Singles and twinnies ???

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

do modern singles and twins out perform old skool ones

definitely
54%
some old ones go well but most were dogs
15%
they are all dogs, I could never ride anything but a thruster coz I am a narrow minded tosser
15%
the old skool ones are the best coz they were shaped by guys who rode em and they have soul from back in tha day
15%

Total votes: 13

Wingnut
regular

Re: Singles and twinnies ???

Post by Wingnut » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 pm

Picked up my new "old school" 70's style single fin on Sunday, can't wait to take it for a run this coming Saturday.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:09 am

don't be scared to put a shorter,less raked, more basey fin on that puppy if you want more drive.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:42 am

steve shearer wrote:don't be scared to put a shorter,less raked, more basey fin on that puppy if you want more drive.
Thanks for the tip, I wanted to get a couple of other fins just to experiment but I'm not sure on what to get. I was thinking of trying a flex-tip like a Greenough style as well.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:00 am

One thing that the older boards definitely can teach us about is how easy it can be to catch waves. With all that foam forward of centre and the flatter rockers the old hackers ( or modern replicas) seem to catch waves nicely. Very suitable for kids & beginners in my experience. A Japanese friend who is a very good surfer rides one all the time in small waves and has helped out many of his mates who were absolutely kooking on modern boards which were too thin/short/rockered.

Having said that, the lack of tail in many of the designs means that they are not very easy to turn and thats where the modern interpretations take over - if you want them to ride like most modern boards do. I have a couple of boards that have a combination of fins boxes so that they can run as bonzers or singles and I mostly ride them as singles with either a Laird Hamilton fin from FutureFins or a Greenough high aspect from Fluid Foils. The boards are modern shapes, rails, templates.

Wingnut - a sweet looking board except for one thing - the deckgrip. Just my opinion but it seems a shame to ruin the aesthetic with stuff that ( in my view) is hardly needed anyway. Ask Occy, you never see the stuff on his boards. How does it ride? Tried the different fins yet?

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:14 am

the kalakau kid wrote: Wingnut - a sweet looking board except for one thing - the deckgrip. Just my opinion but it seems a shame to ruin the aesthetic with stuff that ( in my view) is hardly needed anyway. Ask Occy, you never see the stuff on his boards. How does it ride? Tried the different fins yet?
I have to say that after I applied it i didn't like it so much but I've just got so used to using a tailpad on my short boards(I may remove it later). My shaper says although the board is old style it will handle more like a modern board with better application of concaves etc than what was used back then. He also claims cutback should be no problem as well, but obviously not as easy as a modern thruster.

I wanted to go single fin to improve my surfing by using the rail more. This board also has a good rocker for waves 3ft and up, should handle decent sized swell.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:32 am

Who shaped it by the way? Is Lotus the name of the company or the board model? Just curious.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:30 pm

the kalakau kid wrote:Who shaped it by the way? Is Lotus the name of the company or the board model? Just curious.
The Lotus board is a Bing model which I based my board shape on.

My actual board was shaped by Steve Friedman (Friedman Flyers) in Vicco. He originally came from California, spent the 70's in Maui & ended up here in the mid 80's.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:48 pm

I thought there was something familiar about that logo. Hope it goes well - post an update once you've had some good waves with it.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:44 pm

Wingnut wrote:
steve shearer wrote:don't be scared to put a shorter,less raked, more basey fin on that puppy if you want more drive.
Thanks for the tip, I wanted to get a couple of other fins just to experiment but I'm not sure on what to get. I was thinking of trying a flex-tip like a Greenough style as well.
i had a 12 inch flex tip in my mcgrigor (it's original fin). i replaced it with a 7 inch modern goerge greenough fin. it seems to go better. defintely improved the turns, might be from having more drive.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:03 pm

I tried a 9" fin similar in shape to the one on the picture on Saturday but it was obvious to me straight away that the fin was too broad in the base & the extra length probably didn't help either. Most of my box fins are from my longboards.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi Wingnut, sweet looking single mate. I just ordered a channel islands single fin MSF model 6'5". Keep up the feedback on fins mate, iv got a feeling i might need it. especially as yours looks so similar and has similar specs.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Sold my Firewire last night & I'm thinking of getting another single fin, possibly a 6'4" pin tail with flyers. And a bit more rocker for those fast low tide beach breaks.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:15 pm

from firewire to sigle fin ?, thats a big change.... 8)

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:29 pm

pridmore wrote:from firewire to sigle fin ?, thats a big change.... 8)
Yeah I know, lol. I'm a bit over having the latest & greatest on the market, I love the versatility & ease of paddling a solid single fin & don't really care about tearing a wave apart these days.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:28 pm

Iv had the MSF for a week and a half now and i can't get off it. What a versatile fun fast easy board to surf. the only time i felt like it was all wrong was last sat when it was head and a half and a bit sucky. The board is so quick that i ended up being out of control, so paddled in to swap for my 6'9"pintail thruster. I would say im a convert.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.