How do you define a kook?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

how do you define a kook?

utterly clueless ( couldn't duckdive a 1' shorey )
56%
anyone from Manly
44%

Total votes: 16

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:42 am

In that case Newport Peak is full of Kooks :lol:

ether
regular

Post by ether » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:58 am

NC's definition may be spot on, but it does put a lot of competent surfers in the kook category, which isn't really the vernacular usage of the word.

I reckon Wanderer nailed it on the vernacular, even though it mightn't be technicallly correct.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:36 am

Yeah NC has it, they usually paddle out to spots way out of their league and don't catch a wave as they sit wide awkardly and stand out like dog balls. The ocean usually puts kooks back in their place but not always.

stinky_wes
regular

Post by stinky_wes » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:28 pm

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:19 pm

People who surf occasionally.
Either you surf or you don't. I can't stand half-arsed Sunday only people. These are the people who make up the majority of the crowd on a weekend and who are kooks.

They surf the same as they did last year and the year before. Hardly a turn usually going straight for the beach.

Unfortunately I have friends and family that fall into this category, and they wonder why I always drop in on them?

:lol:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:44 pm

FishStick wrote:People who surf occasionally.
Either you surf or you don't. I can't stand half-arsed Sunday only people. These are the people who make up the majority of the crowd on a weekend and who are kooks.

They surf the same as they did last year and the year before. Hardly a turn usually going straight for the beach.

Unfortunately I have friends and family that fall into this category, and they wonder why I always drop in on them?

Nail on head.

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:03 pm

People who pay-out on so-called "kooks" on an internet forum titled 'How do you define a kook?' are total kooks.

wambie ripper
Grommet

Post by wambie ripper » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:44 pm

i find it interesting if your out on a shite day at a well known beach when its like 2 ft. that just about everyone out there are hopeless (falling off nosediving etc.)

:roll:

Bit then when u are out when its perfect 4 ft. that juest about every surfer out absolutely rips 8)

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I'll have a crack at it.

A Kook is a surfer with an exaggerated idea of his or her actual surfing ability and importance, and behaving as such, in or out of the lineup.
The word Kook has moved into the mainstream English language to mean someone that has NO idea.

A total cluster f-ck. !!!!

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Kookiness is a state of mind, and anyone one who gets in my way :lol:

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:51 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I'll have a crack at it.

A Kook is a surfer with an exaggerated idea of his or her actual surfing ability and importance, and behaving as such, in or out of the lineup.
Pretty close Nick but I think that is the definition of a wanker, someone whose ambition exceeds their ability. Apparently politics is a good place for such like.

I think it is the first place we all started. A kook today could be tomorrow's 8 time world champ.

I will never forget the day me and my idiot mates thought it would be really hilarious to write "piss off rubbernecks" on the back of my wetsuit and I went out for a surf at Midway amongst a bunch of accomplished locals who knew straight away. I was given the dressing down I deserved, was dropped in on every wave, never given a chance. I was about 15 at the time but felt like a 3 y/o by the time I got out of the surf. Yep I was a kook and a wanker. I'm not a kook anymore!

Stokie
Grommet

Post by Stokie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:42 pm

I don't think 'kook' really needs a definition, but a kook to me is someone who unwittingly gets in way and has no idea of surf etiquette.

fong

Post by fong » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:56 pm

i'm on the hoof :oops:

tween houses....or more importantly river mouths :wink:

a kook :?: :arrow:

borrowed a boat today....went out in unfilmilar setting :arrow:

hit sandbank :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

couldn't help but say it....." i feel like such a tourist :oops: :roll: "

i recken everyone starts off a kook.....but if u don't figure it out quick :arrow: KOOK FOR LIFE :lol:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:19 pm

I think NC has it right but also agree that the same definition fits a "Wanker" which is a much more Australian term.
A word of caution though, someone can look like a Kook (Wanker) for a variety of reasons but not necessarily be one. About 3 weeks ago I was in Qld and paddled out at the Alley (Currumbin) on an unfamiliar board. To be fair it was one of my old ones, last ridden about 6 years ago. Anyway I was totally out of it for the first three waves then "clicked" on a good one and it all came right. My point is, I was very aware that the people around me would have been judging me poorly. So I was at pains not to get in anyone's road. Was I a "Kook"? Probably, in the eyes of the other surfers. Hope I redeemed myself after the first 15 minutes.
Just to make matters worse, for the first half of my surfing career untill I moved to Sydney 12 years ago, The Alley was my local. But I didn't recognise anyone who was out there that day.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Slowman wrote: I think it is the first place we all started. A kook today could be tomorrow's 8 time world champ.
i wouldn't go that far. that defines beginner, but i wouldn't necessarily call all beginners kooks. as some beginners surf with respect & keep out of harms way - their own as well as others.

i also agree with the "out of their depth" view on the kook

and to add another dimension to the kook:

easter holiday makers from sydney who are the part-time surfers, when paddling for waves they look inside, then proceed to burn anyone who happens to be there!!!

they KNOW well enough to LOOK
they then make very poor judgement & drop-in

KOOK!!

out of their league & poor judgement

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Is this the kook conversation again?

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:29 pm

FishStick wrote:People who surf occasionally.

"I'm sooo hardcore coz I surf more than someone else"
That attitude makes you as much a kook as anyone else in the water :roll:

lovinglife
regular

Post by lovinglife » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:16 pm

This topic is soooo pathetic/done-to-death that I'm gonna hijack it....

here are some pretty pictures:

A choo choo train

A wowwipop

Mmmmmm monaro

Donkey

Uranus

Kook

Kookie