Vietnam

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

tronic

Vietnam

Post by tronic » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:32 am

What are the best breaks in Vietnam

wayback
regular

Re: Vietnam

Post by wayback » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:03 pm

Fly, bus or train to Da Nang. Head to Non Nuoc on China Beach. Beach breaks North and South of you. North up to just past My Khe. South almost to Hoi An. Pick the rips, banks and swell direction as conditions are very fickle. Winter and cyclone season are best. Good luck.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:47 pm

Yep, try any of the rivermouth setups you can get near to on a decent swell. Theres only one main road in the whole country...damn communists and their great leaps forward.
So getting out to some of the areas that you can see on the map are going to be swell magnets can be tricky, locals will get you out there on bikes for nothing at all. Beautiful coutryside, 100 shades of green. North of Hue, pay heed to any unexploded ordinance symbols you see, - farmers still get blown up from cultivating new land only to hit a 500 pound bomb.

And its vietfuckinnam, not Vietnam :)
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:26 pm

^^^ :D

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
[kneels]
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like
[sniffing, pondering]
Kilgore: victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
[suddenly walks off]

Kilgore: You either surf or you fight.

_____

Kilgore: I will not hurt or harm you. Just give me back the board, Lance. It was a good board - and I like it. You know how hard it is to find a board you like.

______
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:09 pm

go on a surf trip with three or four mates in vietnam and guaranteed at least one (probably two) of them will gleefully and tirelessly quote kilgore and willard the whole time.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:30 pm

Well, it's harder to quote Willard.
And quoting from the Redux version is .....well, lame.

You must have the surf scene in 'Nam dialed in Al?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:45 pm

was it Hobie or Yater?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:21 am

i have nothing dialed! never have, never will. i like to quote yeats and baxter and murgatroyd and the whizz kid. kurtz, sometimes. the photo journalist, once - and it left a bad taste in my mouth, kind of like ephedrine.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:25 am

i live in hanoi a million miles from surf i don't care about the surf in vietnam i don't even check the south china sea swell forecasts what the hell for i got my books and my beer i'm set - go jump in the lake all you surfers.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:48 am

Lucky Al wrote:i live in hanoi a million miles from surf i don't care about the surf in vietnam i don't even check the south china sea swell forecasts what the hell for i got my books and my beer i'm set - go jump in the lake all you surfers.
Don't let the fake buildings and freezing water fool ya. It was all done with Photoshop.
This is actually the Trúc Bạch Lake in Hanoi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkocS4nPZ8o
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:20 pm

we lived around the corner from truc bach lake for two and a half years. i must have walked around it a couple of hundred times, hands in pockets, whistling vivaldi and stopping to nudge the dead fish lying on the bank with my toe. i often stopped to drink a beer and imagine that the dead fish were actually the corpses of beautiful girls each of whom had died in her own way, whether by lightning strike, mauling by tiger escaped from the zoo, murder by stabbing (43 wounds to neck, back and thighs), consumption or bubonic plague. now we live in a different part of hanoi, with no dead fish in sight, and so i imagine all the girls i see to be packed in ice, their lips and nipples and private parts all blue. i would much rather be somewhere else, truth be told.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Yeah the rule is: Don't eat anything from the Mekong. It is one of the more polluted rivers anywhere. Think of about 3000Km of exposure to leaching agent orange and sundry crap and you get the message, non?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:39 pm

this pic shows part of truc bach lake. how's the green slime, gotta be a b-horror in it.
trucbach.jpg

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:42 pm

^^^^
No wonder the Viets think the Cooks River is Fisherman's Paradise!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:46 pm

greenslimeandshit.jpg