Europe - Give us ya best

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Natho
barnacle

Europe - Give us ya best

Post by Natho » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:01 am

Ok Troops. Heading to Germany in September on business. Going to finish up in Cologne. Im then going to take some time off for about a week or so to have a bit of a look around and take advantage of some freedom before the wife gives birth to our first child in December. Thinking of going by train to Amsterdam, then down to Brugge in Belgium and on to Paris (I need to fly out of either Paris or London). These however are all places that I have been to before. So where else do you suggest for me to go, preferably by train? What are your favourite places in Europe? Give me some ideas please. Cheers Natho. (This will be a non surf trip).

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Europe - Give us ya best

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:29 am

Ideas from Paris, or from Cologne?
San Sebastian (probably easiest by train, change at border. Irun?)
Barcelona
Sienna

I also like Scandinavia, Stockholm is great, but it's a bit trickier if you want to use trains.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks, yeh need to start in Cologne and finish in Paris. A one way flight from somewhere to finish in Paris is a possibility too. Cheers

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:00 pm

San Sebastian has great food (I only tried the pinxtos ... didn't go into any Michelin-starred places) and drink (sidra / txakoli).

If you can get a budget flight from Cologne to to Bilbao, you can catch a bus to San Seb. From San Seb, take a local Euskotren train to a town on the French side of the border (Hendaye ... spelling changes depending on language).

From Hendaye you can catch a TGV into Paris which is what I did last time. I stuffed up my booking and caught a train from Hendaye to Biarritz and then waited for the next TGV to Biarritz. You can take a train directly from Hendaye to Paris.

My tip is to book in advance on the SNCF website. The only catch is you have to do it in French but there are online guides for that. I don't think I paid more than 30 Euro to get from Hendaye / Biarritz to Paris. This was a few years back.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Natho, go to Florence do a day trip or two up into the Tuscan Hills and do some walks in the Cinque Terre. The food, weather, scenery and the people are unbelievable!!

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:20 pm

yeh thanks Sandy. Italy is an option. Have been to Tuscany before and would not hesitate going back.

San Sebastian is another option, as is Switzerland. Have not been to either yet.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Geneva is great, based on the 36 hours I've spent there.
Get a train around the lakes.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:13 pm

My son was in Germany earlier in the year. Caught a train from Manheim to Zurich. He also visited Heidelberg and Strasbourg.
Loved it but couldn't spend much time there.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Zurich could be on the cards.Have been to Strasbourg and loved it, would like to go back.The little wine villages south of Stasbourg are like something out of a fairytale movie set.Hmm I'm leaning towards Switzerland right now. Happy to give London a miss this time.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:30 pm

Be a bit careful Googling that list from legion.
Especially as an image search.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:32 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:19 am

Ok I've got seeking out jungfrau now high on the to do list. What other crazy things should I do while over ther :?: Where do you find those girls with the long blonde plats that can carry lost of beer between their big boobs? Now that takes skill.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:21 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:46 am

Natho wrote:Ok I've got seeking out jungfrau now high on the to do list.
Intentionally clever?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:14 pm

OKtoberfest, is it on in September? Looks like Im stopping in f^rkin Munchen then for a cold beer or 500.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:17 pm

All the best with the pregnancy and new bub btw.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:06 pm

I've visited all those destinations recently, in fact in September 2010 which is a perfect time for northern Europe: cool but not freezing. Bruges is just like a fairytale :wink: and while in Belgium also try Brussels which is good for a couple of days with sights such as The Grand Place, the Atomium plus nearby Waterloo for the history buffs plus waffles and Belgian chocolate for the foodies. Brussel's Hotel Galia is a charming older hotel at a reasonable price.

Brussels to Paris is an easy train journey at an OK price.

Paris is really a place for couples so best to be there with your wife. You've probably seen most tourist sites already but have you visited Pere Lachaise Cemetery for a morning's freebie :?:
Many celebrities (Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde, Chopin, Piaf etc) are interred here. Early morning's the best time before the crowds of freaks congregate around Jim's grave. It's very pretty and eerie, particularly in Autumn when the leaves are falling and there's a nip in the air (apparently Jim walked around here a lot when he lived in Paris).

Depending on your interests you could also try a themed visit to Paris for variety eg. for a Hemingway-themed visit look at all his haunts.

The Chunnel train from Paris-London is a remarkably quick journey arriving at KingsX/St Pancras Station and transferring onto the tube. Again, although having been there before I could go again, see the same sights and not get bored. As they say "he who is tired of London is tired of life".