Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cranked » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:51 pm

Changed my return date to 10 Nov. Surf is starting to drop off but so are the crowds. Wind is still offshore or calm.

Incredible glass off today, but swell very small.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:59 pm

Interesting surf at Beacon. Only 4 out. Started off about waist high with really strong offshore. Within half an hour there were chest high sets. Power level definitely went up. Forgot Vicco can get new swell very quickly. Head high sets started appearing. Wasn’t feeling overly confident on my 5’11” small wave board. Especially with the wind. Biggest set of the day comes through. I figure it’s best to grab the first one and make an exit. Start paddling, wind howling into the face. Think I’m gonna be ok but then get that sinking feeling that it’s gonna hold me up. Get to my feet just in time for it to pitch and I’m lip launched. Full free fall drop. Seemed like an eternity til I hit the surface. Then the obligatory explosion and thump into the reef. Popped up just in time to get the next three waves on the head. Got my arse handed to me :lol: . Think I’ll start looking for a bigger board.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:35 pm

I sprained my AC joint landing sideways on the inside reef there. Bloody design fault, I say.

I was on my way to the pass for the early this morn but noticed the wind was SW so went out at the point instead.
Stayed clean for all of 15 minutes but was fun nonetheless.
Changed the box fin out in the 6’5 from the 7.5 flex to a stiff 7” AB and it was so different.
Instant reaction to turns and so much more drive.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:37 pm

Definitely design fault. Not the surfer.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:00 pm

Too small to bother surfing today, and yesterday for that matter, but the next few days look good
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:29 pm

Just surfed it then Buddy.

it was that side shore SE wind, some really chunky ones and a lot of work, uncrowded.

I had a lot of fun.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:17 pm

A glassy slow swell in northern Santa Cruz.
Had to weave between the kelp which made it a bit like surfing the Pass, dodging obstacles.

It was a great chat rather than a great surf but still very pleasant.
No problem with parking.
Starting to cool off. Won't be too long before I need more insulation.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:38 pm

Yesterday. Noosa.
Drove straight into a park in the lifesavers car park

Paddled off the beach and caught a couple small ones at First Point then paddled across Little Cove to outside Johnnos, caught a couple more and paddled out to outer Gum Trees and gorged myself on long rides back to Johnnos.
2½ hours plus the paddle back to the beach.
Plenty of people out but no problem getting waves.
Unless the surf is really pumping they're a friendly lot at Noosa.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:13 am

Saw recent footage ofthe Superbank. So good and so crowded. Tried thinking of my chances of actually snaring a wave and not getting run over or hitting someone. Minimal I would think.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:16 am

Yeah.
Looks crazy.
But so do the shots of Noosa tbh.

I've got a couple of mates who do a Snapper run once a week or so and they tend to get plenty of waves.
They say it's like Noosa. Lots just sitting around.

Different as the quality of waves increase though.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:28 am

True or false Trev. Sunshine Coast is blown out by 10.30am most of the year? I was telling someone how much I’ve joyed that area and that was his response.,
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:45 am

This arvo is looking exciting
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:54 am

@Thud
Really just late spring till late summer. Probably relates more to lack of swell than wind.

But strong SEasters can blow for a week at a time which would give that impression unless you lived here.
I honestly don't pay that much attention to later in the day.

If there's swell, there's always somewhere to surf. Generally not as much power as you'd expect south of the border.

Looking at the nightly SE Qld weather maps you can see that the southerly and sowesterly winds tend to swing around the top of Moreton Island and become more South Easterly during the day. So that might be what he's talking about.

Having said all that, I used to get heaps of late afternoon sessions back a few years but I generally only surf once a day now. A mate of mine is a butcher, lives right at Moffat's and surfs most afternoons.
The early morning, pre work (and no daylight saving) all work really well.
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:59 am

Just thinking about it a bit more. When you look at the almost featureless coastline (apart from Coolum), from Maroochydore to the southern side of Noosa, even a southerly would destroy it.
Beanpole

Skipper

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:31 am

Trev wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:16 am
Yeah.
Looks crazy.
But so do the shots of Noosa tbh.

I've got a couple of mates who do a Snapper run once a week or so and they tend to get plenty of waves.
They say it's like Noosa. Lots just sitting around.

Different as the quality of waves increase though.
Yeah, I’d still go out if I was there. Although Currumbin would be a good alternate. Noosa, definitely.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:34 am

The Alley at Currumbin looks worse than Snapper.
Awesome spot but just to complicate things, I'm told there are two separate surf schools operating there now.
Beanpole

Skipper

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:46 am

Different clientele though. Snapper has every hotshot ontheGold Coast……except Jimbo of course since he’s out of action.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:18 am

I've never had trouble getting waves at the superbank, as an intermediate surfer. Obviously I'm not taking off behind the rock.
Or the Pass.
Noosa can be more challenging if you're not on a mal.

I did dislocate my shoulder at Snapper avoiding a Japanese tourist. Should've just run into them.