mark richards fish designs

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

mark richards fish designs

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:24 pm

anyone rode em :?: and i'm not intested in the global surf pop out shit models tufflite boards either :twisted:

the pu's...made in byron...they look good...if $$$$$$

love the rails 8)

p.s is platter STILL shapin em :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: mark richards fish designs

Post by Davros » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:18 am

Have a MR Rocket Fish Quad with optional tri set up(6'4 x 2 5/8) its an unreal board, more of a hybrid, ride it from sloppy 2 to clean 6, great all rounder to take away with you but it rides a ton better as a quad IMHO. Fast and loose with control in the juice.

I ordered from MR with some alterations to standard not sure if he shapes them hands on tools,will check board and get back.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:29 pm

Check MR'S website.....it's got all the info

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm a bit sensitive I know but I almost think it's a disrespectful question, no doubt made in well intentioned ignorance.

First, I don't think MR twinnies are fish. Not everything with 2 fins is a fish.

Secondly, MR won 4 world titles on twin fins he shaped himself. After the 4th world title he retired from serious competitive surfing. He was the Slater of his era, but without his head up his arse. So of course his boards are good.

Third, MR is renowned as one of the great shapers. It would be an honour to get a board from the great man.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:12 pm

kayu wrote:Check MR'S website.....it's got all the info

thanks...should have known....google is my friend :wink: :!:

buzzy....no disrespect intended.....i'm not looking at twins ....i'm looking at his fish :arrow:

http://www.markrichardssurfboards.com/boards_fish.php

a friend of mine just got a puffer fish....and for $900 plus $140 extra for fins :shock: :shock:

i can actually see the value in it :idea:

his surfing and stoke levels have improved out of sight on it :!: the construction seems first class....the shape i wonder about

thus my interest in others take on them...thx for thr ride report davos :D

p.s as for mr richards himself.....his about the only legend i have really enjoy surf with....he still rips and doesn't carry on like a dick 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 am

I wouldn't characterise those as fishes, but I'll have to defer to the great man!

Good luck and happy shopping. My second ever board was an MR twinny (with a fairly similar plan shape to those "fish" incidentally). Loved it. I'm not a twinny surfer myself but I'll almost surely get myself an MR super twin at some stage of my life.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 am

I love the look of the squid without flyers for small waves: http://www.markrichardssurfboards.com/b ... _squid.php

I like the look of the Mega-twin for a Sydney all rounder: http://www.markrichardssurfboards.com/b ... gatwin.php

Still, despite these boards claiming to be fishes I much prefer more extreme designs on mine. These still look more like a typical HPS to me... but thats just me. I enjoy different boards and spent too many years on HPS's to keep surfing fresh.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:59 am

buzzy wrote:I wouldn't characterise those as fishes, but I'll have to defer to the great man!
Yeah ... Fong wot e says ... now you being the resident prophet of all things piscatorial should know what a fish looks like me thinks ... even when its a surfboard.

I'm not about to be calling them there MR's anything else but twin fins ... unless of course a super fish is by definition simply a twinnie ... over to you ... you molester of mulloway you.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:anyone rode em :?: and i'm not intested in the global surf pop out shit models tufflite boards either :twisted:

the pu's...made in byron...they look good...if $$$$$$

love the rails 8)

p.s is platter STILL shapin em :?:
I've got an old flying fish shaped by platter, but it has the maddog label on it (saved me heaps of $).
Went well until I snapped it-now it only collects dust.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I love the look of the squid without flyers for small waves: http://www.markrichardssurfboards.com/b ... _squid.php

I like the look of the Mega-twin for a Sydney all rounder: http://www.markrichardssurfboards.com/b ... gatwin.php

Still, despite these boards claiming to be fishes I much prefer more extreme designs on mine. These still look more like a typical HPS to me... but thats just me. I enjoy different boards and spent too many years on HPS's to keep surfing fresh.
Had a Mega twin for a couple of years - pretty good but bit sluggish at times me thought and have heard you can get a bit more out of the Super, the Rocket Fish quite quick and they just used to be called Rockets think the additional Fish might be to align with the focus on fishes that kicked off a few years ago. In any event its a bit of a hybrid but does surf a little flat if your ok with that.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:28 pm

buzzy wrote: Good luck and happy shopping. .
soooooooooo out my price range it's not even on my bucket list :oops:

i'm only interested cause said mate who owns one....well....his surfing has massivly improved on it :shock:

like...massive....we surf shit waves together all the time...we hunt shit waves...it's the only way have a surf without the crowds nowdays :cry: and i can see it with my eyes....his surfing has improved big time :? it's gotta be the board :!:
Cpt.Caveman wrote:I love the look of the squid without flyers for small waves.

the flyers are a total turn off for me....there just ugly

but MR has been using em for ages so no doubt he knows were put em

p.s the rails on the other hand....are just lovely

p.p.s if it looks like a fish...smells like a fish..tastes like a fish......odds are it's a fish :mrgreen:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:20 pm

would have thought you would of had your teeth in it already fong... at least just a hook...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:46 am

The sad thing about what Fong is evidencing with his own eyes is that it's not a universally transmittable thing.
WTF! Am I on about you ask.
Basically Fong's mate could well have found the board that allows him to surf better.
Doesn't mean that board will do jack for any of us.
:cry:
Put me on a hpsb these days and I can barely stand up.
Put me on Pridmore's "dumpling" and people see potential.
:lol:
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am

.....and that is golden moment.