Resting heart rate

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Dingus
Owl status

Re: Resting heart rate

Post by Dingus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:03 pm

I gotta get me another bike. Any guesses why? The obvious would be the larger muscles of the legs constantly working, as there'd be a lot of blood moving about that space at any one time.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:The wind was a heavy southerly and the swell was 6-8' and building.
Pretty crazy experience for a 14yr old!!
Considering some of the unfortunate events with the clubbies at nationals in the recent past, what sort of liability cover do you have Nick? Is this something you think about before taking kids out in this sort of environment? Not being critical but knowing the way society is these days. Pretty awesome for the kids though, something they will never forget I imagine!
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:28 pm

alakaboo wrote:I've got a bit of that inherent fear, it's the main reason I don't like scuba diving as much as I expected I would. But I've (almost) always been calm underwater during wipeouts. Can actually feel my heart rate drop.
Once you submerge it is a hardwired physiological response for HR to drop, to preserve oxygen I believe. Hypoxic training will also help preserve oxygen by making your use of it more economical.

My RHR is around 40 when I'm fit has even dropped down to 38. Whatever your RHR is it doesn't mean very much by itself. It needs to be seen in relation to max and even how it changes over time to gain much insight from it. Even now I'm not that fit it is still low but I've trained my heart all these years doing endurance sports. Still I know one guy whose heart rate was always high...in the 200s when running whereas I'd be around 160 never stopped him going OK. Just how his body operated.

Indurain's heart I bet was pushing very thick blood...if you know what I mean. HCT probably through the roof.

Dingus, you want another bike? ...I have a dual suspension XC bike for sale :idea:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 am

Slowman wrote:
alakaboo wrote:I've got a bit of that inherent fear, it's the main reason I don't like scuba diving as much as I expected I would. But I've (almost) always been calm underwater during wipeouts. Can actually feel my heart rate drop.
Once you submerge it is a hardwired physiological response for HR to drop, to preserve oxygen I believe. Hypoxic training will also help preserve oxygen by making your use of it more economical.
Yeah, I know about the reflex, but this is something different. It's like I can only achieve my zen state whilst surrounded by utter chaos.

Benn

Post by Benn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:50 pm

I am agreed with Trev that it is looking very low. I am also confused to read about your heart rate rest timing. Are you sure that you checked it correctly? Please check again and then share with us.