Teahupoo 2012

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Teahupoo 2012

Post by steve shearer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:46 pm

yep.

Both Fanning and Parko rode quads.

hard to understand why it's taken them so long to get with Slaters program.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:22 pm

And CJ was riding an almost exact replica of Slater's board from what I've heard.

Didn't know KS was into epoxy though.....interesting.

I do have to say that that is probably the best I've seen Mick and Parko surf barrels on their backhand. Also interesting to note both natural footers on quads made the final.....is this a sign of things to come!!! :wink:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:57 pm

a ha ha ha ha

youse should have seen that wave before the event began.

Holy Shit.

I think last night must have been 10'.

That was the most pure day of pro surfing I've seen in an elephant's age.

Parko beaten by Jeremy, yeah right. That was the rhythm of the day and the swell. It wasn't a matter of who got two 8s, it was about who got the high nines.

Jeez the webcast just doesn't convey it does it. "Waves grow"...they are quite often below sea level at the outset.

The swell angle was perfect. Paddling into one of those sloped off s angled waves and looking down at the suddenly rising wall ahead, you could just about cry.

Late this arvo was fcuking amazing.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I think last night must have been 10'.
No one will ever really know though Nick.
Nick Carroll wrote:That was the most pure day of pro surfing I've seen in an elephant's age.
Completely agree Nick. Was some damn amazing surfing and heat showdowns with the lead swapping right up to the dieing seconds in most of them. I'm glad I got up at 4am and watched it!!! :P

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:59 am

sadly, yes.

and I will get more today, because the plane does not leave till tomorrow, and everyone else has a hangover.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:27 am

Nick Carroll wrote:sadly, yes.

and I will get more today, because the plane does not leave till tomorrow, and everyone else has a hangover.
Wadda ya mean...sadly? You get scraped on the reef?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 am

not yet.

re sadly, I just suspect a part of ringmaster will not rejoice in the notion of me getting a bunch of good waves in a magical tropical location :lol:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 am

Nick Carroll wrote:not yet.

re sadly, I just suspect a part of ringmaster will not rejoice in the notion of me getting a bunch of good waves in a magical tropical location :lol:
We've been through (many moons ago) the episode of Ringer overcompensating his situation,life,position whatever. He's grown older and wiser now.
So Nick , we are all interested in hearing about what your best wave was like? How "easy" is it out there in a crowd to be in the right position without maximising the probability of getting caught inside by a west death set? How you coped with surfing with any pros? Who everyone hates? What the after party was like? Any other goss?........chicks? Heavy scary psychotic locals? etc etc etc Come on mate before you hop on the plane...there's a lad.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:37 pm

now that's journo. I'd gladly throw some hard-earned into the hat for buffy to go to the next conny.
and me mate braithwaite.
and merkin.
fong.
shearer of course.
and nick to add a modicum of decency.
lucky al too for fun.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:54 pm

steve shearer wrote:yep.

Both Fanning and Parko rode quads.

hard to understand why it's taken them so long to get with Slaters program.
maybe FCS will try and sign Parko because word is that while in Teahupoo Kelly dumped FCS. Sounded pretty radical so checked FCS website and sure enough Kelly no longer on the team list. Bankers will be panicking now

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:[
So Nick , we are all interested in hearing about what your best wave was like? How "easy" is it out there in a crowd to be in the right position without maximising the probability of getting caught inside by a west death set? How you coped with surfing with any pros? Who everyone hates? What the after party was like? Any other goss?........chicks? Heavy scary psychotic locals? etc etc etc Come on mate before you hop on the plane...there's a lad.
Yeah OK.

Best wave a 6' ssw, had a nice roll in off the top of the reef and got squarely barrelled through to the end bowl, no pig dog, just a stand there barrel.

Easy, well Teahupo'o's not the sort of place you get caught inside normally unless you've ridden a wave. It's also not a place which is regularly crowded other than at contest time. Positioning is critical and I mean to the metre. But you need a bit of time at the spot to know which wave to catch. Mostly there's a good etiquette of turn taking and people aren't silly about it. Because if they are the reef will take it out of them.

I find it hard to surf with pros out there while the waiting period is in train because I don't want to fcuk up their practice sessions, they have a lot more on the line than I do, so I don't even enter the rotation, I'm out there to watch and listen and I pick off the shit waves nobody wants, which at one level is very frustrating. Like today and last night was fun because the contest was over, and I didn't give a shit about the pro surfers' needs any more.

I don't think everyone hates anyone but Gabriel sure is racking up a few grudges with his greedy behaviour, he's only a kid so it will blow over.

After party sounded pretty funny, twas at Mick's digs and featured a lot of beer etc, not an urban style party just a bbq, I didn't go 'cause I wanted to surf today, and I did (surf that is).

Girls are you kidding, there aren't any here and anyway I don't give a fcuk about the pro surfers' private lives. And the ones I do give a fcuk about, I'm not gonna talk about 'em here.

Locals, they mostly don't surf Teahupo'o except for Manoa, Raimana etc when it's booming. None of them are heavy or psychotic in any way.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:57 pm

Yeah ringer, I've been coming to Tahiti since 1983, not that fazed by the reefs. Just try to be smart and aware of how quickly things can go wrong.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:32 pm

I did a reply to old buffy on the last page covering it.

Got a few more today, it'd backed down to 4' occ bigger, but nobody around, like literally in the arvo nobody at all. 3-5' low tide Teahupo'o, oil glass by yourself, picture it.

Cruel sse wind set in near dark and sent me in.

My poor inside fin shook loose of the box from the bottom turns and tube trim lines and I paddled back to shore listening to it rattling around, hoping it wouldn't just fall out and sink to the bottom.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Hey Nick, what size boards were the guys riding in the bigger heats?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:54 am

5'11" to 6'2". O rode a 6'4" but he's enormous.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:51 pm

Look mate I don’t care about you or Tahiti or your bald head …grow some balls and go surf some monster waves like your brother.

That way I will respect you…. instead of you respecting me.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:03 am

shut up fatty.
How about this slow mo Teahupoo goodness: http://mpora.com/videos/AAd95ubxzva5
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:51 am

Nick, whilst I find it enthralling to know most of the pros were on 5'11"s to 6'2"s with the exception of one enormous competitor, I am more interested in what you were riding. Anything from the short board quiver you posted pics of a few months back? The carbon tailed quad? Something longer maybe?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?