White Horses - new surf mag

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: White Horses - new surf mag

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:20 pm

well, I still haven't managed to find a copy.
Nick, I will post you the 20 bucks if you send me one.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:56 am

Same boat here, any places still have copies? NC, happy to send dough if you can assist.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:54 am

Don't send me the money you sillies!

go to the website whitehorses.com.au there's a buy tag.

or the iPad app if you have said device. gra's kind of a whiz on that app.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Fong, I got my copy from the nesagent in Noosa Civic. 8)
The last one there. BUt your'e welcome to borrow mine when I finish with it. "Bout another month the way I'm going. :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Theres no doubt its a quality surf mag, but please $20 what a rip off id rather spend a little more and buy a book, plus these days there is lots of great free magazines about.

After all it is 2012.

Such as :

http://www.smorgasboarder.com.au/

Paper copes available free from surf shops or online view with iPad free.
Last edited by Indo dreaming on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:06 pm

and Lines mag http://issuu.com/lines/docs/lines_16

Available in Bali in free paper copy or view online with iPad free.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Indo dreaming wrote:Theres no doubt its a quality surf mag, but please $20 what a rip off id rather spend a little more and buy a book, plus these days there is lots of great free magazines about.

After all it is 2012.
IMO it'a not a magazine but a book. Which makes it worth the money.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 pm

Trev wrote:
Indo dreaming wrote:Theres no doubt its a quality surf mag, but please $20 what a rip off id rather spend a little more and buy a book, plus these days there is lots of great free magazines about.

After all it is 2012.
IMO it'a not a magazine but a book. Which makes it worth the money.
Really i guess each to there own...but id still call it a mag even though its kinda hard cover.

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:30 pm

[url]ttp://www.18seconds.com.au/[/url] another online mag

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 am

fongss wrote:if i must pay a premium....can i pay our earth first :?: :idea:
Carbon tax should cover it fong
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:47 am

fongss wrote:if only i could find out were its printed....and waton
Why don't you go to the magazine's Facebook site and ask Gra, he'll be able to tell you.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Got sucked into buying a new age surf mag called foam symetery yesterday and it was way cool for about half of it and then......I started to realise that the self indulgent w*nkery started to actually reach the same level as some of those spaced out odes from the early seventies in American Surf Mags. That doing a cheater five at two foot Noosa is not worth waxing lyrical about to that extent. That the person doing a bit of soul surfing is not a demi god and that its still just trying to sell product. Nice pictures though.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Got a copy of the new White Horses today. There were three in the local newsagent.
Had a quick flick through it and reckon it looks as good as the first issue.
Even my wife was impressed with the quality and the amount of text in it. And boy, when it come sto surfing or anything to do with it, she's not easily impressed. 8)
Some great photos too.
Well done guys.
Saw stories by Lucky Al and NC among others.
Beanpole

Skipper

billy chan
barnacle

Post by billy chan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Is Al's story the one about the bloke gettin' dumped for his boss?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:07 pm

billy chan wrote:Is Al's story the one about the bloke gettin' dumped for his boss?
Yep.
Beanpole

Skipper

gra
Grommet

Post by gra » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 am

... no doubt setting me and my amateur 'narration' skills up for some RS-style scrutiny, but the story represents what I'm stoked with about the nag mag – now four issues in, and a year down the track... If you've got a spare coupla minutes have a squizz at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101 ... =2&theater ... I'm interested if any RS crew read the mag and if so, hearing any suggestions for improvement and all that gear – either on the forum here or privately at [email protected] ... cheers.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:13 am

Gra, not so much a content thing as a marketing thing, but it seems that the newsagents don't seem to know what to do with it.
I spent a fair while asking my locals (listed as stockists on your map thingo) where it was, and they said they had it but couldn't find it.
It wasn't with the surfing mags. Eventually I gave up and found it somewhere else. Just last week I found they had one copy in the lifestyle section with the cookbooks and one in the photography section.

Pretty slick mag. I don't get every one, but I've read 2 of them and enjoyed them.
The coral corral photo set was one of the best I've ever seen.

If I had one criticism it is that I would like more longform articles. At the moment the structure is a bit like the old Tracks Surf Stories publication, which while great sometimes left you wanting a bit more.
Recognising the challenges that imposes on contributors and editors, but you've got some great writers contributing and I'm sure that one of them could do a longer piece every now and then.

edit: had to stop watching the clip because I haven't got that issue yet, and I'd prefer to read it.

gra
Grommet

Post by gra » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks Alakaboo. Appreciate the info and feedback mate. Hey what newsagent was that by the way? cheers