Sending a board overseas

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Sending a board overseas

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:37 am

True. After our last trip I wouldn’t be expecting to see it at the other end though. Only hand luggage on flights if possible these days I reckon.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:47 am

Beanpole wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:30 am
Just to play the devils advocate here…….there are a plethora of world class shapers in California who make boards specifically for Californian Waves. There are also about 10 times more surfboards floating around new and secondhand. Surely it’s less hassle to buy one.
For sure, but its for sentimental reasons, and the fact that I may be here for a lot longer than I thought now. Just hate the idea of such a great board sitting in that shed
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:03 pm

I’m the last guy to talk about sentimental attachments to boards. I’ve got too many and tend to keep ones that are associated with particular surf trips.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:10 pm

I keep boards because they’re a pain in the arse to sell.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:24 pm

Grooter wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:47 am
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:30 am
Just to play the devils advocate here…….there are a plethora of world class shapers in California who make boards specifically for Californian Waves. There are also about 10 times more surfboards floating around new and secondhand. Surely it’s less hassle to buy one.
For sure, but its for sentimental reasons, and the fact that I may be here for a lot longer than I thought now. Just hate the idea of such a great board sitting in that shed
Why the change in plans?

Keep an eye on the 8 year rule if you're going to a green card.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:48 pm

buddy wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:10 pm
I keep boards because they’re a pain in the arse to sell.
That too. We ended up chucking about 5 out for the last throw out day. Decent boards. Only lasted a couple of hours on the street.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:01 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:24 pm

Why the change in plans?

Keep an eye on the 8 year rule if you're going to a green card.
Kids like it here. Especially the eldest that has her heart set on going to a US College. Wife and I miss Australia for family and friend reasons but there is more opportunity over here than Australia and where we live now is a helluva lot nicer than where we were in Vicco.

I get into a weird headspace about it all at times but always happy that we made the move not to run out our lives to a script - which it was pretty much becoming.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:11 pm

Northern California over Frankston? Are you high?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:13 pm

Legal over there.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:44 pm

Groots, I knew the Franko connection, but somehow thought you were in/around the nicer environs of Merricks, Balnarring, Shoreham. No?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:04 pm

swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:44 pm
Groots, I knew the Franko connection, but somehow thought you were in/around the nicer environs of Merricks, Balnarring, Shoreham. No?
I was just being a smartarse. I think he maybe lived on the MP.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:30 pm

Same, but there are those who claim Frankstone is part of the MP. And who the fcuk am I to disparage as I grew up in Seaford which is North of old Frangertown. Went to school for 3 years at Monterey Tech in the Pines housing commission estate. Grooter's mum taught there, but I think not in my time. Year 11 was at Frankston Tech, right next to the train station. Then I went back to the same place in '93 and '94 to do year 12 at night. By then it was a TAFE

Colourful characters all round. Some with very shitty colours brought about by very shitty upbringing. Some shining lights also rose above very shitty upbringing

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:41 am

BA wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:04 pm
swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:44 pm
I was just being a smartarse. I think he maybe lived on the MP.
Nah fellas I was born and raised in Franga. Went to Karingal High School, played local footy for the Karingal Bulls. Mum taught at Monterery, Dromana Tech then worked in a bank in Frankston (was even in a hold-up once). Dad taught at Frankston TAFE for 30 years. Was an interesting place to grow up.

Lived about 15 years in Mornington from my early twenties and then moved back to Franga as the missus wanted more land. House turned out to be a lemon (still is) and then the whole US thing came up, and we decided fcuk it we'll give it a go

swvic wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:30 pm
Colourful characters all round. Some with very shitty colours brought about by very shitty upbringing. Some shining lights also rose above very shitty upbringing
That's probably the nicest way to put it. Had a lot of sliding doors moments growing that could have sent me down some bad paths but managed to fall through the right ones when it mattered. Almost everyone I grew up with is now divorced, working shit jobs and battling addictions of drink, gambling, drugs or prescription meds etc. I won the lottery with good parents and met the girl that became my soul-mate when I was 20.

I will say in Frangas defence that it did equip me well to deal with other challenges in work/life.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:26 am

Cheers Groots. Similar possibilities my way as a teen/young adult. Drug addiction was rife and I'd already been to way too many funerals by 25 due to drug addicted ODs. Rented in Rosebud, Safety Beach and Red Hill before moving back to Seaford where I bought a house. Then at 32, Warrnambool, Port Campbell briefly and back to Mornington. Now in Coffin Bay

All the best

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:58 am

Anyhoo I got my board over to California.

Packed it in bubble wrap, folded cardboard for the rails and tail and a big chunk of foam for the nose. Didn't get a scratch on it.

Kudos to Air New Zealand, the whole process was flawless

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:32 am

Discovers he’s put on weight, is older, can’t ride it. Runs to room screaming “I hate you you whore”.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:05 pm
Just got another bindie out of my heel when I had a shower.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:36 am

Nice one Groots.
Do you find it harder to keep your weight down in the states with all the rubbish food?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:43 am

Pants wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:32 am
Discovers he’s put on weight, is older, can’t ride it. Runs to room screaming “I hate you you whore”.
You sure you're not dino?
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.