twinny longboards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

twinny longboards

Post by pridmore » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:56 am

I am making one for myself soon, keen to hear anyones thoughts or experiences with them...and yes, I'm expecting a bit of crap bout jumping on a mal but this is gunna have a shiteload of manouverability, ton of volume and I am gunna get a ton of waves at a local soft point dominated by mals.... 8)

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: twinny longboards

Post by alakaboo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:09 am

Never ridden a proper twinny longboard, only 2+1s with bigger sides when I forgot the centre fin screw :x
the fin configuration isn't the same, but it might be interesting...

down the line and in turns it went alright. really good actually, very easy to pump.
dropping in was a nightmare until you loaded up the inside fin.
If your rail is engaged from takeoff it's alright, but bottom turning wasn't that easy.
That was in a 9'1" HP longboard with a 4" diamond pin tail and lots of late tail kick, very foiled in the nose and quite rockered in the first foot of the nose.

Was talking to a very good longboarder who was riding a twin fin 9'6", he reckons that unless the tail is really pulled in you're better off with a small trailer or a quad.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:03 pm

thanks..I have a few ideas as far as fin placement goes as well as bottom contours....but this'll be for the really small stuff mostly, not worried about serious bottom turns too much on this one...looking for a fun high volume wave catcher mostly, the twinny will be to liven things up and give it some manouverability...appreciate the input... 8)

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Nigel Beckam has been making twinnie longboards on the Goldy for a number of years. Think he may only do customs now - but for a while there (5 years or so ago) there were plenty around at the Alley and the Snapper Cooly stretch. No sure they'd be twinnies in your regular sense - but there were only two fins - just placed closer together and more tail oriented :?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:02 pm

I've seen the double pin swallow tail twinny mals, they look pretty interesting. More glide to a package already geared for glide, sounds like a speed record to me :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:21 am

Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.