Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:18 am

Plenty of Loonies at San Francisco as well. One on every corner raving. Funny Haight Ashbury was more upmarket than half the rest of the place. Cross between Newtown and Nimbin.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:35 am

alakaboo wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:59 am
Local public school Jimmy.

The homelessness is confronting. And I'd agree with most of the other points, Thud.

I'd have to go to San Diego to do a comparison with 2006-7 when I lived there last. The bay area is nothing like Maryland, that's for sure.
Except for the rich people in ugly houses and the incomprehensible traffic.
Good point. I loved San Diego when I was there 20 years ago.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:08 am

Thud wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:25 am
My youngest daughter just got back from a trip visiting relos in California. She’s been going since she was born. She’s a bit older now and her take was she didn’t like it anymore. Mainly because of the large amount of homelessness in LA and San Francisco, the clear divisional changes magnified under Trump and the seemingly soulless existence of every day Americans. She stayed up at Santa Cruz for about the fourth time and found it was still a colder sea side pier town sprinkled with ex hippies and drug addicts. Gave it a “ok”. To note a large drug problem, her cousin died or a heroin overdose a few years back. Decent kid just a bit lost there.
Our daughter is over there ATM.
Spending a few months with her brother in Canada but booked a 28 day bus tour (COSMOS?) from New York to Los Angeles.
Sending through a selection of photos each day on WhatsApp.
Yesterday was Dearborn and the Henry Ford Museum.
They have the car Kennedy was shot in, a rocking chair from the stage where Lincoln was shot and the car Roosevelt was shot in.
Americans huh?

Oh. And THE Rosa Parks bus.
Not like us. We just name a swimming centre after a prime minister who drowned.🤪

She's in Chicago now. Just talked on Messenger.
There's about 30 people on the bus including several from Sydney, a couple from Brisbane and Adelaide.

Go for it Steve and Dazz. 😉
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:03 pm

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:18 pm

Mr Puffy Pants wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:03 pm
Greyhound buses in North America are the most depressing transport I've been on
Haha yeah.
Daughter did that back in about 1998.
Got on a Greyhound bus in SF which was shown as going to Washington DC.
It did but basically non stop via this weird looping route south west through Texas and sort of north through the mid west.
No overnight stops. 3⅐ days.

That was an experience for a 20 year old blonde travelling alone.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:18 pm

I’d go by train if I was going to do that. Definitely if I ever go to Banff again.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:25 pm

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:42 pm

On the other hand, driving big distances in the USA is pretty easy if you're the driver.

Plenty of rest stops, traffic moves pretty quick, no cops hiding in bushes every 10 metres or constant wildlife trying to obliterate your car running over the road.

We went on a roadtrip to Oregon a few weeks ago and took in the sights. Was really good, I was averaging between 120-140km/h on the highways
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:51 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:51 am
The homelessness is so confronting.
It is, when you stop and think this is one of the wealthiest countries on the planet.

Although after spending a lot of time in India for work, which included doing some volunteer work in slums with the missus, it's nowhere near as bad as the shit those poor folks were going through.

My kids on the other hand were very confronted by it, especially in LA at Venice Beach and Hollywood which is maybe worse than the Tenderloin in SF (depending on the day). We had a few long discussions with them in the days that followed about it. Fortunately I met a nice homeless guy a few days later and I had a long chat with him on the street while my son stood quietly next to me. I think it helped him to see that not all of these folks are deranged addicts - admittedly a lot of them are though
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:56 pm

Grooter wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:42 pm
On the other hand, driving big distances in the USA is pretty easy if you're the driver.

Plenty of rest stops, traffic moves pretty quick, no cops hiding in bushes every 10 metres or constant wildlife trying to obliterate your car running over the road.

We went on a roadtrip to Oregon a few weeks ago and took in the sights. Was really good, I was averaging between 120-140km/h on the highways
Yep, only thing that got me really with driving was the abrupt on ramps and off ramps.

Re: homeless. India is the only place comparable IMHO.Disgraceful in one of the richest countries in the world.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:57 pm

Mr Puffy Pants wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:25 pm
There's also this:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/vince-li

That doesn't really surprise me given the demographic on those greyhounds and in the truck stops
Oh yeah. She's got some stories to tell.

Really glad she was home before she told us about it.

Might have already told the story but at another time she caught a ferry across the Red Sea from Egypt to Jordan and used public transport through Jordan and Syria to Turkey. Via Petra.
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:00 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:56 pm
Grooter wrote:

Yep, only thing that got me really with driving was the abrupt on ramps and off ramps.

Re: homeless. India is the only place comparable IMHO.Disgraceful in one of the richest countries in the world.
I'm not suggesting this applies to all the homeless in North America but it would seem there's a significant proportion of them who choose that lifestyle because they want to.
Talked to a couple of small groups in SF and they gave me the impression they were there by choice (while asking for money).
Beanpole

Skipper

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:01 pm

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:13 pm

Trev wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:00 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Grooter wrote:

I'm not suggesting this applies to all the homeless in North America but it would seem there's a significant proportion of them who choose that lifestyle because they want to.
Talked to a couple of small groups in SF and they gave me the impression they were there by choice (while asking for money).
A lot of seniors are living in their cars too. I’m always a bit sceptical when Yanks say that. You know what their other choices are?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:40 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:09 am
jimmy wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:13 am
alakaboo wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:55 pm
Getting there. Moving into our house over the next week or so.
Which school are the girls going to?
Typical Sydney Question. You can take the boy out of Sydney……
It might seem that way, Beans. But I was asking because I find Boo’s answers regarding his decisions on schooling his children interesting. Especially in light of the situation in the US at the moment. You might also note that no one was actually asking you anything. You just decided to jump in on a post that wasn’t in anyway relevant to you, Beans.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:06 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Grooter wrote:

You can’t compare India to the US.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:36 pm

jimmy wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:40 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:09 am
jimmy wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:13 am
alakaboo wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:55 pm
Getting there. Moving into our house over the next week or so.
Which school are the girls going to?
Typical Sydney Question. You can take the boy out of Sydney……
It might seem that way, Beans. But I was asking because I find Boo’s answers regarding his decisions on schooling his children interesting. Especially in light of the situation in the US at the moment. You might also note that no one was actually asking you anything. You just decided to jump in on a post that wasn’t in anyway relevant to you, Beans.
Yeah, right not like I have put my kids through school. My old man was a teacher as well. Coming from the country I’ve found as many others have that people in Sydney wank on about what school you went to and where your kids go to school in a way that puzzles most people. So I find that interesting. Not the same issue in the States. Unless you decide to live In Arkansas or the Ozark. California is progressive.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:38 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:08 am
What's the main differences Boo?
Bear in mind I moved from a cow paddock in central Maryland to the research center of the world...

Lot more Chinese people and Hispanics, not as many Indian or black people.

Better food in general. See above.

People in the north east are more friendly. When I first moved there I kept thinking that I'd forgotten people but it was just strangers waving from across the street and coming to chat. Californians barely say hello.

Vastly different climate. The fog is weird but the thermal inertia of the water is nice.

The landscape is more like West Australia, dry healthy stuff but with conifers. The trails are better underfoot or under tread, dusty or spongy in the conifers. Maryland trails were muddy and rocky.
It's also good to be able to go to the forest without having to check if it's hunting season. I got fucking sick of the fact the best biking and backcountry snowboarding was in redneck areas where people might just start shooting near the trail.

Politically, everyone is democratic, even those with family money. In Maryland we lived in a pale blue island in a deep red county. I got sick of the Trump/Confederate/back the blue/don't tread on me/election was stolen flags everywhere.

There's more but that's a start.