Roy Stewart's Makaha voted surfboard of the year 2010 !

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re: Roy Stewart's Makaha voted surfboard of the year 2010 !

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:24 pm

huie wrote:HAPPY NEW YEAR ROY

cheers huie
Thanks Huie, and best wishes for the new year to your clan also

8)

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Hey Roy, how much prize money did you have to give up to the winner? :lol:
I really appreciate a good piece of timber craftmanship, but geez mate, this prize goes beyond nepotism.
Still, as a piece of craftmanship it looks great, but how do you get that to flex? The deck looks a lot like parquetry (without being perpendicular), and that only flexes with a really good glue/laminate (albeit over the top of supporting beams)?
Have you given it a stress test yet? As someone who is interested in woodwork I would love to know what type of timber you used as a frame and how it reacts to the stress of floating while being picked up and thrust forward by a wave, with someone standing on/around the middle.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:57 pm

hey roy do you like what i done to the spic 8)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:21 pm

I believe Roy's "Surfboard of the year 2010" is in reponse to the SIMA surfboard of the year which I think is an inflatable SUP. :roll:
http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showfl ... =0&fpart=1
Only a rat can win the rat race.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Come on Roy, the gigs up brother. We all know youre taking the piss. No one and I mean no one is buying that thing for $5K let alone $528K. In truth you (or somone else) cut down trees to make what is really something akin to what the eskimos used to paddle before Johnson outboards...it has nothing to do with modern surf design..not in materials nor construction technique. I am no greeny but geez I hate to see trees cut down for that kind of nonsense. At 19 foot the nose of that thing would be at the beach a good ten minutes before the tail arrived. I have been feeling a bit down lately and need a good laugh so when you can please post some footage of you in your ridiculously coloured wetsuits (not even Cheyen Horan would have worn one of those in the 80's...George Michael maybe.. if it came with fingerless gloves) surfing....that thing.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Ive got to say it.. I refrained in the last post but I cant help it..you used to be curiously amusing Roy but now your just embarrasing and the ol cringe meter is way up over 10 (it only goes to 5)..think of your family mate...if you have kids they will never live this down.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:04 pm

You were right Wooly. We sure need a Roy led recovery here.
At least until after the music comp and Eddie, Merk's Cow's eyeball presentation :wink:

Now, Roy, I felt a bit bad jumping on this Roy bash bandwagon, Until I saw what everyone else was saying in the other forum. Basically only a fool wouldn't. So I don't feel so bad now.

However, to give some credit where credit is due: You have indeed fashioned a fetching piece of furniture. And with all due respect, it is simply a big bit of furniture. A beautiful but pointless bit of furniture nonetheless. and as has been said of surfing itself, pointless and beautiful. Which is not to detract from it's ...anyway ......
Definately though, you've gotta post some vid of it in action.

And, just to remind all you naysayers out there, that Roy's thing, of beauty, won against an inflatable SUP.
I'll say that again, in case you missed it the first time.
It has won your own businesses award against AN INFLATABLE SUP. A pool toy as some wit wrote.

I immediately thought how cool if you could put detachable wheels under it. Like an Olo of the bitumen.
BeeUwwdy!

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:21 am

Quangers wrote:
Still, as a piece of craftmanship it looks great, but how do you get that to flex? The deck looks a lot like parquetry (without being perpendicular), and that only flexes with a really good glue/laminate (albeit over the top of supporting beams)?

Have you given it a stress test yet? As someone who is interested in woodwork I would love to know what type of timber you used as a frame and how it reacts to the stress of floating while being picked up and thrust forward by a wave, with someone standing on/around the middle.
Hello Quangers I've been building flexible boards this way since 1995, and there have been plenty of 'stress tests' in and out of the water.

The flex is mainly determined by the thickness to length ratio of the board. The Olo of the sun is only 2.25" thick so has a ratio of around 1:100 which gives a highly flexible result.

Here's a picture of the internal structure of the Ghost 12 footer.

The entire board is built from paulownia which has a very high strength to weight ratio. The deck and bottom are edge glued planks, and have little in common with parquetry.
Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:24 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:Ive got to say it.. I refrained in the last post but I cant help it..you used to be curiously amusing Roy but now your just embarrasing and the ol cringe meter is way up over 10 (it only goes to 5)..think of your family mate...if you have kids they will never live this down.
Nothing's more embarrassing than your poor spelling and limp attitude combined. . .

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:27 am

huie wrote:hey roy do you like what i done to the spic 8)
Huie I confess to not knowing what you are talking about, but give them hell anyway !

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:05 am

Roy,
I believe what Huie is referring to is about posting the link of the stoush Coque had on Surfermag about Von Sols on Sways.
But I could be totally wrong.
What a tangled web we weave on the interweb. :lol:
Don't mind me butting in Huie...I'm just mucking around on here early waiting for the tide to drop a little.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:09 am

Ah yes, Coque is a nasty little sh*t and needs a good razzing

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:13 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Roy,
I believe what Huie is referring to is about posting the link of the stoush Coque had on Surfermag about Von Sols on Sways.
But I could be totally wrong.
What a tangled web we weave on the interweb. :lol:
Don't mind me butting in Huie...I'm just mucking around on here early waiting for the tide to drop a little.

hey cuttle not at all :) i am dissapointed a few of you erbb dont keep the thread fully exposed
mybe palin will relise that this bloody snake is still listed as a moderator hes still has not woke up about the bloody other dog hicks :roll:
by the way i notice griffin saying at least roy is 100% pure :lol: good wrap roy
not many build the whole process in total no matter what design or construction
but even he uses a machine and farms the glass work out hardly core a lot like the bullshiters on here :wink:

cheers huie

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Huie yes that was nice of GG to say that. The troube with moderators is the same as with politicians, the jobs generally only attract people with psychopathic tendencies.

I thought Hicks had vanished after his embarrassment over the swaylocks world board which he was going to shape ?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Roy_Stewart wrote: I thought Hicks had vanished after his embarrassment over the swaylocks world board which he was going to shape ?
Is he in Gitmo again :?:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:07 pm

congrats roy :D

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks Digger, and to celebrate my 50th birthday which is imminent ( next June :D ) We are offering some great deals on Swaylock's:

8) http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipe ... s-fun.html

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:17 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us