F#ck it, Im getting a new board, but what?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:09 am

fatboy wrote: shame your moneys going off shore though...
well why didn't you BUY something made locally? Fa-rk me drunk. You people making these pathetic excuses for buying lame boards when you could go to someone like Miller and get a board that's perfect for you.

and no, I don't sell his stuff.
c wrote:Well, I paid $750 for the board, bag, tail pad, leash and wax.....It depends where you shop I guess. I got mine from the new board shop in Bondi Junction, it's called "Surf Culture" or something, sounds poor but is actually the only decent board shop around on this side..
where do I start with this one? Mate, there's such a thing as a CAR. You could have driven to a decent surfshop where they may have sold you something decent. Instead you go and buy some overseas piece of garbage coz you get a nice package deal on the cheap-o accessories.

Bah! Snort! Go take up another sport.

fatboy

Post by fatboy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:26 pm

well why didn't you BUY something made locally?
well while you come across as a complete knob jockey you do have a point. and since i don't remember making any lame excuses above i'll make em now. i was very poor at the time hence no shortboard and a mate did me a favour and sold me his near new fishy for a hundred bucks. when i buy new i buy locally always.
from agros post one of these boards would be perfect for him.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:15 pm

fatboy wrote:

from agros post one of these boards would be perfect for him.
but that's not the point, is it? If you want a board you can go to someone local, talk to them, get a board made that's absolutely perfect. Be part of the community. Understand where surfing's come from. Where it's going. Support your shaper.

There are no excuses. Not one.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:26 pm

col not everyone needs to support your values, or give reasons for going against them

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:12 pm

I'm betting Colnarra you've never been into the BoardCulture shop up at Bondi junction. It's got oodles of boards in there, and it's well set out with heaps of room to check 'em out. There's traditional boards, tufflites and Salomons. Personally, I reckon it's a pretty good store. Aside from 6 inch glass down on Glenayr Ave it's hands down the best surf shop in the Eastern Suburbs.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:23 pm

personally i think it's sad surfing is becoming so mainstream and commoditised that what sells is because it's cheap or it's what the current world champion surfs on.

going to a shaper and having a chat and coming up with the right board is something that is a key part of the surfing experience IMO, and getting a bit of basic knowledge about surfboard design and using it to refine wot u like over time thru a few boards is very rewarding and it will only improve your surfing. (Memo to Tracks - board design articles over the past few years are not a patch on what they used to be)

re the original question on this thread - go to a known shaper (there are plenty), be honest about your ability, say what you want to do (cruise/flow/carve??), what waves you want to surf, and ENJOY!

PS and to those who say a custom is too expensive, gimme a break. lay off the beers/bongs/pharmaceuticals/knock shops for a month and there's your dough.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:38 pm

Customs are great, no worries. But this idea that surfing is built on the back of the symbiotic mystical bond between shaper and surfer is just bs. Firstly, after the first boom of the 60's the industry was dominated by mass production both here and in the US (which were then basically the only surf markets). It wasn't until the late 60's that custom boards became more common. I wasn't around then so can't say too much about it but I can say that by the time I started surfing in the late 70's there were heaps of off the rack boards and my bet is that's where the majority of sales went.

I've been surfing over 25 years and I reckon I've got a fair idea of what I like in a board and what I don't. I reckon I can walk into a surf shop, look at the racks and see a board I'll like. It's not bain surgery and if I can get a 6'6" x 19.5" x 2.5" swallow tail thruster today why should I wait 6 weeks for the shaper t get around to it, and then humour him when it's late?

as surfers we should challenge our preconceived notions and try new things; for instance I've owned two surftechs, although didn't like them. And, based on personal experience (unlike most surftech bashing) I can say there's nothing wrong with the construction or the boards, just those particular shapes didn't suit me. I was trying something new in shape and construction.

FFS I can go to church or a PETA rally if I want people to preach to me. It's a surfboard, not a moral code.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:40 pm

...I might just say btw I currently own 4 surfboads; two customs and two off the rack. My favourite I bought off the rack. Go figure.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:40 pm

fong wrote:macca 4 astart your avatar keeps winking at me....so 4 the record i'm not gay....
:lol:
well don't worry, im not either. but now that i think about it, it is a little suss.
you thought of it

Agro
regular

Post by Agro » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:59 am

Jesus, I've started something here havent I. :lol: :lol:

All you purists will be happy to know that I have decided to get a custom shape from Aloha, which FYI are apparently made on Sydneys North Shore.

Planning on getting something similar to the webber fat-burner- http://www.webbersurfboards.com/fatburner.html. Most likely around the following domensions; 6'5 x 20 x 2 5/8

If any one is keen, Im also selling my old board. $300 will do. PM me if your keen.

c

Post by c » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:21 pm

c wrote:
Well, I paid $750 for the board, bag, tail pad, leash and wax.....It depends where you shop I guess. I got mine from the new board shop in Bondi Junction, it's called "Surf Culture" or something, sounds poor but is actually the only decent board shop around on this side..

Collnurra wrote:
where do I start with this one? Mate, there's such a thing as a CAR. You could have driven to a decent surfshop where they may have sold you something decent. Instead you go and buy some overseas piece of garbage coz you get a nice package deal on the cheap-o accessories.

Bah! Snort! Go take up another sport.
Being a scumbag office worker, I only have access to this site at work, hence my lack of a reply.

Whilst others seem to have answered for me, I feel I should post a response anyway.

I understand where you're coming from and the fact that the board had "Made in Thailand" on it did put me off, but at the end of the day it was exactly what I was after and so I bought it. Had I had a car I probably would've driven to Manly to visit the Aloha store, which you will be pleased to hear is where my other board came from. Since I don't I had to check out the local options and was very pleased to find the shop in the Junction (which is actually owned by the guy who's run the Aloha store for the last 10yrs) to be a pretty decent board store. They have heaps of boards and even a central plinth where you can easily spin the board around and check it out. To summarise, I did go to a decent surf shop and I did buy something decent.

As someone else has already pointed out, surfing is a lifestyle and I don't think of it as a sport. Particuarly as I've been doing it for the past 20 or so years. There's no way I could just go off and do something else, even though I'm no way as good as I should be having been involved for so long, it's in my blood and that's that.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:25 pm

Agro, I was hoping you took that pic when it was new but alas
It's either the best glass job EVER, your the best phothog EVER or mate you need to get in the water more not one compression mark etc at 6'3 and 1000kgs after a year it should be swiss cheese, in the future, go harder my son ;)

Agro
regular

Post by Agro » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:31 pm

Bro. Your right mate, havent been getting out there near enough over trhe past year. Thats why I want a new board, trying to relite the surfing flame.

P.S- there are some small depressions and cracks that dont show up in the snap, none the less its still in great nic.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:38 pm

I think Geoff Horner with Ochre surf does some great boards. I just got my last custom from him through realsurf for $520 and its probably the best board I've ridden yet. Hes got about 25 years shaping experience. If you need guns for waves like Indo hes really good as well I've read.

But yeh, my board from him is really really good. The rocker and profile curve really works well to give a good sweet spot and keep speed when you put pressure on the front foot.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:01 am

Well a subject i know a bit about. Heres an idea for ya mate, dont change ur boards, change urself.

Im the same height as u, and at the beginning of this year weighed in around 105 kgs. After a fair bit of effort and training i left for indo at around 90kgs and came back at 85. Never changed my boards, ride 6'4" X 18 1/2" X 2 3/8" as a normal shortboard. All depends on how driven u are to get back in the water and surfing ur best. At 26 soon to be 27 i thought if i dont get my s__t together soon i could easily fall into the fat pisshead down the pub routine and the the older i get better i was think track. Still got some years ahead where surfing can improve so make the most of it, get off ur a r s e and do something bout it.

Agro
regular

Post by Agro » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:17 am

nthnbeachesguy wrote:Well a subject i know a bit about. Heres an idea for ya mate, dont change ur boards, change urself.

Im the same height as u, and at the beginning of this year weighed in around 105 kgs. After a fair bit of effort and training i left for indo at around 90kgs and came back at 85. Never changed my boards, ride 6'4" X 18 1/2" X 2 3/8" as a normal shortboard. All depends on how driven u are to get back in the water and surfing ur best. At 26 soon to be 27 i thought if i dont get my s__t together soon i could easily fall into the fat pisshead down the pub routine and the the older i get better i was think track. Still got some years ahead where surfing can improve so make the most of it, get off ur a r s e and do something bout it.
Im 100kgs, but not over weight, i have just finished a season of aussie rules and go to the gym at least 3 times a week, so am as fit as ive ever been. I do also have a big build (wide shoulders, big neck etc), I have come to the conclusion that my body is not supposed to be 90kgs anymore.