Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Sit I dunno. I hate rant when I'm under work pressure. It's probably a sign I should get back to work.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:10 pm

holy disproportionate response Batman.

this is like Israel sending tanks into Palestine because a few kids threw rocks at them.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:05 am

^^^didn't think he'd do it, well in a way I kind of knew he would, after all , it's dino, aquaman, happy ripper, reggie, andy :roll: oh and I almost forgot, his latest incarnation, Almighty God --

the nuclear option.

the H (arlequin) Bomb.

cya later big guy.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:52 pm

offshore1 wrote:^^^didn't think he'd do it, well in a way I kind of knew he would, after all , it's dino, aquaman, happy ripper, reggie, andy :roll: oh and I almost forgot, his latest incarnation, Almighty God --

the nuclear option.

the H (arlequin) Bomb.

cya later big guy.
Now thats just not funny at all my friend. I have several aliases...buddha (for when I eat too much cake), Mohammed, Ishtar...Axel Rose...but I am afraid the person you have linked me with, whose name shall not be uttered here, represents "the other side"...perhaps Satan, Nergal, Hades...George Clooney...but please never refer to him as the Almighty (just because he constantly does)

You are forgiven my son...one time!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Dear AG,
Would you describe yourself as an interventionist?

Sorry NC. Wrong thread. However do you consider yourself interventionist?
Last edited by Beanpole on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:22 pm

Nick regarding Paul "Sarge" Sargeant, What is he doing now is he ok and overcoming his issues that has been broadly reported? Stab published a column regarding this character a few years back was he as predatory at times as the column led me to believe and did his mischievous sexual misadventure's that the story insinuated cause some surfer's to fall into deep personal issues and drug and alcohol abuse?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:07 pm

Rmb I don't know how Paul Sargeant is going, sorry. The last time I talked with Sarge was three years ago. At the time he seemed to be trying to reinvigorate his relationships with some of the Australian second tier pro surfers, with no success. You'll have to rely on the Stab connection to keep you updated on his progress, though I have to say I doubt they'll bother.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Fair enough, Thank's for responding I understand Stabs piece was a few years ago yet you would have many relationship's within the surf industry that would make you aware of some rumours/info within the industry, I also understand you may not want to compromise friendships so how did Sarge's impact on pro surfing/surfers negative/positive? and was Stab's article fair and accurate?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:55 pm

so he's banned for a while or what?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:15 pm

el rancho wrote:so he's banned for a while or what?
Andy?
2 weeks.
Exchanging text messages ATM.
Trying to get a handle on why he thought he was justified in posting the pics he did instead of just sending me a pm or text straight away.

FFS guys, if something on here cuts through the normal banter and genuinely upsets you, then stick your hand up and say so.
And give some respect to Nick.
This thread is his. It contains a lot of good reading and shows up on the front page of Realsurf.
So please respect Don's and my request and consider your posts accordingly.
I don't have the time to monitor every post all day and even if I did, I wouldn't.
Let's have fun, enjoy taking the piss out of one another but, there's no one on here who doesn't REALLY know where the line is.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:49 pm

i can dig your position trev.

the one of the car plowing through the pack of cyclists obviously got in his craw. funny though, reg shoulda just kept tomtom blocked and it would have just played out.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:57 pm

el rancho wrote:i can dig your position trev.

the one of the car plowing through the pack of cyclists obviously got in his craw. funny though, reg shoulda just kept tomtom blocked and it would have just played out.
Yeah.
Ironically, I was about to remove that vid when I saw his baby pic and deleted that first then went looking for anything else he'd posted.
Then forgot to go back and delete the vid.
So it's all my fault I guess. #*!
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:35 am

Hell no, it's not your fault Trev.

Andy loves to dish it, but can't take it. If you intend to spend 90% of your time here baiting people, then have a little breakdown when you get it back, maybe the internet should be used more sparingly.

He knows the rules. Shearer summed it up perfectly:
Holy disproportionate response Batman.

Andy needs a shrink, not a 2-week suspension.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:26 am

still pretty silly to ban him for two weeks.

thats an equally disproportionate response.

I've got low/zero tolerance for graphic imagery and I just scrolled straight past it.......no drama.

two wongs don;'t make a right.

still, guess it goes to show, that just like Nixon's visit to China in '72, Andy's own charm offensive to SEQLD was as effective in pacifying larger forces. Which is to say, not at all.
Iron fist in a silk glove.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:30 am

rmb wrote:Fair enough, Thank's for responding I understand Stabs piece was a few years ago yet you would have many relationship's within the surf industry that would make you aware of some rumours/info within the industry, I also understand you may not want to compromise friendships so how did Sarge's impact on pro surfing/surfers negative/positive? and was Stab's article fair and accurate?
Sarge's impact, hmmm, well just going on what I observed, I think Sarge started getting involved in surfing around 1980, he'd had something to do with the surf club scene in Cronulla via photojournalism with the local newspaper. I first met him in 1981 when I started working at Tracks. He was an enthusiastic and committed correspondent who shot a lot of pics of the rising pack of Cronulla super grommets of the time. He really got on to showcasing Occy v early and threw himself into covering pro surfing with amazing zeal. From the late 80s to the late 90s I would be surprised if anyone else provided anywhere near the extent of core coverage of pro surfing that Sarge produced, in Tracks and in his video Sarge's Scrapbook pieces. A lot of mid level Australian surfers got sponsorships etc as a result of his coverage and his intercession with various companies especially Billabong to which he became very closely aligned thanks to Occ. All that stuff was of great value to many surfers and also to normal surfers who learned a lot about tour life through his work.

How to balance that against his own struggles with manic depression and alcoholism, and what really went on over the years between him and some younger tour surfers, I don't know. Sarge would be the best person to explain that. I thought I knew him but after the ASP barred him for his sexual transgression against Blakey, I had a conversation with him that left me cold to the bone.

I thought Fred's article was fair and accurate at the time but that a lot of stuff went past to the keeper, there's no room for a Sarge type in pro surfing any more but the past has a way of returning at some point, the full story might be told some day. But a lot of people would have to show a lot of courage in the process, Sarge most of all...and it might be too much to ask.

packa
regular

Post by packa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:02 am

Apology in advance Nick.

Since this thread is, as Trev notes, in general surf discussion, it is open to any unregistered person who happens to visit this forum, so any commentary about the suspension or banning of Andy/Reg/Dino/whoever ... again ... is open for reading by anyone, just like anything he posted in here. We do all know the line and with a lot of you having an even more hidden area, or at the very least the tangents area, to post that type of stuff; the length of the suspension is not really the issue.

We are given a lot of scope, and the banter that flows is what makes it entertaining. Whether you agree or disagree with the time applied to the latest suspension, I feel we need to keep in mind the moderation approach Trev uses, and the benefits it affords all of us ... I for one would not like to take on such a task with all of us. Trev really must enjoy it. :roll:

Sorry ... :\

So, back to the ask Nick flavour:

Nick, how does one best choose an appropriate length pf punishment? I mean, if kids play up, how long should they be 'grounded' or have their access to TV or computers removed? Is there a scale of penalty for indiscretion? Is there an 'iggy scale' or is it more of a subjective system?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:24 am

steve shearer wrote:still pretty silly to ban him for two weeks.

thats an equally disproportionate response.
You think it should have been longer ... thats a bit mean spirited.

Andy can't help it ... I think the underlying problem is that he's a sexually ambiguous white bear ...

Bipolar's the term I think.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:25 am

steve shearer wrote:still pretty silly to ban him for two weeks.
agreed. but I'm not about to put my hand up for Trevs job so it's up to him to make the tough calls