in defense sharks

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

in defense sharks

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:58 am

has anyone got any ideas if a certain colour boards attact sharks more than others :?: :idea:

i've been told yellow attracts sharks , but may be getting reved up :lol:

( where both gone if it's true trev :shock: )

some old S.A crew use swear by painting a big eye on the bottom there boards :idea:

any one know any other :idea:

and are these claims backed by any proof
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

lambert
barnacle

Re: in defense sharks

Post by lambert » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:22 pm

see the thing about colors, especially fluroes is that they attract the sharks more than black and the likes. but when a shark is near you and they see a fluro colored person they are gonna be much more likely to write it off as a bouy where as if they see a black(wetsuited) person they will be more likely to mistake you. i surf with my crossbow just in case

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:28 pm

hmmmm....thanks but not much help :|

hasn't anyone done any research into this :shock:

what happened too those leggies they where going make that contained a shark repellant :idea: :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:06 pm

that was the research :| and they only proved that sharks are as predictable as a Taiwanese prostitute.

you can get the emp modules that mount behind your leash plug.. that's about it :roll:

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:33 pm

lambert wrote:see the thing about colors, especially fluroes is that they attract the sharks more than black and the likes. but when a shark is near you and they see a fluro colored person they are gonna be much more likely to write it off as a bouy where as if they see a black(wetsuited) person they will be more likely to mistake you. i surf with my crossbow just in case
I reckon it would be the opposite! Sharks would attract to black wetsuits since it would be mistaking you for a seal, whereas the fluroes would tell the shark that you're not a seal!
That's if sharks can even see colours, after all. Sharks have shit vision anyway and rely on their other senses to find their prey. If you wanna see a shark you should have somewhere on your body bleeding, piss in the water and be splashing around as much as you can.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:37 am

yomutha wrote: Sharks would attract to black wetsuits since it would be mistaking you for a seal, whereas the fluroes would tell the shark that you're not a seal!
could've sworn thats what i said...

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:11 am

Shit :oops: ma bad haha. Shoulda read it twice eh..

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:43 am

In large green letters write TOFU on the bottom of your board ... seriously ... not even a shark would eat that.

:lol:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:05 pm

look

sharks have been top the feed chain in our worlds oceans for million years

back too and b4 the dinosaurs, the evolution of man and sup riders... :lol:

as relative new comers too there turf

the ocean

i say WE KILL EM ALL IN ONE BIG CULL :idea:

there had there time....it's our turn now....bastard shark biting bastards

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:28 pm

Shit,I hope they don't like rabbits-or I might be next!
Rabbit.jpg
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:38 pm

Hey the fact that all the victims have hand and leg wounds seems to suggest to me:

1.The shark was not big enough to take on the whole person and it knew it.

2.The shark probably mistook the limbs for something smaller like a fish following the surfboard.

3.The shark did not come round again which seems to correlate with the idea that it realised its mstake and went on looking for regular food.

4.If we were regular food then the attacks would be prolific since obviously they have no trouble tracking us down.

What is needed is a proper investigation into the change of conditions which have altered shark behaviours and a more advanced warning system. ?? Sonar?? :?: :roll:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:08 pm

lessormore wrote:Shit,I hope they don't like rabbits-or I might be next!
Rabbit.jpg

are you looking at taking out the wooden spoon in your club with that rabbit logo on your board
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:42 pm

diggerdickson wrote:
Rabbit.jpg

are you looking at taking out the wooden spoon in your club with that rabbit logo on your board
Mate-goin on last nights trial we have an abundance of speed in the halves,ditto for the new backs(C.Best is on fire already),forwards going forward and Heggarty finally gone elsewhere-the only way is up!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 am

I could be wrong about this but a mate who is a dives regularly around the Port Phillip Heads, Westernport Reefs and Phillip Island for crays reckons that sharks don't go on vision. He's seen plenty of sharks too I might add and hates them more for the fact that they often eat the fish he kills and attaches to his buoy as opposed to whether they might have a go at him. He reckons it goes like this:

First sense is sonar which picks up electromagnetic fields around their prey
Second is their scent which picks up smells
Third is their teeth
Fourth is their eyes.

So basically the color you're wearing means sweet FA. If the shark deems you worthy of a closer look it will come in and it may bite you if it thinks you could be a nice snack. But 99% of the time once it's teeth go in and it realises that you're not full of nice fat and flabby flesh it lets go. If it really wanted to eat you it would sink it's teeth in, twist and rip, and take off a massive chunk, wait for you to bleed to death and finish the job. Or it might not wait at all.

Some sharks are more aggressive than others, Bull's and Tigers will attack and eat almost anything as they come in close to shore and are nasty little bastards, others such as Threshers and Nurse's will pretty much ignore you unless they think you're a threat.

Also Sharks are pretty intelligent, they're much more inclined to attack something that won't put up a fight, humans generally do so they don't bother. My mate reckons that most sharks who actively target humans may be pregnant, unwell or near starving as well.

But neither he nor I are marine biologists so this summary is probably open to debate
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:07 am

Kunho5 wrote:What is needed is a proper investigation into the change of conditions which have altered shark behaviours and a more advanced warning system. ?? Sonar?? :?: :roll:
well as John Stevens pointed out in the SMH this morning, it might be worth correlating with the types of summer we get.

On the middle of the NSW coast this year's been an odd one, there was a bit of early season upwelling, then a period of fairly dead water and sunny as hell weather without much rain -- bringing heaps of people to the beach.

Then very quickly, a burst of upwelling which really changed the surface water, making it cooler and smelly with formerly buried nutrient. Then right on its heels a period of intense rainfall and easterly winds/swell and a sudden jump back up again in inshore surface water temps.

That unusually late upwelling and the sudden rainfall, which flushed the rivers and poured more nutrients into the system, just seemed to blow up the baitfish.

Back in the 1920s and 30s, when shark attacks off Sydney beaches were more common, it's surprising how many of 'em seemed to occur in late January and early to mid February -- not so much in late Dec, the holiday period, when you'd expect most of the beachgoing to occur. Also surprising was how you'd get a season when four or five people would be attacked, then a period of several years when nothing happened.

Didn't seem to be a pattern at the time, but I wonder if some smart researcher could go back and look at the weather through the sharky years and the not-so-sharky, and find some pattern there. Like, sharky years featuring systemic northerly winds (the upwellers) in mid January, not so much in Nov or Dec. Or sudden heavy periods of rainfall in the weeks preceding attack binges.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:26 am

Not even man eating, widow making sharks would sink that low.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:48 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Didn't seem to be a pattern at the time, but I wonder if some smart researcher could go back and look at the weather through the sharky years and the not-so-sharky, and find some pattern there. Like, sharky years featuring systemic northerly winds (the upwellers) in mid January, not so much in Nov or Dec. Or sudden heavy periods of rainfall in the weeks preceding attack binges.
I'm pretty sure any serious fisherman would tell you something similar. Currents, water temps, swell size can all affect the amount of nutrients in the water and give rise to good, bad or ugly fishing prospects so it makes sense that the sharks are not too far behind.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm

I pretty much agree with all that Nick's said and have written something along those lines already re: the upwelling and the rains but you have to add in NSW fisheries buying up commercial fishing licenses and the closing of commercial fishing in Sydney harbor - which I think is a good thing but bad for us surfers.

One little spot in the harbor I've had a bit to do with is around
Birchgrove
I spent part of my screwed up childhood (the better bits) there and about 7 years ago did another stint there and they were still doing commercial fishing there, then. They'd do loops in-between Yurulbin point and Greenwich wharf all night. There were fish runs there, then and I'm pretty sure I saw some yellow fins once - which I'd guess were king fish. Well now, after they stopped commercial fishing in the area, there are real fish runs :shock: people are pulling out kingy's ffs - that I have not heard of or seen before. If I mention seeing yellow fins to people in that area 7 years ago - I was a bit crazy or a bull shit artist now ...
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .