Stradbroke Island

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Chonie

Stradbroke Island

Post by Chonie » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:28 pm

So excited!!! My sister and her husband are over for dinner and just announced to us that they have bought the resort on STRADBROKE ISLAND!!!

Heard the beaches and the surf up there are pretty tops. Anyone spent much time up there?

Gona have to re-evaluate my 5yr plan now. Im thinking of moving up there (she said i can live there, pay no rent, only pay for my food, and work a few hrs in the reception office a week) and get a job acting at Movie World.

RRRAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:39 pm

Congrats Chonie, can I be the first to accept any offers for free accomodation :D

North Straddie has some good waves, but *very* shark infested at times. Not sure that I would want to surf there every day - the risks might be a little too high.

snakes

roscoediboscoe
regular

Post by roscoediboscoe » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:36 pm

Is that South Straddie??

I think it's called Spooners or Spinners or something

Whatever it's walking distance to TOS and would beat paddling any day

Good stuff

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:52 pm

Chonie, what are you doing on these forums if you have people over for dinner?
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Chonie

Post by Chonie » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:13 pm

i ate and was bored with topic of conversation. Plus had to get back to uni work.

Its the Whalewatch resort.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:53 am

Chonie wrote:i ate and was bored with topic of conversation.
and you're thinkin' of spendin' 24/7 with them... :shock: :shock:

nah....sounds like a bloody good opportunity....so what's the Realsurf Forum member's discount? :D

betterIwas
Grommet

Post by betterIwas » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:42 am

Great place - have seen the resort. Good surf & fishing.

Enjoy - like the idea of a Realsurf special deal though.

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:40 pm

Back off waxheads, I got in first! :evil: :shock: :D :lol:

snakes

Chonie

Post by Chonie » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:31 pm

Got bored with the PARENTS conversation.

Yeah ya can all crash in my room hehehe

Nugger
Grommet

Post by Nugger » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:02 am

Luck you chonie. The surf on Straddie can be epic. Main Beach beachies with swell and favorable winds are a treat. And one of the best things is that Mainy is one of less than a handful of spots in SE Queensland that is basically offshore in the dreaded northeasters of spring/summer.

But wait, there's more! About 15 min. walk away (or 1 min. drive) is Cylinder beach. Now I trust you know what the Superbank is. Well Cylinder on it's day is as long and as good but with, hmmm, lets see, about 500 less people. The only drawback is that those days are only about 5 times a year on a good year. A true sight to behold when you are sitting on the deck of the Straddie Hotel sucking back your first late arvy schooner as the sun sets and watching 2 km of peeling rights reel with less than 20 people out. Are you drooling yet.

I envy you Chonie, you'll love it. One of the best places on earth. Oh, and don't worry too much about the sharks. A hell of a lot of people have surfed at Straddie and I still haven't heard of a single recorded bite, let alone fatality there. Moreton Island just to the north is another story though.
"Double your pleasure, double your funnn...."
The chief (RJ).

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:32 am

well thanks maybe... maybe chonie could have had the joy of 'discovering' the breaks herself.

hint, chonie ... do not stick to gorge/surfclub or cylinders, 4wd and some walking will be rewarding.

if it is north straddie stop into the koori centre at Dunwich and pay your respects. Point lookout is a colony on some beautiful people's land ... people who visit straddie tend to forget that.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:16 am

actually, if you added up all the sections from deadmans through to adder it is a long way. but of course they are SECTIONS not one long 2k ride. fa@#@ I wish. :D

Schwez
regular

Post by Schwez » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:32 pm

Chons, ya DONT wanna act at Movieworld!!! Just think..... same show, 5 times a day, day in day out. YAWN
I can resist everything - except temptation.

Fun9RY

Post by Fun9RY » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:41 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
Nugger wrote: A true sight to behold when you are sitting on the deck of the Straddie Hotel sucking back your first late arvy schooner as the sun sets and watching 2 km of peeling rights reel with less than 20 people out. Are you drooling yet.
Anyone would drool at 2km rights Nugger...!!??

Does the medication make you drool mate? 2km my arse...
Yer I just realised that too, yar a spinner mate...

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:34 pm

holy cow chones you SUCK in the nicest possible way!

The resort, which as you may already know, is at Pt Lookout which has sick beachies :evil:

Owning it is one thing, but being a relative of the owner you get unlimited guilt-free mooching! sweeeeet...

On ex's folks own a great shack with a view of Cylinders there and we used to stay in it all time. During the week the place is DEAD most of the time, just watch out for the pre-schoolies-schoolies-week action, the little shits are mad, I had to clobber a few little idiots...

I never saw a shark but got heard numerous reports of sitings almost everytime I stayed there... frenchies seems to be a bit of a magnet

christian
regular

Post by christian » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:56 pm

ive been to south straddie but that was when i was little a couran cove the surf was hectic there and someone caught a massive bronze whaler there beach fishing.....it was hell crucial

Chonie

Post by Chonie » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:36 pm

Schwez wrote:Chons, ya DONT wanna act at Movieworld!!! Just think..... same show, 5 times a day, day in day out. YAWN
Same thing as being in a prof production 2 long shows a day 5 days a week. Short 20 min show 4-5 times a day is sweet.