way too under-rated

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

muzza
regular

way too under-rated

Post by muzza » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:43 pm

So Paulo Barcellos won the Pipe comp (he was also world champ a while back) and also in the top 8 we had Uri Valadao and Hugo Pinheiro. To most of us these guys are just names but if they are kicking this much arse, especially in the Pipe contest, why don't they feature more in videos and magazines? After all, these 3 did "school" the entire Aussie contingent (except for BP) in this contest. And don't say it's because they live so far away from us, so does Pierre. Any comments?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:26 pm

Simle, because they live so far. Pierre is like a phenom of course he will get in the mags, but wouldnt it be a bit troubling for the mags and filmers to get a hold of these guys etc when they have so many guys shredding in their back yard.

I remember a while back riptide featured a trip to canary islands, they were talking about some local shredders who would have every boogie turn their head the opposite direction when mentioned, but they would shred hard, i think it was hubb or virtue saying how if they lived in aus or hawaii they wouldnt have any troubles getting a big sponsorship etc.

They need to market themselves as much as the mags do finding them, i doubt people have enough budget to go around chasing these guys.

Also i doubt there would be as much interest to most boogies for these guys as there would winny, BP etc.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:15 pm

Very underrated! He is a veteran champ. Deserves the win for sure.

I think Portugal, Brazil and Canary Islands are very big bodyboarder nations, but we have the biggest bodyboard media. I guess its just too far. Maybe they dont think we want to hear about them. I for one certainly do.

I reckon they should make a bodyboard movie that goes around each country to show the worlds best for that nation. All around the world. It would bring attention to rippers all over and attract sponsor companies from all over as well.

It might get our heads out of the sand that you have to have a style like Hardy to have style. All these other countrys lidders have their own styles and ways of riding waves.

chopescahrger
regular

Post by chopescahrger » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:59 pm

because he doesnt cross his legs like hardya and doesnt wear churchills

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:44 am

Revolution wrote:Simle, because they live so far. Pierre is like a phenom of course he will get in the mags, but wouldnt it be a bit troubling for the mags and filmers to get a hold of these guys etc when they have so many guys shredding in their back yard.

I remember a while back riptide featured a trip to canary islands, they were talking about some local shredders who would have every boogie turn their head the opposite direction when mentioned, but they would shred hard, i think it was hubb or virtue saying how if they lived in aus or hawaii they wouldnt have any troubles getting a big sponsorship etc.

They need to market themselves as much as the mags do finding them, i doubt people have enough budget to go around chasing these guys.

Also i doubt there would be as much interest to most boogies for these guys as there would winny, BP etc.
good to see pierre ripping it up he stayed at my house 3 years ago and couldnt speak one bit english but good too see he has risen in the ranks he has the skills to go all the way