Bali with Wife

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

wayback
regular

Bali with Wife

Post by wayback » Tue May 24, 2005 5:38 pm

Following on from the previous thread about Bali accommodation, I need help finding something at the other end of the scale. Planning a trip there with my wife, who came on one surf trip with me 26 years ago and was so traumatised she's never come with me since.

It's been a good run, but I now would actually like her to travel with me, especially as I've run out of mates to hit the road with. Plus she deserves a bit of pampering after what she's had to put with. Anyone got any suggestions about a resort-type place on the Bukit that's close to the surf (Ulu's? Belangan?) ?

spook
Grommet

Post by spook » Tue May 24, 2005 6:55 pm

Hello there old man. When are ya thinking of going to bali? There is a retardedly expensive resort on ulu’s itself, not sure if that’s your scene.
Waves on the bukit – ulus draws the most swell, then there’s padang (heavy) hen imposibles (fun), bingin (perfect but very crowded), then dreamland (right hander, a bit hit and miss) and belangan (looks makeable but a bit fast and straight).
I know you don’t wanna hear it, but I don’t think you’ll have that great a time in bali, what with the crowds, the touts and the reefs.
If you are keen on that area, and wanna spend a bit of cash taking ma somewhere nice – what about that flash resort on sumba built by a surfer and his wife, its got a heaving left hander (scary when big but looks good smaller) that comes highly endorsed by jim banks. I think its called nihuwana something or other, no doubt someone on here knows the exact name and details. It’s a private place with only about a dozen surfers or so, and fully 5 star, with all sorts of massages and spas etc.

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Tue May 24, 2005 8:39 pm

Thanks Spook. I used to go to Bali many years ago but gave it away for all the reasons you mention, so I do know the spots but am not up to speed on the accommodation. Been going to more remote/less popular places instead, as well as road trips in oz. Now trying to find somewhere where the wife won't be bored while I'm off surfing all day. It was interesting to read in the other thread that if you stay near a break, you can miss some of the crowds by hitting the early or the late arvo sesh. Thought I'd find out more.

richardl

Post by richardl » Tue May 24, 2005 9:18 pm

take the advice. get yourself to NIHIWATU.
went in 2003. great surf / location / resort /staff / food / the list goes on....
www.nihiwatu.com

vonie
regular

Post by vonie » Tue May 24, 2005 9:39 pm

I took the wife to Bali & stayed at the InterContinental at Jimbaran bay http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic/1/e ... a?irs=null

I had to travel to the surf every day but my princess was VERY happy in the 5 star surrounds while I was off surfing.

Next time I think www.nihiwatu.com will be the go. 5 star but much closer to a wave. Everybody happy & live is good ;-)
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

vonie
regular

Post by vonie » Tue May 24, 2005 9:47 pm

A cost effective alternative may also be a house advertised on Aquabumpa

Bali Villa Available
submitted 14.04.2005
$1000 a week for Aquabumps readers...villa in Canguu...for rent from Australia couple Pip and Tim. View photos

www.aquabumps.com
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Mon May 30, 2005 5:53 pm

Last edited by baldric on Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Tue May 31, 2005 3:21 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm checking the sites and then consulting with her highness.

The good thing about landing her in the lap of luxury is she's hardly gonna complain about that new board that suddenly appears ...

Cruising.

roscoediboscoe
regular

Post by roscoediboscoe » Tue May 31, 2005 3:50 pm

wayback wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. I'm checking the sites and then consulting with her highness.
When I go (which is once a year) mostly always stay in the Tuban area (south Kuta) - bit quieter than Kuta - has some great restaurants, plenty of drivers waiting to take you to the Bukit + you have Kuta Reef, Airports and middles right out in front

Going back in September this year and staying at Ramada Bintang - they have the best spa/massage facility for your wife that you will find in Bali.

Roscoe