Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

User avatar
steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER
Posts: 45947
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 19, 2024 2:38 pm

No one cares anymore about surfing wavepools- it's not editorial.

And no way Ubrnsurf would cover my trip as advertorial.

When are you going Iggs?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

buddy
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9659
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by buddy » Sun May 19, 2024 2:44 pm

You could review some Indian joints along the way.

User avatar
steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER
Posts: 45947
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 19, 2024 2:46 pm

tbh I'd much rather a weekend on North Straddy than 2hrs in the tub.

Would be cheaper too.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

buddy
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9659
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by buddy » Sun May 19, 2024 2:58 pm

Ken oath

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 18950
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Hatchnam » Sun May 19, 2024 3:02 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 2:38 pm
No one cares anymore about surfing wavepools- it's not editorial.

And no way Ubrnsurf would cover my trip as advertorial.

When are you going Iggs?
the advanced turns setting looks fun.

the pitching barrel setting also if forehand.

but for 2-foot fake surf in a concrete tub, I'm in no hurry.

there are simply too many other better options, too often.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 69781
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 19, 2024 3:31 pm

Well it’s quicker to commute from Ballina than drive from the Nth Beaches.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

channels
Duke Status
Posts: 10144
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by channels » Sun May 19, 2024 3:45 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 3:02 pm
steve shearer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 2:38 pm
No one cares anymore about surfing wavepools- it's not editorial.

And no way Ubrnsurf would cover my trip as advertorial.

When are you going Iggs?
the advanced turns setting looks fun.

the pitching barrel setting also if forehand.

but for 2-foot fake surf in a concrete tub, I'm in no hurry.

there are simply too many other better options, too often.
Quicker to the tub or Maroubra from your place?
Serious question.

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 18950
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Hatchnam » Sun May 19, 2024 3:57 pm

channels wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 3:45 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 3:02 pm
steve shearer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 2:38 pm
No one cares anymore about surfing wavepools- it's not editorial.

And no way Ubrnsurf would cover my trip as advertorial.

When are you going Iggs?
the advanced turns setting looks fun.

the pitching barrel setting also if forehand.

but for 2-foot fake surf in a concrete tub, I'm in no hurry.

there are simply too many other better options, too often.
Quicker to the tub or Maroubra from your place?
Serious question.
Tub 15min. Maroubra 22min clear run (non school times).
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 69781
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 19, 2024 4:38 pm

Sort of like hanging at a skate park without the cred.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

User avatar
Wyre
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5141
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Wyre » Sun May 19, 2024 7:15 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 3:57 pm
channels wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 3:45 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 3:02 pm
steve shearer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 2:38 pm
No one cares anymore about surfing wavepools- it's not editorial.

And no way Ubrnsurf would cover my trip as advertorial.

When are you going Iggs?
the advanced turns setting looks fun.

the pitching barrel setting also if forehand.

but for 2-foot fake surf in a concrete tub, I'm in no hurry.

there are simply too many other better options, too often.
Quicker to the tub or Maroubra from your place?
Serious question.
Tub 15min. Maroubra 22min clear run (non school times).
At least Melb pool is somewhere perfectly located for a traveller/day trip (not that I have been there). To think of getting double-fucked by Sydney traffic - once going in, once going out - to surf gives me the heebie jeebies.
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 69781
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 19, 2024 7:22 pm

Can always catch the train.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 18950
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Hatchnam » Sun May 19, 2024 7:23 pm

here's some great old footage of cronulla point single fin surfing 1973-1978.

13.58min: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjZXmEJDZIk

Filmed by Darryl Menzies & Ross Myers
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

User avatar
Wyre
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5141
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Wyre » Sun May 19, 2024 7:25 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 7:22 pm
Can always catch the train.
True.
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

User avatar
steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER
Posts: 45947
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 19, 2024 7:27 pm

I caught the train out to Olympic Park to watch Souths play with Dino/Reg.

Pretty fun night.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
Cranked
Duke Status
Posts: 15272
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Cranked » Sun May 19, 2024 7:44 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 7:23 pm
here's some great old footage of cronulla point single fin surfing 1973-1978.

13.58min: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjZXmEJDZIk

Filmed by Darryl Menzies & Ross Myers
Thanks Hatchy, great flashback!
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

channels
Duke Status
Posts: 10144
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by channels » Sun May 19, 2024 8:05 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 7:27 pm
I caught the train out to Olympic Park to watch Souths play with Dino/Reg.

Pretty fun night.
Just dropped by the tub after my kids finished up their thing at Homebush.

Firstly, thinking it’s in the Olympic Park precinct is a mistake, it technically is I guess. From the main stadium, probably 5 minutes drive away, walking from the train station might be 30 minutes?

Parking is not free unlike the Melbourne one. Wave definitely looks softer than Melbourne, saw advanced turns and doesn’t look to have as much water behind it. Both my kids want a crack, but suggested they wait until summer.

User avatar
godsavetheking
Duke Status
Posts: 11273
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by godsavetheking » Sun May 19, 2024 9:36 pm

This eagerness to pay to surf shit waves really does make me wonder about the quality and consistency of Australia’s ocean waves. I thought you were supposed to be the spiritual home of surfing?
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 69781
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 19, 2024 9:41 pm

You’re thinking of Hawaii GST. We are the home of commercialising surfing.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 98 guests