Firewire

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Deesee
barnacle

Re: Firewire

Post by Deesee » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Also Longinus, are there new sizes for the fish available?

Has anyone surfed the fish model? How did it go?
If it feels good, do it.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:21 am

Sam did a 6'2" Fish which is the one we have available now. Initially there were plans to do larger fishes for bigger guys etc but it just wasn't required. 6'2" x 19 9/16" x 2 1/2" with a fish template in this sandwich technology is stacks of buoyancy, anything else would be way too corky.

I personally wouldn't recommend it as a first step down from a funboard though,it is a performance fish. The bigger Squash Series fill the funboard replacement niche IMO. The 6'7" for example for me paddles / floats exactly the same as a 7'2" McTavish Carver. Of course you can still hang 5 on a 7'2" Carver - you cant on a Resin8 but the Resin8 is way faster - like all boards depends what you want it for I guess.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:29 pm

pridmore wrote:the wax is great..bit of rash but plenty of grip....its the shitttte.... :) I often wonder why the other pros arent riding Firewires or similar ??? if they are so much better or even a tiny bit of an advantage, surely the pros would want to be on them ??? even though they are sponsored by other board labels, surely some or even just a few would be riding them for this performance benefit ??? Not knocking the boards, just wondering ??? Johno, by getting the Firewire, do you hope to surf more like Taj ? have a look how Taj surfed before he rode them, when he rode PU's from Webber and co...he surfed just the same mate, dont be fooled by marketing hype, sure try the boards and if you like them, get one, but just buy for the right reasons, again not being negative anout firewire or any boards, just lots of marketing hype and not even Taj is on em now so gotta wonder why ???? JMO 8)
Marketing Hype - your kidding right?? Fat Bat travelling round the east coast just as a kind gesture for all your brother surfers right? Cmon, I admire and respect what your doing and hope you do well out of it, but your no different to FW. No one markets on this site like you. I have a couple of FW's and love them, I have tried some of their shapes and they didnt work for me BUT..... I have given all of them a massive flogging and hardly a dent. Tough as and a joy to ride. Much rather pay the extra couple of hundred and have something last. BTW lots of pros ride them. Brent Dorrington has been riding them and his old man shapes PU boards.

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:04 pm

I actually enjoy reading Pridmore's posts, and the more he advertises his product, good for him. The ground level R & D and passion is what we should all be looking for in a shaper. That Fat Bat thread is a good read and got me stoked for my next board. Pridmore, how much do quad fat bats sell for?
If it feels good, do it.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:55 pm

Deesee wrote:I actually enjoy reading Pridmore's posts, and the more he advertises his product, good for him. The ground level R & D and passion is what we should all be looking for in a shaper. That Fat Bat thread is a good read and got me stoked for my next board. Pridmore, how much do quad fat bats sell for?
So do I , but lets call a spade a spade, Pridmore markets and markets well, but its all just marketing, not a dirty word in my book, but no different to FW.

elbows
Grommet

Post by elbows » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:39 pm

there you go priddles, a pridmore is no different to a firewire.

axolotl

Post by axolotl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:16 am

News flash!!!! Taj was still on firewires.
RichQ your just like a chick in a push up bra, getting shapers all excited untill all is revealed. :roll:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:49 am

axolotl wrote:News flash!!!! Taj was still on firewires.
RichQ your just like a chick in a push up bra, getting shapers all excited untill all is revealed. :roll:
Well that’s interesting as Rhino Laminating borrowed Rich’s Future’s router to do some PU (I believe) boards for Taj. Shaped by Lee Stacey, who was or is ‘working alongside’ Chilli, so it may be some fibreflexi gizmo, then again if it’s being laminating at Rhino it isn’t going to be a fibreflex as that is Hayden’s gig.

Bit of a thread on the ASL forum re Lee Stacey FFS: http://www.surfinglife.com.au/phpbb2/vi ... f=6&t=3117

FWIW axolotl, Rich and I were doing the XTR epoxy work for Rhino so the information is about as direct as we can get.

Maybe he isn’t up to speed on the new gear yet or just didn’t like ’em?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:22 am

ric_vidal wrote:Bit of a thread on the ASL forum re Lee Stacey FFS:
Lee Stacey FFS. Is that a for F**cks sake, or a fibre flex surfboard.

Gotta watch those TLA's.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:23 am

LONGINUS wrote: all Sam Egan and Wade Tokoro Models at $900 AUSD delivered.
$900 eh. Now how could I get my hands on a spare $900 pretty quickly :?: :?: :D
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:38 am

Lol, believe it or not, its pure coincidence that the price for the boards and Kevin's handout are about the same :oops:
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:42 am

oldman wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:Bit of a thread on the ASL forum re Lee Stacey FFS:
Lee Stacey FFS. Is that a for F**cks sake, or a fibre flex surfboard.
Both :D

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:59 am

LONGINUS wrote:Lol, believe it or not, its pure coincidence that the price for the boards and Kevin's handout are about the same :oops:
Excuse my ignorance Mr Longinus, Sir, but whereabouts is your shop??

Got a web page??????? Don't know if there is anything I need at the moment but always would prefer to send my custom to people I know if I have the chance.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:02 pm

oldman wrote:
LONGINUS wrote:Lol, believe it or not, its pure coincidence that the price for the boards and Kevin's handout are about the same :oops:
Excuse my ignorance Mr Longinus, Sir, but whereabouts is your shop??

Got a web page??????? Don't know if there is anything I need at the moment but always would prefer to send my custom to people I know if I have the chance.
No probs, http://www.surfingatlas.com. All the boards are listed in the store tab. On ebay as well, just search on Resin8. We are based in Sydney city but ship the boards from the warehouse in Manly. PM me with any questions if I can help before I get bashed on the head again for advertising in the forums :wink:

pointboardrider

Post by pointboardrider » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:09 am

but doesn't fall apart in three months.
Its a surfboard...they are all made to fall apart. Im not gonna fight out a long argument here. But I know a local shaper who fixes at least one a week. Snappages, air bubbles,stress marks, cracks near the air release , sunken decks,did I say air bubbles? these boards are not unbreakable.
I spose its how you surf, and what sort of a history you have with breaking boards. The sales rep aint gonna care if you snapped your last 5 boards near the fins trying to land a big air are they!

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:23 am

pointboardrider wrote:Its a surfboard...they are all made to fall apart.
Only those with unproven technology or insufficent R and D time / money. The rush to get some of the more recent innovative boards out into the market to turn a buck before they were ready will be their ultimate undoing.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:26 am

pointboardrider wrote:these boards are not unbreakable.
No boards are unbreakable, PBR and if they were you probably wouldn’t like them. It’s a matter of are you prepared to pay 30-200% more for a board that MAY withstand more of a flogging. You won’t surf 30-200% better, but you may have it longer and it MAY retain it’s value. Depends what you are after. Oh and you may feel good walkin’ down the beach :x now there’s value. :twisted:

Yes there is some pretty dubious quality in the market place produced both locally and from OS, unfortunately a lot of it is unknown until you’ve ridden a board a few times. Some manufacturers have a reputation for taking the cheapest possible root, do your homework and keep your eyes open. Plus people are chasing lightness over longevity, what the hell do people expect? We are talking grams and kilos.

No two ways about it, the Resin8s will definitely be lighter and stronger and so are some others in the market, it’s just a personal thing of whether it is worth it to the individual. They won’t be a silver bullet and you won’t get a custom, but that seems to be where some manufacturers want to drive their clients. Is that for them or us?

Most of the high end boards are way too cheap given the amount of work and material costs, but the market just won’t stand it while PU/poly boards are still cheap and pretty darn good as they are. If guys are habitual board breakers, they should probably change their technique.

Given the Resin8s are currently a US product and the state of the $AUD you can only wish them well.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:26 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Given the Resin8s are currently a US product and the state of the $AUD you can only wish them well.
I hear you Rick, we are the exclusive online reseller in Australia and we have done our absolute best to ring the price down on the Resin8's but $900 is the best we can do. We intend relying on positive feedback and experience from surfers who can afford to make that kind of investment in a board to help us in justifying the price.

We have one board with a Margaret river based surfer who is trying his best to break one at North Point Gracetown and have a few heading up to the Mentawais this season for 'destructive testing', hope to share these results as they come to hand. Great reports from the pros who rode them this season on the North shore though, based on the quality and size of this season up there, I have to say that gives me a lot of confidence that they are worth the price.