Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JaM71
charger

Re: Midlengths

Post by JaM71 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 am

They re zealots Davros. I think midlengths have come a long way, not so long ago bloated mini mals or 8" McCoys were midlengths. Now there are some fantastic shapers making longer, thinner boards that can trim but also turn. There are some really beautiful midlength designs available for us to enjoy.....I just don't have enough coin for em all.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:12 am

I"d take this over a McCoy any day: http://deuscustoms.com/surf/board/mctavish-sherpa/
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 02, 2017 8:43 am

Cool thanks for this.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 am

JaM71 wrote:How can a Mccoy train wreck take over a midlength thread?

Anyways, be careful people, Batoes is a bad man, we all saw how he poured blood into the water & let the RS sharks attack poor anus deel. His other less public but equally as dastardly act in 2017 was to use me as the canary in the cage. He convinced me to buy a gato space pig a couple of months ago.

Fortunately, they re a super fun midlength & very versatile. Yes, they re great on the points as you would expect but also good on the open beachies. A 7'6 that u can duck dive! They take a couple surfs to figure out because u don't have concaves to use as an accelerator. But once u do I reckon they're faster than a concave bottom board. They can also handle a drop which is handy. I had a beautiful 7" egg which I sold last year because the nose would catch.

Ha Ha, maybe because McCoy recognised the gap between longboards and the anorexic stuff that was on the market in the mid 90s.

Geoff created the middle ground and since then plenty have followed.

The choice was to kook it out on those blob nosed waste of foam & fibreglass OR follow KSs low volume, so GM made boards for older guys who needed a bit more buoancy or BIG guys who wanted to actually surf( not walk up and down finding the trim spot).Funnily enough hes still doing it and since he introduced the nugget in 97"hes been busier than ever before"!

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 am

Beanpole wrote:Okay....still never seen any footage of someone riding one well.

Search out the footage of Shane Herring then! :B

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 9:15 am

Beanpole wrote:I don't know why he bangs on about conspiracy theories in the surf industry. People ride all sorts of shite these days. He's a semi household name as a shaper and designer. Always thought Cheyne would have won a world title on a different design.

Cheyne won an "aged" world title on a McCoy....ha ha

The "conspiracy" is that GMs era as a top line designer passed and he takes a narrow view at the direction the" industry" has taken.A classic case of yesterdays hero I suppose.Just an ego thing.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 9:27 am

Cranked wrote:An Astron Zot story - maybe not quite a midlength for this thread, but close in volume.

I bought two Zots, a 6'8 and a 6'1, just before I left for Bali. I've been riding them and yeah, they drop in nicely and are solid and reliable, but there was certainly no high performance stuff going on. Very pedestrian I thought, and all this crap about how fast they were... just ridiculous hype as usual I concluded. Sucked in again!

I was kicking myself for believing Geof's hype, and was starting to wonder if I should sell them while they were still in perfect nick.

Then I went out to Temples early this morning on the 6'1. For the first hour it was pretty crappy, again no great rides.

Then most of the crowd left, just as the tide was right and the wind shifted to offshore. And suddenly it was on, three of us, waist to shoulder.

I've surfed this wave in these conditions pretty often. The best board so far has been a flat rockered 6'6 Byrne thruster fish. 150m rides, fast as fcuk, and able to link endless turns. Too my great surprise the Zot just took off and continued accelerating, no pumping needed, and it was loose as all fcuk as well, way looser than the Byrne, although I couldn't quite get the rhythm for endless big gouging carves like the Byrne.

Got 3 or 4 similar waves over a 30 minute period and then the crowd realised what was going on.

That sort of wave is really common in Indo, so they are both keepers now.

By the way, I've found McCoys don't really go in crappy conditions so I dont surf them in oz.

What I've found is they don't accelerate quickly until you engage the whole rail, then they start to fly and they sit up on the dome and get real loose as well. This applies to Nuggets and even more so for the Zots so far.

The ONLY good thing about Zots is that its a lot easier to add plugs for side fins. QUAD UP AND FLY!

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:30 am

There's also a few clips of a guy surfing a 6'6, 7'0, and 7'6 from memory on YouTube somewhere. I remember thinking I wanted to try a nugget a while ago when the emporium in Sutherland opened.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue May 02, 2017 10:54 am

JaM71 wrote:I"d take this over a McCoy any day: http://deuscustoms.com/surf/board/mctavish-sherpa/
beautiful board, excellent surfing.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 12:57 pm

JET01 wrote:There's also a few clips of a guy surfing a 6'6, 7'0, and 7'6 from memory on YouTube somewhere. I remember thinking I wanted to try a nugget a while ago when the emporium in Sutherland opened.
That guy only stocked the glass thai nuggets( or did then)....the XF poxies are excellent in weak to mid strength waves.GLASS rules in the grunt/strong offshores or when theres chop on the face.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
JaM71 wrote:I"d take this over a McCoy any day: http://deuscustoms.com/surf/board/mctavish-sherpa/
Looks a bit like an NPJ Whales Tounge.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue May 02, 2017 3:27 pm

looks a bit like i want a 6'4, 6'8, 7,2 of it - and sell off the rest of my quiver. looks like my kinda board all over
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Yeh it looks amazing.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:32 pm

Hatchnam wrote:looks a bit like i want a 6'4, 6'8, 7,2 of it - and sell off the rest of my quiver. looks like my kinda board all over
It's not a bad idea Iggy.

My single fin quiver is 6'1, 6'8, and 7'7.

At my skill level they pretty much have all conditions covered.

The only change I'd make would be to put side bites in all three to make them a bit more versatile.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Tue May 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Hatchnam wrote:

Electric trim.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue May 02, 2017 5:25 pm

a) He is an awesome surfer that can ride pretty much anything from a 5'0 to 10'0.
b) I get waves like that four times a year.
c) I would be on a different board for those waves.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Nice enough, draws a beautiful line off the bottom; typically restricted options off the top turn. But you'd really want a mid-length in perfect waves like that?
Fcuk that. My 5'10" bonzer trims out as good as that and I can put it anywhere I want it to go.

`This is a high priced hipster fashion item aimed at adult learners with money who can't really surf but want to catch waves and look good walking down the beach.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 02, 2017 7:43 pm

These were some early gen nuggets from 97/98 shaped for Herro. Bit thinner and narrower and more foiled with beautiful rocker curves. Herro ripped on them. I'd love to get a couple off Geoff but i doubt he would make them.

This is the best carving top turn I've ever seen in my life on the same board.

I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes