane Reynolds had Dan make him one.
Sounds fun mate, how was the release during turns? Stiff or a bit of release if you wanted it?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:39 am

checked a blokes mini-simmons board the other day, he loves it but thinks it is too stiff, he has very little tail lift in his, said it is great flying down the line and holds surprisingly well, super fun but turns are too drawn out he said, and thats how it looked when he rode his, his was a quad...I think a little curve and a touch of tail rocker seems to be the best ( from a novice in this design but done plenty of reading and discussing but yet to ride one ), what tail lift in your one Cuttles ??? planshape looks very similar to what I am doin....

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:59 am

Might be a good learner board for the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:29 am

Started mine yesterday...its 5'3" x 21" x 2 7/8", not traditional, more curve and more tail lift than most, calling it the dim-SIM , post pics soon if anyone interested..... 8)

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:34 am

hey mark
i done a cple when we done those alaias freind of mine had come out from the states
he had two done by j b so i riped them of of those haa''
i had to use mal blanks and cut them out of the guts :evil:

but i think i will do a new version using surfblanks fat fish

what blank have you used :?:

i the baguesse ones were just a tad fat for my eye
but it takes all kinds :roll:

cheers huie

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:48 am

hey mate, one pictured came from big kneebord blank, ( this one wasnt originally intended to be a mini-sim board, it was just a blank I had when the creative bug bit me.... :roll: :lol: ...)its got more tail rocker than most and I have been looking at mal blanks too , spoke to surfblanks yesterday, got a FF on the way, funny you should mention it...not cheap though, and then courier on top too....

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 pm

looks fun, far more curve than the stock standard mini-simmons. I'm keen to hear how it turns out in the water! :D

On a side note, heres another vid of someone ripping on a 5'1" mini-simmons. Check it out from the 3:00 mark onwards. The guy surfing it before the 3:00 swap doesn't make the board look anything special other than very fast. Its interesting how a different surfer makes the board look completely different...

http://vimeo.com/8798033

I wonder how many people are writing off mini-simmons purely because the surfer riding it is shite?

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:33 am

[quote=, spoke to surfblanks yesterday, got a FF on the way, funny you should mention it...not cheap though, and then courier on top too....
Image[/quote]

mark if you get 4 blanks or more freight is free :)

the only blanks i have used in recent times burford & surfblanks seem to be sim price.
dont know bout the others :?:

i love the way the design thing has swung around good fun :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:49 am

cdd ???