What is wrong with this picture?????

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

robzig
Local

What is wrong with this picture?????

Post by robzig » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:01 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: What is wrong with this picture?????

Post by Grooter » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:14 am

robzig wrote:This is a pic from the 14th of March off Realsurf.

This is the problem with Sydney now. You have massive crowds who seem to not be able to surf. Or infact they have been driven to take off on a close out. Now I ask you who the hell takes off on a wave like that? Six guys.... Are people really the desperate that they will take a straight hander? I just don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something.
They are having fun.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:17 am

You should see it when it’s busy robzzzzzz :shock:

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:31 am

You obviously don't surf Longy.
I'll tell you whats wrong with the pic. There's no goatboater in it.

Frin
Grommet

Post by Frin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:38 am

robzig wrote:This is a pic from the 14th of March off Realsurf.

This is the problem with Sydney now. You have massive crowds who seem to not be able to surf. Or infact they have been driven to take off on a close out. Now I ask you who the hell takes off on a wave like that? Six guys.... Are people really the desperate that they will take a straight hander? I just don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something.
People gotta start somewhere - everyone goes straight at some point in their surfing education...

ether
regular

Post by ether » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:43 am

robzig wrote:Six guys.....
In fairness to the guy on the far right-hand shoulder, I reckon he decided against dropping in on the guy who dropped in on the other guy. That'd only make it 5 guys. :wink: :shock:

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:49 am

None of 'em seem to be wearing sluggoes though.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:11 am

No Mans is a left in line with the Point and about 300ms away. It breaks a few times a year on large NE swells when the current drags sand out that far. That pic is from near Poles.

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:22 am

maybe it's just part of whole retro surf trend.
they've been watching "endless summer", seeing 12 people on 10 foot boards riding the one 20 foot hawaiin wave.

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:24 am

The surf forecast websites were probably predicting that it would be on this morning. I count seven guys on the wave. That's the problem with forecasts.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:27 am

moreorless wrote:I count seven guys on the wave.
Nah 5 on the wave and one about to. The 7th person is actually a branch from the dunes. Observe how there is no wake where the branch is. Dooo it!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:36 am

Even the branch is catching the wave! That's something you don't see every day.

Sydney surfing - gotta love it.

But how beautiful are these autumnal mornings.

How beautiful as that word autumnal! Great to be alive type of day. Can't wait for the easter break and those cool offshore mornings up the coast, without the crowds.

Butts

Post by Butts » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:46 am

Coops@DY wrote:No Mans is a left in line with the Point and about 300ms away. It breaks a few times a year on large NE swells when the current drags sand out that far. That pic is from near Poles.
Coops, pic is between Clubhouse and No Mans :wink:
Left was working okay, Rights were shutdown quick. 8)

Straight handers all over the place :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oldman, great conditions this morning - know exactly what you mean. :)
Mmmm, Autumnnnnnnnn 8)

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 am

That ain't nothin'. Come down to the Manly stretch sometime. Actually, don't. Just take my word for it, it's 10 times worse.

sands
Grommet

Post by sands » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:49 am

No Mans Land is the undefined area between Long Reef and Dee Why, roughly south of the lagoon & north of the poles. I thought is was named after the WW1 bit of land between enemy trenches.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:40 am

smnmntl wrote:"Nah, mate, you were here first, you have the wave".

Yeah I do that all the time at Manly. :shock:

ether
regular

Post by ether » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:46 am

smnmntl wrote:Did anybody else read that letter in the Sydney Morning Herald today, some chick from Melbourne writing to say how great Syd is compared to Melb. She went to Bondi and was struck by the chilled out vibe, especially out in the water. She sums up the prevailing Bondi attitude as "Nah, mate, you were here first, you have the wave".

Fkcing idiot.....
The only thing wrong with Melbourne is that it's not Bondi

March 14, 2007
Having recently arrived back in Melbourne after a four-day holiday in Bondi, I'll admit I have come home a snob. Sitting at my desk with one foot sweating it out in a stiletto, and the other in the ocean at Bondi Beach, I'm dreaming of lying in a hammock and reading Jackie Collins in a bikini while drinking a chai latte. Envious of the hedonistic, "what's-the-point-of-a-watch" lifestyle that emanates in Bondi, I'm wondering why Melbourne can't have more Bondi in its black-business-suited, mobile-phone-on-at-all-times, what-are-your-credentials-asking, veins.

In fact, if we chose to swap the competition for parking spaces and promotions and complaints about public transport of Melbourne for the laid-back, "If I sleep less, I have more time to surf" and "Nah, mate, you were here first, you have the wave" attitude of Bondi, I wonder would our lives be more worthwhile, if not more enjoyable?

Finding a new frozen dinner to try at the supermarket and the thrill of ticket evasion on trams are the biggest kicks I get these days, and I'm not alone there.

I think it's important to ask whether this is a satisfying life.

I have come to the sad but realistic conclusion that the meaning of working, and perhaps life, is in fact holidays. That may be taking a family holiday for which you have saved for more than 10 years. It may be the fortnightly weekend away to see your lover interstate. It may be, as in my mother's case, that first trip overseas at the age of 53.

We spend enormous amounts of time saving for, talking about and living in the future when we will be lying on that beach or just relaxing. When it's over we pore over photographs, living in the past of holiday memories until we begin to plan for the next one.

If it's true that the purpose of work is to get away from it for a holiday, what is the point of the whole thing?

Suzanna Owens Melbourne

And she was in Bondi? Never seen that kinda vibe around here.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:55 am

Butts wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:No Mans is a left in line with the Point and about 300ms away. It breaks a few times a year on large NE swells when the current drags sand out that far. That pic is from near Poles.
Coops, pic is between Clubhouse and No Mans :wink:
Left was working okay, Rights were shutdown quick. 8)
Thats not what the Herring bros were calling No Mans in the early '90's.
Everyone says its the left that breaks here in big swells. If your out the Point you can look into the barrel at No Mans. :wink: