Kookocracy

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:39 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
Shaunm wrote:Hey if someone spends 3-4 days a week for 3 years summer/winter rain/shine at the one beach (or others) keeps out of everyones way. Gets the hang of it before moving out the back. Never drops in but gets the odd wave, never wears the flash looking name brand stuff, but still basically sucks at surfing, are they a kook?

I'd say no, just cant surf for sh!t.
is there something you wanna get off your chest?
No and I wasn't going to name names :lol:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:02 pm

WANDERER wrote:
toasta wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Saw someone on the Northside today with a groovy My Brothers Keeper pullover. Apparently they are a fashion item now :shock: :shock: :shock:
How core, how kooky.
I reckon this is where they all got the whole Brother's Keeper thing from...

http://mcleodsdaughters.ninemsn.com.au/ ... x?id=13874

"Episode 92 - 'My Brothers Keeper'
A minor car accident at the truckstop brings Stevie and Kane Morgan (Craig McLachlan) together for the first time. Stevie, at fault, is smitten by this handsome stranger when he tells her not to worry about the damage to his car."

mmmmm.... stevie... stevie needs it bad.... oh yeah...
needs it I tells ya!!!!!

http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-au/v. ... sdaughters

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:11 pm

After seeing that she could keep my brother :wink:

SharkBoy
Grommet

Re: Kookocracy

Post by SharkBoy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:36 pm

I have a reef break near where I live that breaks off a tiny island. It's rarely big but sort of lumpy and works in conditions when most the other breaks aren't
I usually only see the same few guys out but one day I was sitting out there and a group of like 12 beginners, like super beginners, paddling too far back on the board etc. paddle out from around the north side of the island.

They follow their instructor (I'm assuming) and proceed to sit about twenty yards in front of us.
I look back at land and see some more surfers (regulars) and they see the crowd and then turn and head for another break around the corner

After about 15 minutes the group of beginners follows their leader and paddles in around the other side of the island.

Was the weirdest thing

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:46 am

Boo hoo Parmenter... things were so much better when tightly controlled by the cartel and their big two.

:D

<:

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re:

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:50 am

bc wrote:There's a lot of sentiment back to when surfing was more a fringe sport. For some this is 1999,

Fringe sminge, it was no such thing, in 1999 the 'fringe' vibe was just a global marketing ploy to make surfers feel like rebels when in reality they were all just retarded homogenous consumers led by the nose.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:11 pm

1999?
Fringe?
:D :D :D
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:26 am

This thread kicked in the guts nearly 8 years on....have things changed?. I reckon there are less middle aged mini malers now, the retro boards are more log types than short boards, shortboards have moved towards the hybrid,wider - fatter to cover up averagesurfers abilities (good for me this as my kookness has decreased..or by saying this has it increased...), the standard of general surfing is better perhaps I think, I haven’t been dropped in for ages, had a board tossed in front of me on takeoff etc

The one thing I do notice is older guys (40+) hanging on to long to their refined shorties.....over this 8 year period a mate who is a good surfer but nearly 50 now is still on the same dims and frankly it makes him look like a lot worse than he is.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:42 am

I feel the biggest change in that time has been the widespread arrival of SUPs.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:57 am

Don't forget the filthy smelly hipster. Only one thing worse than SUPs in a crowded line up and that is hipsters with shaggy hair, beards, trendy tatts and shit.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:20 am

I dunno davros, I see a few guys around here around 50 still surfing wafer thin shorties in everything from waist high to well overhead. They still surf great and seem to be in great shape. Though, I also see some of the long boarders here ride midlengths in decent surf quite well as well, so there are exceptions to every rule.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:34 pm

saltman wrote:
Natho wrote:Don't forget the filthy smelly hipster. Only one thing worse than SUPs in a crowded line up and that is hipsters with shaggy hair, beards, trendy tatts and shit.
indeed they must be exterminated -everything about them shits me
:D :D

Congratulations on participating in a strange parody of the 1970s.
You two can get in a pick up truck with bib and brace overalls and a shotgun.
It will be like Easy Rider II.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Personally I find the legions of Kelly clones out there worse than a bunch of retro hipsters.

Im middle aged. I'm losing my hair.
I'm shaving it all off and still sticking my chest out in the surf.

Like Kelly?
Nah, more like Bobby Martinze or a bunch of Sri Lankan Buddhist Monks only uglier and fatter.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:56 am

Davros wrote:The one thing I do notice is older guys (40+) hanging on to long to their refined shorties.....over this 8 year period a mate who is a good surfer but nearly 50 now is still on the same dims and frankly it makes him look like a lot worse than he is.
that's the kookiest thing ever. dude's still clutching onto their potato-chip boards, struggling, hating themselves and everyone around them while trying to save face. refusing to acknowledge the circumstances and mathematics deeming it to be completely futile to persist on such boards. their surfing gets progressively worse as a result. only the very few (NC., russell specht, et. al) can get away with it.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:11 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:20 am
This amazing word surfaced during the Lame Surfing Terms thread. It was coined apparently by Dave Parmenter to describe the levelling or lowering of the general surfing IQ as a result of the Beginner Boom of this decade.

I thought it was witty, typical Parmenter, but then yesterday I saw something that jammed his point home. Recently I'd been discussing some sort of mag article stuff with a mate on the Goldie and he suggested we do something about people putting their boards on the roof the wrong way. "Man I've been seeing 'em everywhere!" he said. "People strapping their boards on their racks BOTTOM DOWN! Like what the f**k are they thinking."

I'd semi written my mate off, had never seen such a witless move...but yesterday I saw THREE SEPARATE CARS driving away from the northern beaches in the late arvo with four or five boards strapped EXACTLY THAT WAY -- fins down, noses up, rockers squeezed onto the racks.

What the HELL? Is this contagious? Can anyone else come up with some wrought-iron examples of an emerging Kookocracy?
Even earlier.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?