Firewire Surfboards

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:It delaminates off other foams easier.
Can’t underestimate preparation Nick, and that is where even XPS can come unravelled. Never fear oh learned one, I have been doing my homework. :wink:

It should be less likely to, compared to other products, given its cell structure. I have quite the collection. :D

Might call this next board ‘6 degrees of separation’ if something delams.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:36 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:http://www.realsurf.com/news/newsitem.php?id=1589

webbers idea shits all over firewires

(just stirrin :lol: )
Didn’t you have fangled Webber fongle? Thought you didn’t like it?

I like the look of them, but hey that’s me.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:47 pm

Youse got one of those lined up testing yet knackerless :arrow: be interesting to see how much drive they have :?:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:23 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
pinhead wrote:Klegecell isn't as good as Core-cell or Divinycell.
What makes you say that P? Because of the more open cell structure?
I’ve got both and the Kleg feels a lot less compressible than the cell foam.
R. Compressive strength is important but what you also want is high elongation or ductability. This means the foam will bend a lot before it deforms or breaks – this usually equates to good flex response, memory and resistance to snapping, compared to the other foams Core-cell was better in this regard and became more favourably regarded by sailboard and boat builders. The old formular Divinycell and Klegecell were considered to be too brittle compared to Core-cell. They changed the Divinycell formular and it’s pretty tough shit now. They might have changed the Klegecell formular too and it might be as good as Core-cell now. Klegecell is marketed as the more cost effective option compared to Divinycell

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:44 pm

munch wrote:Youse got one of those lined up testing yet knackerless :arrow: be interesting to see how much drive they have :?:
Not yet...but I will, don't worry.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:47 pm

ric_vidal wrote:[
Didn’t you have fangled Webber fongle? Thought you didn’t like it?

I like the look of them, but hey that’s me.
it had it's charms and it's curses :idea: :wink:

i should went a little more conservative with the plan shape

u can imagine mr webbers slightly eccentric.....so with me :lol:

egging him on.....we went too the "far side" :lol:

i'm actually in negotiations too buy the bloody thing back....go figure :!: :?

love /hate relationships :roll:

the ONE thing is he needs keep the concave thu the tail....it sort went too a flat around the back fin on mine....lost it's squirt :?

and the laminators glass a quality job....i wonder if there making this new tech :?: cause i wouldn't hesitate buy one them....i'm fussy on glass jobs....they do some the best

but yeah.....i'm still into the design....his a great shaper/designer

if his reading this :arrow:

how about another discount :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i like the sound of his new tech.....seems a nicer fit than firewire ( and others) are doing :idea:

test run report nick nack......asap :!: :x

surf journalists.....call riding boards research....bludgers :lol:

p.s despite being a harden cynic ( souths win this year :lol: ) isn't it great too see all these new ideas floating around trying improve our fun in the water :idea:

about bloody time too :wink:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:08 pm

collnarra wrote:I think there's a lot of life left in current technology. As I've posted elsewhere, CNC machining and CAD design should have lead to a renaissance in custom board building - but it hasn't.

After having spoken to lots of shapers (everyone from Eric Arakawa to Chilli to Simon Anderson to Warner and Dave Wood) over the last few years, and after having asked them what it is that most customers want, they inevitably respond: fast / manouverable / forgiving / sensitive / strong / light.

Those qualities essentially make up the extremes of a three axis plot of board features.

I'd argue that most customers don't really want a custom board - and most shapers aren't able to deliver a true custom anyway. It's easier for them to offer a range of designs, and then the customer can choose something that more or less fits with the bounds of a design, appeals to them, and has a brand name (which explains the mystifying appearance of boards from Channel Islands on local beaches).

Shapers could keep electronic records of the last board you had from them, and then use that as a basis for your next order. But most don't keep these records except for team members. And if they did keep customer records, what purpose would it serve? Most surfers simply don't care.

There simply aren't that many artisan shapers left. Mark Rabbidge is one, the guy that makes PURE could be another (although I haven't yet gone to visit him). The rest are designers that spec out a range of designs and offer them. There's nothing wrong with that, and most surfers are getting better boards now than they were ten years ago. But whether those boards suit them is another thing altogether....
some bewildering comments regarding what customers want and what shapers are able to do.... from customers and other shapers that I know, you are way off. I keep all records ( electronic and the old paper and pen )of every board I ever make and I know that others do the same. You say most surfers dont care? Well they care alot, they want good boards that suit them , thats why custom boards will not be extinct by the end of the decade or ten years or whenever . There are too many different shape,styles,wave types, likes ,dislikes etc. etc. for a handful of designs to suit everybody, there has to be boards designed for peoples specific requirements. Some people also thoroughly enjoy being involved in the process of the custom board, the personalised touch to something that hopefully will give you lots of pleasure, and the anticipation of surfing someting that was only designed with you in mind, . Starting to ramble on but sorry mate, custom boards and shaping wont be going away anytime soon and I think you are out of touch with what your average surfer truly thinks about his boards . There is massive changes currently takin place in the industry but some will flop and some may succeed but only time will tell, cheers

rmshapes
Grommet

Post by rmshapes » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:20 am

I'm with you Pridmore. The comment that there are hardly any artisans left is ludicrous. I can proudly say that I can shape anything with confidence and out of any type of foam, glass, or resin. Machine or not.
Sure I use a shaping machine for most of my production, but I can get a blank out of the rafters and shape it. Not like the new school, machine-fed, corner rounders who are out there.
Colnarra wake up and smell the roses. You seem too wrapped up in all the "latest technology" and flavour-of-the-month shapers that you overlook the experienced shaping fraternity who have poured their hearts and souls into a really tough industry for decades.
The problem is everyone on these forums think they are experts and prefer to believe journos for their board advice over shapers. This pisses me off!
Here's an offer to all you realsurfers - come around to my factory and showroom, check out the sticks and see what we do. It will do you some good to get out of the square you're stuck in. Find out what's really going on and talk to someone who can really help with your surfing rather than "talking the talk".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:14 am

rmshapes wrote:I'm with you Pridmore. The comment that there are hardly any artisans left is ludicrous. I can proudly say that I can shape anything with confidence and out of any type of foam, glass, or resin. Machine or not.
Sure I use a shaping machine for most of my production, but I can get a blank out of the rafters and shape it. Not like the new school, machine-fed, corner rounders who are out there.
Colnarra wake up and smell the roses. You seem too wrapped up in all the "latest technology" and flavour-of-the-month shapers that you overlook the experienced shaping fraternity who have poured their hearts and souls into a really tough industry for decades.
The problem is everyone on these forums think they are experts and prefer to believe journos for their board advice over shapers. This pisses me off!
Here's an offer to all you realsurfers - come around to my factory and showroom, check out the sticks and see what we do. It will do you some good to get out of the square you're stuck in. Find out what's really going on and talk to someone who can really help with your surfing rather than "talking the talk".
way too many experts .

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:05 pm

rmshapes wrote:I'm with you Pridmore. The comment that there are hardly any artisans left is ludicrous. I can proudly say that I can shape anything with confidence and out of any type of foam, glass, or resin. Machine or not.
So true!

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:31 pm

rmshapes wrote: Colnarra wake up and smell the roses. You seem too wrapped up in all the "latest technology" and flavour-of-the-month shapers that you overlook the experienced shaping fraternity who have poured their hearts and souls into a really tough industry for decades.
Most of the guys bringing this tech to market, guys like Bob Mac Tavish, Dick Van Straalen, Nev, Bert Burger, Greg Loehr, Stretch, etc are the experienced shaping fraternity - Some of them been trying for years to convince crew you can make lighter, stronger, and yes better performing boards if you just look beyond PU. It isn't a fad, this is stuff that has been around for donkeys and it's now getting a bit of attention due to the net, where minority voices can be heard. I rode PU for 20 years, stock and custom boards, I heard about this stuff on the net I tried it and I ride now. Why? because I like it better. If I'd just been listening to my local shaper I'd still be riding PU.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:47 am

i'm thinking long and hard about the "new" tech

i've got a new board in the budget....and am keen to go with custom design

but....as pinhead (kinda) says.....if i don't try it (the new tech) how can i be sure i'm not missing out on something :?

than again....$1000 is a stupid amount money pay for a new, unproven, design :idea:

if there so good.....why is only 1 of the worlds best riding them (and don't forget his getting paid to put em under his feet :!: )

surly the pro's be after them if there so much better performance wise :?

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:22 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
surly the pro's be after them if there so much better performance wise :?
There's not much in it performance wise if you compare one of these to a team glassed pro board made from super light foam. But the thing is these things don't fall apart after three months. Pro's don't care if their boards only last a couple of sessions - they get them for free. Before Taj used Firewires he was actually blowing heats because his boards were creasing.

I see some stores are offering Firewire demos - try one and see if you like it. I don't know if you can demo the Fibreflex boards. The perimeter stringers have a different feel - some people like it others don't. If you like the feel - then you could get a custom from Sunova or Hayden

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:42 pm

I sort of agree with you Salty. Unless you have money to burn then I think its a better option getting a custom PU of your local shaper...

I think before too long a lot of local PU shapers will be doing epoxy parbolic prototypes of their own... ie annessley and misfit

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Whilst I can appreciate your "shoot from the hip" type attitude as I can see its passion, I'd be careful on how you direct it, as how do you know that for some of the guys on here, may have had more experience than you ? I'll admit that there are a lot of guys that probably don't know much, but there are still some heads on here that have seen a lot as well.......
For the record for every person that comes into my store looking for the latest tech board, there another 10 that are happy to continue getting their customs.
But its like retail and every other industry out there, the pie is getting no bigger and everyones piece is just getting smaller and smaller.......

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:11 pm

re salt :arrow: I don't think 2 weeks is enough for the transition from center stringer to perimeter, well it wasn't for me :arrow:

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:57 am

Just an observation regarding my firewire..

I enjoy surfing on my firewire, however I find it is really unpredictable to surf on. Sometimes I will do a turn that feels sick and real snappy and bigger than expected but other times it will do something completely different than what I was intending to do.

I guess I should probably surf purely my firewire for a solid few weeks to really get a feel for it.

But at the moment, when the surf is good and I dont want to stuff around I cant resist to take out my trusty old 6'0 PU.

So I guess my question is, do you think there are some disadvatnages associated with the changed flex patterns in a parabolic stringered board in terms of unpredictability or is it simply a matter of getting used to it?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:17 pm

my two weeks, was a holiday up the coast in mostly sucky chopped up smallish waves, where I surfed at least twice a day :arrow: that should answer your question ...