that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by ajohnsen » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:33 am

Legion wrote:Huh? Xcel are American, originating in Hawaii.

Discussion like this drives me towards Japanese custom (if I want to spend big $) or indie places like Buell, Hotline, Seventh Wave (if they ever had cheap deals), etc.
Whoops. I meant Triple-X

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:09 pm

I just bought a 2013 O'Neill Reactor 3/2 backzip steamer from Wetsuitcentre in the UK for $115 delivered. Clearly there are still bargains to be found, although KOWS supplied my previous wetty they where not competitive with this crew.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:26 pm

saltman wrote:Bad news just got this from Kings Of WaterSports
Thanks for your order, I’m afraid we are no longer able to ship O’Neill, Billabong, Rip Curl or Quiksilver wetsuits to Australia
There loss if next time i can't get a wetty online from OS at a decent price, I will just give another brand of wetty a go that will deal with me.

All four need to wake up and realise its 2013 and we as the customer have many many more options.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Surfstitch (which usually seems to be full freight RRP) recently had a 30% off sale, so wetties were to be had for almost OS prices.....

Perhaps get on the mailing list and wait for the next sale????

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:07 pm

Buy on eBay people. I have got bargains on there with no issue with shipping to Australia. How does a brand new $470 rrp wetty sound for $120 including shipping? Thanks eBay

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:03 pm

That's a damn shame - as i said, i've been getting $600 oneil suits for $200 shipped for a couple of years from KOWS. There are other UK sites that haven't been bullied yet - but they probably will (magicseaweed?). I have scored a few good deals on ebay. Got a 4/3 buell brand new for $120. A hotline 3/2 for $80. But it was generally out of season and they hung on a rack for six months or so.
US are off imo. They always charge $50 for shipping and the dollar is falling rapidly. I think hanging for sales on surfstitch or japanese customs is a good idea. Anyone want to go into business doing aussie made suits? We can grow beards and aim for the hipster market?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:28 pm

I think a lot depends on size and thickness of suit as to whether you're gonna get a deal...

A lot of the suits that sell out quick here in the UK are top-end 4/3s and 5/3s in medium/MT or large....

Being a UK surfer who normally wears a thick fullsuit, size large, I have to pick and choose... For example, If I can get a 5/3 Xcel infiniti in my size for under 200 quid, then I'm happy...

Springies and shorties go for peanuts, cos no-one wears 'em!! :lol:

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Moore wrote:I think a lot depends on size and thickness of suit as to whether you're gonna get a deal...

A lot of the suits that sell out quick here in the UK are top-end 4/3s and 5/3s in medium/MT or large....

Being a UK surfer who normally wears a thick fullsuit, size large, I have to pick and choose... For example, If I can get a 5/3 Xcel infiniti in my size for under 200 quid, then I'm happy...

Springies and shorties go for peanuts, cos no-one wears 'em!! :lol:
Really?...ive found the exact opposite always heaps of good deals on 4/3 and 5/3, i got a medium size, 5/3 Rip curl e-bomb (no funky colours, all black) for $230 delivered from Europe (not UK)

But searched high and low for months and months for a 3/2 or 2/2 e-bomb and couldn't find much and actually ended up getting a 3/2 e-bomb through, Dexter surf as anything online from OS would have only saved less than $50 and had to go through a freight forwarding company etc, plus hard to find wettys without funky colours.

Personally i dont mind spending a little extra to buy in Australia like $50, but when i can save hundreds of dollars or buy two wetsuits for the price of what one cost here, then its a bit different.

IMO, http://www.dextersurf.com.au have the most consistent best deals in Australia and if you cant find what you want online from OS we should all be supporting them in respect to them playing a lot more fair.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Wonder when the big 4 put the squeeze on Dexter. I'd imagine a lot of retailers wouldn't be stoked with them. Given how the retailers are also largely dictated, ......
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Jakaul

Post by Jakaul » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:15 pm

My quicksilver cypher 3/2 steamer is starting to leak after 11 months. I'd picked it up for $250 from Surfection and thought it was a good deal, hasn't really had heavy use and I am disappointed. I'm now prepared to spend the dollars on a suit of quality that lasts and am tossing up between a Matuse Tumo 4/3/2, Ripcurl Flashbomb and O'neill Psycho 3. I'm interested to know anyone's thoughts or experiences with these suits.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:27 pm

My experience with the Cyphers also is that they are lucky to last 1 season so even at 50% off they are expensive for the lack of durability. Mind you I have a brand new West Lotus that has started falling apart at the seams in several spots after just 4 surfs. I have had to take to it with wetsuit repair cement. There is even a whole section of stitching missing on one sleeve. Unacceptable given the price asked for em . Never again.

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Jak

The matuse tumo is the best suit I have worn. Mine is a 3/2 for Sydney freezing water winter temp that hit a low of 16
:-)

A a guess I'd say it could drop to 12 degrees and the suit would be ok. It really is super warm for a 3/2.

It's the ants pants. Warmer than it needs to be but by no means I'm sweating in it. Silky smooth material. Stretchie to paddle in. Key pocket in the right place. Chest zip. Drys quickly beautiful quality fully taped on the inside with some special looking tape around the chest and back along with outside taping in trouble spots. Ie By the zip and underarm areas.
Perfect suit.

Except.

Fucking impossible to get out of. Super fucking tight to get on. Makes me think I look like a fattie superman. I can't get out of mine without a mate pulling the shoulder down for me. No shit. I've never got out of mine without a helping hand. Once had to ask a stranger for a hand in the car park.
So if you surf by yourself it's not the suit for you.

I have a rip curl e3 pro for the occasion when I'm going solo.
In comparison.
The e3 is also very stretchie possibly more so. It is also older. Not as warm. Lets much more water in. That's mostly because its the pro version so no taping. Previously I had the normal version with full taping and that was much warmer. Very easy to get on and off. Chest zip . In normal version warm enough for Sydney waters easily.

I prefer the matuse. As long as a mate is with me to help me get it off.
Last edited by Glamarama on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scotty12345

Post by Scotty12345 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:21 pm

Good to see the topic of why we pay so much more for wetsuits here in Aus is still getting a run.

Just a quick review on the new O'neill suits with 'technobutter' or whatever marketing name they gave the latest rubber.

A few mates have had the Psycho 3 suits last winter. Warm, warm, warm was the consensus but in every instance they pulled apart at the seams near the Zen zip. Appeared to be an issue with the 'stitchless' seams and just how stretchy the new rubber is.

On the other hand I got myself an O'neill 4/3 Chest Zip 52-12 Fuse 'Limited Edition' (which they are still pumping out three seasons later). All over 'Technobutter' rubber, just as flexible as the ripcurl E4 stuff - fantastic suit. Solid wear for almost two years and no problems at all. Best suit I have ever worn - no contest. The catch? They don't sell it in the Southern Hemi as a 4/3 only as a 3/2.

Still a couple of places in the UK that will send them to Aus though.

A fair few guys here in Tas running the latest Rip Curl Flashbomb suits and nobody is complaining as yet.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Yeah the few mates that have the new Flashbombs and love them. Apparently the sizing is off compared to previous RC wetties eg. L is now MT.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 am

I've got a new Flashbomb 4/3. Same size as the old e bomb. Was a bit tighter at first - probably the quick dry lining. Length wise exactly the same. Very happy with it and hope I get 4 winters (yes 4) out of it like I did the e bomb

Quick dry is not bullshit. Lining feels dry after 10-15 mins

Key stash is a flap instead of the old zip. Key has come out of the pocket once. Saved by the loop

I've had to repair a small hole in the arse. Can't blame RC as it was done on rocks climbing down a cliff

$480 from Dexter
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 pm

anyone bought one of these customs before?

http://www.glidzwetsuits.com/index.php
or
http://www.seventhwave.co.nz/
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:25 pm

None of the UK companies are now willing to ship the big 4 brands to Oz , I have been in touch with 3 majors this last week and no luck with any .

On the bright side E-bay is now being flooded with UK and USA wetsuits and some at real good prices but shipping costs are being charged. Still managed to pick up a Oneiil Guru for $220.