What would you do if you had 4 months in Indo?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

poseid0n

Post by poseid0n » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi will be spending 4 months in indo from around May on and wondering what ideas any one might have for surf as I can see myself just hanging in Bali and surfing Ulus for the whole time which would prob be a little dumb.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: What would you do if you had 4 months in Indo?

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:06 pm

poseid0n wrote: What would you do if you had 4 months in Indo?

cook a really nice meal and eat it :?: :idea:

i mean four months....shit...i could out do the last supper with that amount prep 8)

p.s i'd also go Brazilian and shave all my body hair...always wanted do it...just never got the time

how do guys find the time shave themselfs all over every day :? :?:

couple ideas help fill in ya time :wink: i'm here help
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

CaptKooK
Grommet

Post by CaptKooK » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:42 am

Just rock up and go from there, don't make any plans then you won't have to break em.

Lakey Peak is worth a visit though.

dee-r-e
Grommet

Post by dee-r-e » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:15 am

I know this might sound like sacrilege but if I had 4 months I wouldn't surf the entire time.
I'd take at least a month off to do other things in Indo.
Kalimantan, Dive in Sulawesi, go through Sumatra (Medan, Padang).
Indo is more than just surfing, I think you'd get a better experience out of it if you travel through it.
That's my 2 cents.
2 days
3 nites

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:59 am

one word :arrow: potatoes

there is just soooooo much you could do with the humble spud given four months explore it's cooking creativity

by the end....i'm sure the cave men would drop there bones and sit down too a feast of spuds unlike nothing they had ever ate b4
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

D_Jammer

Post by D_Jammer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:05 am

Been there twice for a few month long stints and always wish I could stay for the entire season.

So if I had to do a 4 month stint, I would spend some time hangin at Ulu's and hopefully score a swell at Padang.

I'd do a few weeks at Gland, head overland to Lakeys stop off at Lombok (not Desert's though, better off hanging around in Bali then heading over when a swell hits), and surfing the Yo-Yos to Scars stretch around Manuk, then do some time at Lakeys.

I'd def go back to the Ments, do a boaty to cover the whole chain, see Macca's and Lance's etc, then spend a few weeks staying on land in the Playgrounds area (ask around about staying near Ebay for cheap cheap).

While up there may as well try and score Nias.

You could do land based sumatra and java but I heard it's a bit hit and miss.

Also I kinda agree with dee, I heard there is a National Park on the northern tip of Sumatra that is just epic (no surf but apparently amazing). Climb a few volcanos etc.

If you're feeling adventurous maybe try and head to Sumba?!

Also, pack really really light, coffin and one back pack with minimal crap. First off though, just rock up at Ulu's for a few weeks and talk to people and see whats going down.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:31 am

take a board bag full of mull and get 20 yrs instead

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:29 am

I would hang out in Kuta the whole time and prey on vulnerable young women.

The Russians are paying good money for new stock.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:16 am

D_Jammer wrote:Also I kinda agree with dee, I heard there is a National Park on the northern tip of Sumatra that is just epic (no surf but apparently amazing). Climb a few volcanos etc.
A couple of mates recommend an island off the nortehrn tip of Aceh, apparently the snorkelling was forst rate with large rays, turtles etc.

I have no idea how it fared up since the tsunami though as Aceh had been pretty much shut for a few years prior to the event anyway...

I reckon I'd try the lot as others have suggested, but I guess it'd come down to what your daily budget looks like. I'd be prepared to take quick fliughts around to hit swells (like someone mentioned about deserts).

Sumatra would be a great country to motorbike around and check out some of the lake villages, orangatangs etc.

Wish I was in a position to the same!

poseid0n

Post by poseid0n » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks for the tips, some good ones there, esp the one about doing things other then surfing, never thought about that but indo I guess would have some great places and experiences to take in that are not surf related, (been there twice before and never done anything that was not surf related). Went to Gland in 2004 was ok but crowds were pretty bad I thought. Might try to get out there to the harder to get to spots if I can.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:33 pm

stupid farrrkkkinnn question really ??? get tubed off my head, drink lots of bintang, party in Kuta, spend some time in G-Land and a certain left in Sumba, and just live life coz thats the shit dreams are made of...just go , I am as jealous as hellll.... :)

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:17 pm

If I was in Indo for 4 months...

I would:
- Stay in Bali for a week
- Sumbawa for a week
- Sumba for a week
- Roti for a week
- Other way to West Java for a week
- Panatian island if it's working
- Sumatra mainland for a week
- Southern Mentawais for a week
- Nias for a week
- Then the rest of the time at playgrounds!
D_Jammer wrote: then spend a few weeks staying on land in the Playgrounds area (ask around about staying near Ebay for cheap cheap).
Ooh I've been eying off the place around there!

http://www.pitstophill.com/

I've decided that I won't ever have the time or money to go there... And when I do, the prices would have jacked up another thousand bucks :(

poseid0n

Post by poseid0n » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Cheers some real useful info there. I will be going by myself and was thinking money is not really an issue (although looked at pitstophill and mentawais which has caused a rethink on that). Can afford around 1500 to 2k per month so that should be plenty I hope. Done a fair bit of traveling around asia and europe before so don't mind going alone but can be easier and cheaper to hook up with a few crew at times so will see how that goes.