which board?

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

prepare
regular

which board?

Post by prepare » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:21 pm

i ride prone, looking @

1)Custom X Booth 41" Polypro Bodyboard, Polypro core, g-shaft stringer, TCD deck & double rails. New Surlyn slick bottoms. 60/40 rails for $423

or

2)Four Play Element Polypro 41" Bodyboard Features: Prone template, E-Flex, Stringers, Contour Deck, Nose Bulbs, Channels, Bat Tail, 60/40 Rails, Hand Crafted $415

dont really know much about boards but im leaning towards the custom X at the moment.

christopher
regular

Post by christopher » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:53 pm

dont go with the customx if ur only gunna prone.

u will perform better on a more prone shape than the booth as its a versatile shape which is very straight 4 dk.

id be gettin something with a bit more of a curve 4 prone. the element looks like a good shape but its a bit overpriced.

keep in mind - when buying a board the shape comes before the specs.

lots of board companies put heaps of gimmick shit on their boards and jack the price up.

i had an old O+E with PE core and HDPE slick and normal deck. cost me like $125 when i first got it. it last me 5 years. travelling, landing on rocks, skimming, sandboarding, busses, trains roofrax, trailers...everything. and it still pulls off some nice airs.

it was a really good shape to suit my style and even tho i didn't pay top dollar for it, it lasted and went just like any other board.

theres nothing worse than seeing bodyboarders with the best boards on the market and when they get in the water they can only do a cutback at the most...
its better to have a board suited to your abilities than to turn up at a spot and get bagged out for having the best equipment yet being shit.

do some research. the booth is a fuckin great board and i would have bought it if they had some in stock but they didn't. if u have absolutely no intention of dking ever then go with a prone board. but remember - there will always be a time when the surf is small and u and ur mates take off your fins to try some dk or standup. this is how i got hooked on dropknee. its hard to learn but once your up its worth it.

so if you want the option to get up then go with a versatile board. but if it pure barrels and airs then go with the prone board.

hope i helped.

i raved on too much. sorry. dont think of me as a dickhead.
have fun :P

stuart900

Post by stuart900 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:12 pm

i had a booth dow for a while, its a pretty nice board, custom x make good quality stuff (better than 4play in my opinion) but as Chris said, if you really dont want to ride dk, then get a board with a better prone shape cos the booth isnt that fast prone. if you dont know that much about boards, you probably dont need to spend $450 on a board unless you are loaded.

prepare
regular

Post by prepare » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:13 pm

thanks man,

I have a 5 yr old O E kirra that ive been using but its totally falling apart, im def not one to go for the most exp and best but i tried the 4play element the other day and couldnt believe how much faster it was then my old board.

SpoNgeR_69
regular

Post by SpoNgeR_69 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:58 pm

the fred booth is part drop knee ey.....
the elements r fair sick..
in my opinion NMD player is the way 2 go for any prone rider
I would surf too if i couldnt bodyboard

Luke
Local

Post by Luke » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:07 pm

Chris, sick info mate! keep it up eh :)