5 fins?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

daleknowles
regular

5 fins?

Post by daleknowles » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:59 pm

The board:

Rusty Piranha – 6’0 (19.2” wide, 2.4” thick).

C5 fin setup

I want a fish, I usually ride a 6'5" x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4 thruster, but want a fish, do you think this is too big for me? I want to be able to ride it in small waves, and medium sized weak wind affected waves (especially the wind affected part)

also what is the advantage of the c5 fin system? (aka 5 fins, looks a little silly if you ask me)

pridmore
Owl status

5 fins

Post by pridmore » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:53 pm

:roll:
Last edited by pridmore on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bood
Grommet

Post by bood » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:14 pm

mactavish do a 5 fin carver fish. great for open face, down the line, but i'm told it works much better as a thruster for beach breaks. although i saw a guy on a G&S bonzer 7'6"(mini mal or hydbrid) or thereabouts, surfing manly a couple of weeks ago. peaky, clean but sectioning 2 ft. he was noticably getting more drive than anyone else out there IMO, and there were a few. looked like fun.

daleknowles
regular

Re: 5 fins?

Post by daleknowles » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:47 am

it has been years since I posted this, I do live in canada, but I also read these a fair amount. (except for the rugby posts).

I didn't get the fish, (got a thruster) but I am in the process of building one.

I think I will take that advise of making the rails thin, my current fish is pretty big, and has super thick rails, I want to try something different. I'm going to go the 3 fin set up, but I'm also going to buy an extra centre fin, file it down into a 1/3rd fin to loosen it up a little.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:52 am

dubble
Last edited by Beerfan on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:53 am

Google greg griffin for some 5 fin ideas. Looks wrong but im yet to see a bad review about any of his boards. He uses flat bottoms, and sharp edges all along the rail from memory ( could be wrong on the rail edge ).

http://www.griffinsurfboards.com/

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/ ... .jpg[/img]

Fredo
Grommet

Post by Fredo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:12 pm

I've currently got a 5-fin Bing Synchronizer bonzer on order from the USA. It utilises the Pro Box fin system and the optional fin set-ups will broaden its versatility - like five or six boards in one!!!

See - http://www.bingsurf.com/surfboards_synchronizer
and the fin setups - http://www.bingsurf.com/downloads/synch ... ctions.pdf

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:08 pm

I've only ridden this 6'2" as a quad so far and it goes great but I'm keen to try as a five fin. My initial thoughts are that there maybe too much drag...

ImageImage

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:58 pm

I've got a 6'2 Firewire Dominator that i want to give a go as a finner.
It's set up as a quad at the moment with 7's and 3's, and it's going really well.
I'm thinking about using a GS Trailer fin for the 5th fin. I've got a few combo's in mind and thought i'd get some opinions first.
Would you just stick a trailer in your favourite quad set up? Or would you work with picking a fin area measurement and trying to spread that around the tail in different configurations?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:09 pm

try reducing fin area..maybe 3's in front, then G1000's and a tiny tail fin ( maybe GX -dble foil or smaller if you can )....
I played with quads and did a 6'er too and found that you can reduce the overall total fin area quite a bit when you have additional fins, especially in smaller waves and flatter faced waves....the depth and base is required when things get a bit more serious but I surfed the 6'er with all GX sized fins in 3ft waves no probs.....push the boundaries Jet, might as well seeing how you have got the fin bug too...Capt Caveman has it bad also....ha ha ha ....be fun to get together with all our fins one day and see who had what and try some diff combos.... 8)