Post by DV8 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Interested to know what combo of fins you dudes are using in your QUADS
if your running with a FCS set up :?:

RichQ
regular

Re: FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Post by RichQ » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:17 pm

four :D

OK the last board I did was a simple Simon set - performance core S25.

Oh, it's RV not RichQ responding.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:57 pm

:lol: Iknew someone would slip through the cracks :roll:

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Im using M5's on the front and M3's on the back on a Fat-bat,
and a brand new quad with M3's and G1000's that i havnt had a good test on yet.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 pm

DV8 wrote:Interested to know what combo of fins you dudes are using in your QUADS
I am using a mixture of different configurations ATM , what shape and design is the board ??? have you surfed it yet and what fins did you have in it ? how did it go ??? 8) 8)

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:01 pm

pridmore wrote:
DV8 wrote:Interested to know what combo of fins you dudes are using in your QUADS
I am using a mixture of different configurations ATM , what shape and design is the board ??? have you surfed it yet and what fins did you have in it ? how did it go ??? 8) 8)
Board is on the drawing board at the moment Prid . For 1-3ft grovel, going to be around 6'2 x 21 x2/3/8 swallow I'm thinking .Sounds long but I'm 6'4 and my standard shorty is 6"6 . More of a curvier outline than your standard fish bit more width forward . :wink:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:35 pm

I would go M5's at the front and M3's on the back, sounds like a Fat-Bat type shape and that works great for me...good happy medium between drive and manouverability... 8)

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:17 pm

I used the Mackee formula on my quad and it works great. Check:

http://www.mckeesurf.com/brucemckee/multisystem.htm

All the measurements and fin set ups are detailed there.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:03 pm

dinosaur wrote:Ok. I haven't tried double foil fins in the back. The fin set up on mine is closer to the rail than the stringer with the tow set of fins toe in on a similar line. My mate who shaped it did one for himself similar, tried the double foils and thought they made it feel a bit dead.
double foils seem better to link turns together but maybe a touch less drive ( maybe slightly 'duller ' ) ???
single side foils seem better for sharp , fast directional surfing and not as flowing thru turns.. IMO

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:35 pm

dinosaur wrote:
pridmore wrote:
dinosaur wrote:Ok. I haven't tried double foil fins in the back. The fin set up on mine is closer to the rail than the stringer with the tow set of fins toe in on a similar line. My mate who shaped it did one for himself similar, tried the double foils and thought they made it feel a bit dead.
double foils seem better to link turns together but maybe a touch less drive ( maybe slightly 'duller ' ) ???
single side foils seem better for sharp , fast directional surfing and not as flowing thru turns.. IMO
yeah that sounds pretty right, although this board will still flow out of a turn pretty well, especially when the mid part of the rail connects. Still has a very slight flat feel sometimes on dead parts of the wave. Maybe a slightly deeper double concave through the tail would fix that.
and or a touch more area ???

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:39 pm

dinosaur wrote:what a wider tail? mmm i dunno might start getting into fish territory which would only make it feel flatter, I would've thought.
nah, not alot wider, just a touch more planing area will allow you to get thru the dead sections , combined with the double you spoke of to get it up on rail easily....imo.... 8)

johno_52

Post by johno_52 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:08 pm

yeh just using the M5's in the front and the M3's in the back they work good on a fat-bat.......if you use the M3's make sure you have them foiled each side..
Johno

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:32 pm

gave some TC Aqualines a go in a borrowed 6'2" Sunova last weekend, really good! Thought the tiny trailers would make the board too loose for me... but they were sweet.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:42 pm

just rode my new Quadfather and I put in M3's ( hand foiled fibreglass ) in front and my old faithful G5's ( plastic, lots of flex, the kids have drawn over them and they must be 8-10 yrs old ) and it felt great. I was thinking the stiffer glass ones at front with the very slightly smaller but flexier ones at the back could work well and it felt very positive, only 1 surf but so far so good...definitely looking further into this one.... 8) oh yeah, board is 6'1 1/2" x 19 1/4" x 2 7/16", diamond tail.... 8)
pics on thread called '6 finner' in GSD... 8)

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:59 pm

So I'm wanting my quad to behave closer to a tri than a twin so to speak in that I'd still like some pivot in the pocket and I understand fin placement is crucial for this , but is the inside foiled fins or old standard flat inside going to affect this at all ?

Anyone tried rusty FCS Quad set ?
From reading up seems like say M5 with G-1000's is a popular combo anyone experience this ?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:12 pm

havent tried that exact set up but have tried many others similar and think that you might find that set up very snappy in the pocket and may lack some drive thru carves...but obviously depends on the board and how you surf...but you said you want it to go like a tri-fin ??? maybe ride a tri-fin ??? ( thats not meant to sound smart either )...I have had customers ask for quads and they say they want it to feel like a thruster...I dont understand...but I think Mckee's placements are the most thruster feeling ( only ridden a few ) and then frot and back fins to be of simlar size and same template ( or similar ) say M5's and M3's....too small in the tail and they are snappy but lack thrust thru turns, too big and you have the drive but they are stiff, probably saying the obvious here so I will shut up now...just my opinion... 8)

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:16 pm

The number of possible quad combinations is out-there...Definately its not restricted to one outright set of off-the-shelf designated quads, from what I can read here.

I think you could have heaps of fun tinkering with it. Certainly I've had some boards that benefitted from a fin change, but I've never been one to actually swap in the space of one session...(Paddling...why do more of it!)

I'm taking some cues from Bruce Mckee and his spec-sheets, with thanks...its good to get some thoughts consolidated with his experience.

Going from one extreme to the other is probably the way to reveal the most, say, the difference between the rubbery old black plastic ones and the aluminium daggers I rode for a while!

So if we get you a quad Deev', you are my feedback man...you and wingnut...

Josh

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:06 pm

pridmore wrote:havent tried that exact set up but have tried many others similar and think that you might find that set up very snappy in the pocket and may lack some drive thru carves...but obviously depends on the board and how you surf...but you said you want it to go like a tri-fin ??? maybe ride a tri-fin ??? ( thats not meant to sound smart either )...I have had customers ask for quads and they say they want it to feel like a thruster...I dont understand...but I think Mckee's placements are the most thruster feeling ( only ridden a few ) and then frot and back fins to be of simlar size and same template ( or similar ) say M5's and M3's....too small in the tail and they are snappy but lack thrust thru turns, too big and you have the drive but they are stiff, probably saying the obvious here so I will shut up now...just my opinion... 8)
Yeah Prid I know what your saying ......why not get another Tri ? ........I've never rode a quad before and from the 100 + posts I've trawled through it seems like a quad is either really like a twinny but with more drive or closer to a tri with more drive ( people love em or people hate em) ............I want to be a lover !!!! So just trying to eliminate possible stumbling blocks . I want something different to ride 2/3ft surf in but not over the top different ...... oops rambling but I think you get the drift ??