where to live in sydney

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

moya
regular

where to live in sydney

Post by moya » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:37 pm

From a purely surfing perspective, all others disregarded and
taking into consideration , crowds, consistency, different wind directions, variety, accessibility etc
Where would YOU move to in Sydney?

sandonpoint

Post by sandonpoint » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:31 pm

theres no way i will in sydney, or any other big city. coastal life for me :D
if i was forced to like work commitments or wateva probs avalon or cronulla

"turn the fear of the unknown into the exictement of the potential"

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:32 pm

Long Reef, offshore in a NE wind, and on the otherside protected form a SE wind.

Has 10+ reefs and holds waves as big as Sydney gets. Collaroy for the Mals, the reefs for the advanced surfers, Centuries for the lids, Butterbox prefferably for the Kneeboarders, rocks for the fisherman, Golf course for the golfers, Dog park for the dogs, A bakery, Harware store, Formal hire, A burnt down skate/snow store, Windsurfing store, Wicks down the road, Surf School and a Kiosk as well as a Rivermouth.

Also a boardriders club, Longboarders club and a Clubbie club.

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:36 pm

Longygrom wrote:Long Reef, offshore in a NE wind, and on the otherside protected form a SE wind.

Has 10+ reefs and holds waves as big as Sydney gets. Collaroy for the Mals, the reefs for the advanced surfers, Centuries for the lids, Butterbox prefferably for the Kneeboarders, rocks for the fisherman, Golf course for the golfers, Dog park for the dogs, A bakery, Harware store, Formal hire, A burnt down skate/snow store, Windsurfing store, Wicks down the road, Surf School and a Kiosk as well as a Rivermouth.

Also a boardriders club, Longboarders club and a Clubbie club.

What's / Where's the burntdown skate/snow store ???

chopescahrger
regular

Post by chopescahrger » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:09 am

i would have to say cronulla or bronte/tama becauseit bnreaks good pretty often tonnes better than the norhten beaches F!@# there hopeless

the truth

Post by the truth » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:56 am

chopescahrger wrote:i would have to say cronulla or bronte/tama becauseit bnreaks good pretty often tonnes better than the norhten beaches F!@# there hopeless
hahahaha ... that's the funniest thing i have ever heard ... bronte/tama over the northern beaches!!! hahahaha ... don't get over this way much do you, mate?? probably a good thing anyway ... i suspect you're probably too busy charging tamarama like it's teahupoo ....

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:38 am

there is a train from the coal coast, so live down there and commute. i think it is 45 minute trip in morn to city from stanwell etc. otherwise the eastern suburbs like maroubra are good. easy access to highway south to all sorts of glorious surf such as national park, shell harbour, cronulla, and the mighty ulladulla (amongst many others of course). northern beaches guys seem to get stuck there and think it is the centre of the surfing universe ;), while it can be good (occasionally) it is v.crowded.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:57 am

chopescahrger wrote:i would have to say cronulla or bronte/tama becauseit bnreaks good pretty often tonnes better than the norhten beaches F!@# there hopeless
\

WWWWaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaahhhhaaa... fuggin clueless...

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:15 am

Happy where I am.
Short walk to freshy - offshore in NE easter.
Short walk to Queensie - Manly - likes all sorts of conditions. Offshore in Southerly
Just over the hill to Curly - swell magnet.
And for the groundswells, DY Point, Bower and Winki all within striking distance

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:16 am

My fave Long reef

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:21 am

barstardos wrote:Happy where I am.
Short walk to freshy - offshore in NE easter.
Short walk to Queensie - Manly - likes all sorts of conditions. Offshore in Southerly
Just over the hill to Curly - swell magnet.
And for the groundswells, DY Point, Bower and Winki all within striking distance
spot on buddy, despite the city living crowds i reckon The Northern Beaches is one of the most consistent areas on the NSW coast, i live at Nth Ryde and traverse anywhere between Collaroy and Manly, if there isn't a wave in there then chances are there isn't a wave anywhere...

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:26 am

i am absolutely stoked you lads all stick to the northern beaches. leaves so many more waves for me 8) Moya, i think the northern beaches have it, move there.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:36 am

Clif wrote:i am absolutely stoked you lads all stick to the northern beaches. leaves so many more waves for me 8) Moya, i think the northern beaches have it, move there.
don't be put off the coal coast Moya, there is an abundance of waves there too, problem is I'd have to knock a few teeth out and swear too much if i wanted to fit in down there hehehehe :lol:

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:49 am

all people ugly, all houses run down, shitty beaches, too many bikers, no chicks along coal coast... yeah, go live with wanderer and barstardos - they are obviously getting too many waves as it is
:lol:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:00 am

Clif wrote:all people ugly, all houses run down, shitty beaches, too many bikers, no chicks along coal coast... yeah, go live with wanderer and barstardos - they are obviously getting too many waves as it is
:lol:
hehehehehe :lol:

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:02 am

Avalon or Whale Beach would be first pick, Tamarama/Bronte would be second pick. Completely different and very different reasons for picking one over the other.

Whaley has a more laidback vibe and out of peak summer periods is relatively uncrowded. It has good houses but they cost a bomb. Half of the houses are weekenders so mid week it's quiet in winter etc. However, it's at least an hour to the city so in many senses you may as well be living in a country town where houses are cheaper.

Tama/Bronte is close to the city, so heaps of non-surfing options. Houses are even more expensive than Whaley. Parking is a problem, particularly in summer. The rest of Sydney will think you are a wanker. Good restaurants are nearby, good cafes, the waves can be good, there's heaps of female glamour to perve on...a real city experience.

Gazza

Post by Gazza » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:08 am

Depends what you are looking for. If you want to look good and sip expensive coffee after an exhausting 15 minute surf session filled with hundreds of other yuppies then go North.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:17 pm

What's with you jokers calling everyone who lives up here a yuppie ??

I'm reckoning that 50% of the early gotowork traffic on Barrenjoey Road are builders' utes on the way to the southern and eastern suburbs where the REAL money is.

Then there is about 10% being tree loppers, and another 10% being off duty coppers on their way to bj for a little peace and quiet from you drunken hooligans.

So if you are deadset serious about living up here try renting over at Mackeral and using a tinny to get to the surf both sides of Broken Bay - you won't be the 1st.

get organised willya!

lazzer