Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:05 pm

Most of the old stagers are happy to score a couple. Mid 20s fitness levels and a log are a deadly combo. In crowded surf obviously the person with the most skill and highest fitness should have the pick of the waves. Unfortunately that often tends to end up being all the waves. Particularly if they start frothing and furiously go for everything moving. Scored the best wave in the last set. IfI really push it I can snare this inside one before paddling back out to get the pick of the next set. Then do it again. Pity about every other prick in the water.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Here’s one for Cranked. 15 minutes of Impossibles. Includes some good drone footage.

https://youtu.be/Xm1_QbAQN2w

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:17 pm

Yeah nice foamy!

A lower tide would have been better.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:07 pm

So from an investment point of view……not that I’m planning on doing any…….how long do you reckon you could conceivably keep a surfboard from deteriorating. Part of the collectables market rests on the fact that most fibreglass boards are rooted after five years max if they are actually used.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:46 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:07 pm
So from an investment point of view……not that I’m planning on doing any…….how long do you reckon you could conceivably keep a surfboard from deteriorating. Part of the collectables market rests on the fact that most fibreglass boards are rooted after five years max if they are actually used.
Except for Surtechs of course, when the earth is finally cooling down as our sun dims, there they'll be, as new and ready for a surf!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:02 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Please define "deterioration".
I have a 1992 John Broadhurst board, 9'1" which is still fine.
Naturally a few repairs but it's watertight and awesome to ride.

Ridden consistently until 2003 then in rotation with a John Sojoski board until 2017.
A bit less often since then only because I got old and wanted more volume.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:16 pm

Beanpole wrote:
if it was just an investment point of view then you wouldn't surf it at all

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:55 pm

My Bali next door neighbour Jake pulling in:

https://www.facebook.com/689067266/vide ... 130275158/

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:55 pm

buddy wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:16 pm
Beanpole wrote:
That’s the point. Deterioration if stored. Thirty years?
Most of the really old ones have been restored.
Exposure to sunlight is a major factor.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:57 pm

Cranked wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:46 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Except for Surtechs of course, when the earth is finally cooling down as our sun dims, there they'll be, as new and ready for a surf!
Lick of paint and good as new.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:50 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:55 pm
buddy wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:16 pm
Beanpole wrote:
That’s the point. Deterioration if stored. Thirty years?
Most of the really old ones have been restored.
Exposure to sunlight is a major factor.
If it’s hanging on a wall/inside an insulated place and not experiencing temperature extremes, apart from the glass discoloration over time, I’d imagine it’d last well over a lifetime.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:25 pm

My mal is in pretty good shape and 16 years old.

Only damage was from the rocks at Raglan but repaired well. Lives in a board bag, hanging on wall hooks when not used. Quality glassing and foam helps.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:37 pm

So the value of old items rests on scarcity and provenance. If it’s a famous surfboard from a famous shaper made at a crucial time and ridden by a famous rider type thing. So an old mal will probably last a lot longer than a HPSBoard simply because of how it was made.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:52 pm

Are you trying to state the most obvious possible things?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:28 am

Beanpole wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:37 pm
So the value of old items rests on scarcity and provenance. If it’s a famous surfboard from a famous shaper made at a crucial time and ridden by a famous rider type thing. So an old mal will probably last a lot longer than a HPSBoard simply because of how it was made.
Beans mate. You’re not that silly. You know the shapers from your era that would demand good money for old boards. Generally I think it’s fair to say that there were no weight requirements for the old mals or indeed the 70’s shortboards that still hold value. They were glassed stronger and some of the shapers are legendary. I think you can get $10000 for an original MP. And people pay crazy money for boards like an “original Lazer Zap shaped by Geoff and ridden by Cheyne.”
It’s mental but good luck to them. I mean like an old Brewer or whatever gives Nick or Steve a hard on would be cool. But spending thousands on a board that you won’t ever ride? My mind boggles with the amount of waves that money could get you.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:04 am

Yeah, some of those board auctions in Hawaii are crazy. Had four MPs over the years. The first and last having all the logos the other two had more random signatures.e.g. Harry Bolt alias Michael Peterson.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:25 pm

Fcuk, second trip to the icebergs since the lifting of lockdown and saw the second rescue in the rip in front of the pool. This time it was a race between duelling paddle boards to get to the kid first. Lifesaver vs Lifeguard. Lifeguard started later, made up the ground then got stuck. Managed to just edge the clubbie out and then struggle to get in against the rip.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Post by Over55yrs » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:28 am

Beanpole wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:25 pm
Fcuk, second trip to the icebergs since the lifting of lockdown and saw the second rescue in the rip in front of the pool. This time it was a race between duelling paddle boards to get to the kid first. Lifesaver vs Lifeguard. Lifeguard started later, made up the ground then got stuck. Managed to just edge the clubbie out and then struggle to get in against the rip.
Probably filming it for Bondi Rescue. Noted your 2nd visit to Icebergs - upstairs or the club ?