Port Stephens

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

grapsta
regular

Port Stephens

Post by grapsta » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:07 am

Got a week in Port Stephens coming up in a few weeks...looking at Anna Bay as it seems to be a bit cheaper than Fingal. Is one significantly better than the other for waves ? are there other spots ?

also any food / coffee advice would be appreciated ...I know the Fishermans Co-op is a good fishnchippie but thats about it.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Re: Port Stephens

Post by RickyG » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:41 pm

HI, I've been up there a few times now, last time just a couple of weeks back.

Anna bay's the best spot for getting to the waves - One mile is consistent, and if it's blowing form the north or NE you're not far from Birubi Pt.
As you'll see from a map Fingal's very protected, only breaks with any power in a huge S swell I assume. I had a couple of surfs there but only because it was during the Cyclone swell and everywhere else was unrideable.
You can walk to the other side of the spit of course and take your chances.

Plenty of good places for a drink or a feed. I reckon Nelson Bay's a hole with no parking. Better off at shoal bay.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

grapsta
regular

Post by grapsta » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks mate ..thought as much about Anna Bay . cheers

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 pm

if you are willing to go for a bit of a drive there's some secret spots a little bit south of there, great coffee too

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:18 am

I concur about Anna Bay. Only been there once in mid-summer years ago but there were waves. And yes, if you have a 4WD you don't know what you could find down south.

grapsta
regular

Post by grapsta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:42 am

great coffee ??

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:04 pm

:roll:

The Dan
Local

Post by The Dan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:28 pm

Lived there for 8 yrs. One mile beach may be the worst beachy in Australia but the point gets ok every now and then, Fingal basically never breaks. Hit Buribi in the NE'er and South swell, or the Shoal bay beaches in an East swell. It can be 8ft on one side of the peninsula and 2ft on the other.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 pm

The Dan wrote:Lived there for 8 yrs. One mile beach may be the worst beachy in Australia but the point gets ok every now and then, Fingal basically never breaks. Hit Buribi in the NE'er and South swell, or the Shoal bay beaches in an East swell. It can be 8ft on one side of the peninsula and 2ft on the other.
Shoal Bay beaches? I saw huge waves breaking in the bay but only because it was 8-10ft and out of control on the coast. Surely a rideable wave in the bay itself would only happen once every 10 years or so?
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.