please dont call the cops

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

please dont call the cops

Post by marcus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:13 pm

its happened again, and happens about 4 or 5 times a year that someone calls the cops when i am surfing / bodyboarding.
today i was having a surf off newcastle beach, made it out using the rip on the north side and waited and waited for the bombs, but was always in the wrong spot. so i decided to paddle round the back of the pools (with the wind and rip at my back) to flatrock / cowrie hole (which is kinda like the patch or dee why point or similar ledge. waited for a wave, caught one in and on the way back to the car was told by the council lifeguards that they had all these cop cars around because people were ringing in saying a guy was in trouble.

this happens so often its not funny anymore.

at no time did i put my arm in the air and wave for help.
infact i am very concious of even looking at my watch or adjusting my wetsuit zipper so people dont mistake it for the "in trouble" sign.

another time http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 53&start=0 they had the whole emergency services from police rescue to helicopter there.

the lifeguards were cool about it and told the police i wasnt in trouble.
but jeez, there has to be some way to educate the public that a person riding waves on a largish day doesn't mean they are in trouble.

and who are these people that ring the cops anyway?
id like to meet them and have a talk with them.

granted, one hot evening i walked off the back of the rock pools, dived in and had a swim, police came and i met the lady that called the police... she thought i was a rock fisherman that had fallen in.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

marcus
Owl status

Re: please dont call the cops

Post by marcus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:22 pm

brother in law to be was telling me he has some ground rules now im marrying his sister, this was told to me at my warm up bucks night (matts in indo) last night and he was very drunk but sternly told me i am not to surf at night or ride 12ft surf anymore.
his concerns are a kid growing up without a father.
he grew up without a father (passed away when he was a baby)
so i assured him i know where he is coming from and hear him, but will still enjoy my surfing and will encourage my children to do the same.
if i have a 16 y/o that wants to sail the world i will back them on it.
he seems to think if i died getting hit by a bus that's different to me being irresponsible and dying in 12ft surf.

newy87

Post by newy87 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:47 pm

If you want to scare some people paddle out at the cliff in the morning, there was a big bloated whale washed up this arvo/evening that had some mean looking chunks out of it, no doubt would have left a nice burly slick. Was cowrie/flatty any good today or too washy?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:18 pm

sorry i took 5 minutes longer to type a reply than i meant to.
walked in from shopping checked realsurf and i said to my fiance
"some bloke on realsurf reakons i'm bullshitting"
she says, hey stupid man on internet v's hungry pregnant wife... go get the groceries out of the car please. :D
nuffink ngo wrote:Last night, bucks night in indo ,2day surfing in newy.
warm up bucks night in newy, im having a propper one when my brother gets back from indo after the wedding.
nuffink ngo wrote:you legend.
whats your fcuking problem?
nuffink ngo wrote: i believe every word.
I also believe you typed all that using one hand
why would i bullshit?
im not posting here to big note myself, im posting because dumb fCuks ring the cops when i go surfing, never happens in cronulla, just wollongong and newcastle.
i have enough stories without having to resort to bullshit.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Go to BEARS!
Last edited by munch on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:23 pm

newy87 wrote:If you want to scare some people paddle out at the cliff in the morning, there was a big bloated whale washed up this arvo/evening that had some mean looking chunks out of it, no doubt would have left a nice burly slick. Was cowrie/flatty any good today or too washy?
only got one wave at flatrock, it was braking that way it does when it breaks further out on the sets and washes left into the main right.
it would have been alright if you could get back out after a wave but one wave and out the back was all white wash so just came in.

all these people standing next to the life guards, busybodies i think, taking photos and staring at me.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:29 pm

nuffink ngo wrote:What did you say to her?
i apologised actually, i was standing there with the cops and this lady was with her kids worried someone had drowned. i said nah its cool i was just going for a swim, i do it all the time.
what else can you say in that situation?
after that some p platers drove around the bend too fast coming from nobbies and the cops pulled them over. so i went to my car and left.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:33 am

How about just checking in with the council lifeguards prior to entering the water, marcus?
you should be happy that there are people who care about your well-being.
we don't here of course. we all think yur a cnut and would likely wave you farther out... :P
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:09 am

the thing is, people think a rip will kill you.
rips dont bloody kill you, they just move you to a different place.
same with rock fishing, people think if you fall in the water it means you will die...
i dont get it, how do these people die?
surfers jump off the rocks all the time.
i really think most people dont know the water and panic

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:14 am

offshore1 wrote:How about just checking in with the council lifeguards prior to entering the water, marcus?
you should be happy that there are people who care about your well-being.
we don't here of course. we all think yur a cnut and would likely wave you farther out... :P
:lol:
the lifeguards were cool, they said they didnt know why the cops turned up either.
they said people should call them first not the police.
we were agreeing on it.
yeah i have been going up to the lifeguards and saying gday some times, but sometimes you just go straight out.
i now wear a helmet so the know its me.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:40 am

I saw Marcus surfing G-land at night with some little torch thingamajiggy strapped to his noggin.
He's obviously a mad cnut.
If he said he caught a ride on a passing shark and feeling fine stripped off naked to enjoy the ride more fully and perhaps gain some directional stability I would believe him implicitly.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:24 am

marcus wrote: same with rock fishing, people think if you fall in the water it means you will die...
Trackies, jumper, wet weather jackets, gloves, boots, these are all items of apparel that make it considerably harder to swim with. Then factor in that a surfer jumps of the rocks intentionally and times his jump accordingly, whereas most rock fishermen don't just throw themselves into the wash for sh*ts and giggles, but rather get caught off balance and dragged in.

Perhaps rock fishermen should be more heroic, and stop drowning like the soft c0cks they obviously are...
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Little D
regular

Post by Little D » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:58 am

a mate of mine and his crew were paddling from Longy to Palmy yesterday (sunday) morning in training for the Molokai.
about 10mins into the paddle he found that he was being followed by a police chopper after someone rang up and said they spotted a windsurfer that had gone down...

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:30 am

marcus wrote:the thing is, people think a rip will kill you.
rips dont bloody kill you, they just move you to a different place.
same with rock fishing, people think if you fall in the water it means you will die...

when you go rock fishing you are usually fully clothed, it's often nighttime, you get swept in due to large powerful waves rather than simply falling in, and you dont normally have huge chunks of foam to float on.

i take it you've never even thought about real rockfishing

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 am

^^isn't that funny, I was part of that crew, wondered what the fcuk was going on with the helicopters

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:39 am

ok i guess you guys have a point with regards to rock fishing.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:51 am

Nick Carroll wrote:^^isn't that funny, I was part of that crew, wondered what the fcuk was going on with the helicopters
You and little D should catch up for a beer...
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:31 pm

el rancho wrote:
when you go rock fishing you are usually fully clothed, it's often nighttime, you get swept in due to large powerful waves rather than simply falling in, and you dont normally have huge chunks of foam to float on.

i take it you've never even thought about real rockfishing
i sued to be a regular at the tubes and beecoft and cemented many rod holder tubes around wollongong and kiama.
but yeah i see your point about heavy clothes and having something to float on.

on Radio 2HD we have on at work they were talking about the merits of banning rock fishing, or making it compulsary to wear life vests.
i think learning how to swim would be a higher priority.