violence in the surf, sawtell surf comp this w'end

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

punch up at sawtell nationals was

pathetic, that guy was already coming last in the heat
5%
well, he was warned too get out
10%
highlight the whole comp
25%
has no place in surfin, a verbals o.k beyond that u belong somewhere else
60%

Total votes: 20

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:04 pm

So what happened :?:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:16 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmm...................Sigh of the times.

chunk38

Post by chunk38 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:18 am

ok lets get things right to start with....i was there watched the whole lot go down....to start with the comp was running and lil out of town booger decides he can just paddle out right into the line up and start to get in the ways of competing surfers...he was ask several times to move down the beach or get out....so a surfer paddle out to ask him to go in... the lil smartass booger just said i can surf anywhere...then a bigger surfer paddle out and wot any normal wave loving surfer would do PUNCHED him and told him to get out of the competing zone.....stupid booger stayed right in the line out for 3 heats and my son was in one of those heats..the surf was very poor to start with,,and to have a piece of floating jetson around realy shitted me and the rest of the competing surfers... so 2 ppl have asked him to move 30ms down the beach not far realy ... still he stays...so i go down to ask him to move away from the lineup.. booger gives me the finger//// booger comes in after awhile and runs to the cops ....cops come back and tell organisers that the booger had plan to upset the comp area and he was from out of town/// so anyboogers that want to surf southys ever again .... you are going to have a hard time surfing here ever again no respect to boogers after the w/end .....one booger can ruin a whole day....and to anyone that has been in comps and had to paddle round ppl in a heat know were im comming from...other than the wankerbooger its was a gr8t w/end of surfing.....

prepare
regular

Post by prepare » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:43 am

in my opinion its a public beach and therefor he has just as much right to it as anyone else. Sure he might have been a dick but you cant just go about punching people. Im sure a great example was set for your son and the younger surfers there who probably have enough testosterone anyway and dont need to see their parents getting into fights.

I have no idea what happened, just my opinion. Id also probably move if asked nicely.

chunk38

Post by chunk38 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:55 am

yes he was ask to move .... the police even told him after he went to them how silly he was to surf there.....this beach the comp was on is 10kms long.... just a silly booger try to get attention.... i wonder if anyone would free surf in a competing zone????? and if asked to leave would you????its just a surfing comp to see if you recieve state allocation///and i would of been pissed of if some booger was in me way in a surf heat.... funny thing is that the comp finished and where was this silly booger back at dorrigo..... 6 ffot plus today hehehehehe left handers fireing....

greygrom
regular

Post by greygrom » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:24 am

The booger may well have been a dickhead BUT he does have the right to surf anywhere AND no one has the right to punch him in the head OR tell him to leave any part of the beach, nor does any of the contest surfers have the right to drop in on him.

Surf clubs get way to precious about their social standing sometimes. They seem to nurture the localism dickhead culture as some sort of badge of honour. Looks like yet another example of group hug club therapy turning into a thug session.

Why didn't you all just ignore the booger instead of lowering yourself to his standing and ending up looking like a bigger bunch of dickheads.

Looks like the booger proved his point.

filthbarrel
regular

Post by filthbarrel » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:30 am

Damn ugly story. But competition stimulates aggression.

However, unless you have permission from the relevant authorities for exclusivity to a surf break, you can't legally claim it. For example, the Quiky on the Goldy gets permission from Council for exclusivity at Snapper enforced by Qld cops on pwc.

But you will find that heavily populated areas such as Hawaii and Cali have strict rules on competitive surfing comps. The rules on the North Shore are really heavy -basically the law makers believe there is lot more to be gained from tourism than surfing comps. There is a specific number of days that can be handed over to private interests because the beach is for all. There is a lot of blokes who live on the North Shore who hate contests.

Yep, I totally resent turning up at the beach and seeing a "contest" claiming the only decent bank. It is a public space and I resent any incursion of exclusivity into a public space. I can go down the park and kick a footy on the oval if it has not been booked for use b y another group. And to book an oval requires cost to gain exclusivity.

But a bunch of dicks turning up at the beach, setting up the tent and putting up flags because their boardriding club wants to run a con'est- why should that affect my little leisure time.

I dont need a lecture about the specifics of the case here because I am talking about the principle of claiming public space. If the comp had permission from Council or waterways for exclusivity that explains hostility (ie. permission from relevant authorities was sought and found) but not violence. If violence is the answer I want to know what the question is.

I think it is the height of arrogance to believe that a space can be commandeered exclusively for the competitive aspirations of a small bunch of egos. And yep, I have paddled out into contest areas and yep I will do it again. And if you punch me in the head you will want to have some damn smart legal eagles batting for you because I will seek police prosecution, costs and then civil damages. I will pursue it and pursue it as a matter of principle that the beach in Australia is for everyone regardless of abilityor the size of their ego.

Similarly, I have been involved in the running of contests on different scales and have either had permission for exclusivity or tried to embarrass non contestants to move out of the area via PA. But if they wouldn't go from areas that we did not have permission to be in, we had to wear it.

Using violence to exclude someone because you want exclusivity to a public space is nasty violent shit and all culprits should face prosecution and feel the full weight of the law-I think a custodial sentence made up of weekend detention would adjust attitudes of violent types. The ego here in these cases needs a severe deflation and that can be accommodated by some of the charming men found in our wonderful NSW correctional centres.
Last edited by filthbarrel on Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

chunk38

Post by chunk38 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:44 am

we had clubs from scotts head to woolgoolga and concil permission ... and if you have ever been this way there are plenty of surf spots like i said this low life booger just come down to couse trouble////when he got out of the surf and i quote" walking past judges tent look at then and ask if they score him and 10piont rides/////and i think this is getting a bit out of hand he ask for it he got it thats it end of story ... and to the guy who would take it to civil court good luck you sound like the booger just trying to get attention......funny to was there are local boogers who stay well away ....so we had council permission and 5 clubs competing for spots in the state titles... and one just one losser from grafton......he was asked more times from the pa and from ppl screaming at him to move so he was just being a losser///

Patto09

Post by Patto09 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:36 am

Viloence is not condoned under any circumstances.

The booger should sue in civil court and also lodge a complaint with the Police Ombudsman due to the cops refusing to take action.

Good luck buddy, even though all boogers suck.

birubi

Post by birubi » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:38 am

if i was the booger i would be gettin myself a lawyer and make a heap of cash out of it.legaly he had a right to be there and the surfer didnt legaly have the right to hit him.

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:54 am

I think filthbarrel's summed it up pretty well.

And there's no excuse whatsoever for the violence and like someone else said, its setting a lousy example for the kids involved in the contest.

I think everyone gets aggravated by contests taking the best bank at a beach - but most of us are accomodating - it seems the clubs don't appreciate this - maybe they should just ban comps - I've never really seen the point of them anyway.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

chunk38

Post by chunk38 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:08 am

yes thats it make some money... typical booger... stand up ,,, Viloence is not condoned under any circumstances.. tell that to the booger who threaten the surfer with a knife attack.. wonders why he got hit....all this because the booger told people competing he was going to make troble in the contest zone... 120people watched one booger paddle right in to the take of spot and 30ms down there were people in the contest free surfing .....all he had to do was move 30ms south.. is that so hard to understand...

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:21 am

i'm a bodyboarder, but i think this guy was in the wrong, if the sticks are trying to have a comp let them have it for gods sake, if he was in a bodyboarding comp i'm sure he wouldnt want a stick paddling out and interfearing...
This exact same thing happened at the Hawaii Pipe bodyboarding comp a year or two ago, some fuckwit stick paddled out and started getting in the way, few of the guys told him to go in, then the jetski rider went and told him to go in, he still didnt, so kainoa McGee paddled over and told him to go in (you don't say know to kainoa!) he still didnt, so kainoa punched on in the surf, and the guy got his ass absolutely flogged when he got back to the beach by the hawaii locals...
basically its about respect, i wouldnt interfear in stand up comp, and i hope that a stand wouldnt interfear in a bodyboarding comp, theyre is always gonna be some rivalry between the two, but it'd be good if we could all live in some kind of symbiotic relationship... i like to think most surfers (all of all kinds) are nice people and can get along in the surf (its not like we're two different religions having a fucking Jihad) i respect surfers, surfers should respect bodyboarders, lose you ego's, you're not better then us, we're not better then you, we're all in the surf to enjoy it, so have fun, and dont be ****....thats my 2 cents

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:29 am

chunk38, yeah it sounds like the guy was being a knob. Was he hit hard?
But its no reason to not respect lids in your area from now on, thats just stupid.

If you havn't see this before, right click and save it.
Its the exact opposite scenario. Its a vid of surfer paddling out in a bodyboarding comp. Only he gets real beat up because he doesn't know when to quit.

http://www.bullshido.com/videos//Hawaiian_Beatdown.wmv

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:36 am

Seems the now ancient art of using a surfboard has been lost like a simple oops and the story would have read boogie boarder injured in surf accident.

If it was a sactoined event with council permission and he's not local(here we go again, sorry) and had the intention to cause trouble he's luck he only got hit once.

Most guys that grew up 30 - 40 years ago would know what would have happen back then and putting it into that context got off lightly by those standards.

One thing has never changed in that if you go looking for trouble (which he did) there is someone out there that will come along and accommodate you.

And there where plenty of spots working yesterday, seems a attention grabber to me...........and got a little more attention than he expected.

I don't condone violance but we don't live in the perfect world and some ppl just are a bit slow to learn without the aid of a piece of 4 b 2.