The Surf Helmet Discussion

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re: The Surf Helmet Discussion

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Rarked ^^

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Hahaha what a funny thread. Someone is legitamately worried about an injury, but when i point out you're more likely to be injured in your car, than in the surf, its mostly ignored!!. Much more chance of being hurt in your car than the surf, but even though the OP is not worried about being "uncool", won't think about wearing one while in the car :roll:

Little
regular

Post by Little » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:53 pm

I noted that, Beer. There's also an excellent chance of getting smacked in the head while at the pub, so better wear one there, too. Nobody will say anything. And next time it's cloudy, it could easily turn into a hail storm so I'm getting my Garth on while all the other losers only have their brollies for "protection". It'll catch on eventually.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:35 am

Roy always reminds me of the guy who has the mower repair shop with a bic dealership on the road to Crescent there at South Kempsey. The guy rides from his shop to Crescent with a board carrier behind his bike wearing a motorcycle helmet. Then he goes surfing still wearing the helmet and then peddles back.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:47 am

Beanpole wrote:Roy always reminds me of the guy who has the mower repair shop with a bic dealership on the road to Crescent there at South Kempsey. The guy rides from his shop to Crescent with a board carrier behind his bike wearing a motorcycle helmet. Then he goes surfing still wearing the helmet and then peddles back.
Roy does a bit of "peddling" too. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Beanpole wrote:Roy always reminds me of the guy who has the mower repair shop with a bic dealership on the road to Crescent there at South Kempsey. The guy rides from his shop to Crescent with a board carrier behind his bike wearing a motorcycle helmet. Then he goes surfing still wearing the helmet and then peddles back.
if it wasn't s consistent,
he might've forgotten he's wearing it.

HOW THE HECK CAN YOU WEAR A MOTORCYCLE HELMET IN THE WATER that's incredible

'llo-and Behold
regular

Post by 'llo-and Behold » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:26 pm

My two cents worth, ladies. I've been wearing a Gath since my then girlfriend put me onto them almost 20 years ago. Having already had stitches and concussion, I wasn't adverse to a little pre-emptive safety, and I don't care if you think I'm uncool. In a short time I came to feel normal wearing it, and now feel naked on the very odd occasion that I forget to throw it in the car. It has definitely saved further injuries and no doubt sunburn, has kept me in the surf when it gets too cold/rainy/blistering for my mates to handle. BUT it does sweet bugger all, in my opinion, to prevent surfer's ear (my surgeon reckons that could have started before I started wearing a helmet though).

Oh, lets not forget the stitches I scored on the bridge of my nose after face planting into a sandbank at low tide with my Gath on...

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Beerfan wrote:Hahaha what a funny thread. Someone is legitamately worried about an injury, but when i point out you're more likely to be injured in your car, than in the surf, its mostly ignored!!. Much more chance of being hurt in your car than the surf, but even though the OP is not worried about being "uncool", won't think about wearing one while in the car :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4MA0nq2v0A

8)

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:37 pm

Little wrote:
I noted that, Beer. There's also an excellent chance of getting smacked in the head while at the pub, so better wear one there, too.
if the victim is stupid enough to go to a public bar and drink alcohol, and then too stupid to avoid being attacked whilst there, then he's also too stupid to wear a lid and has nothing worth protecting by wearing one.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:44 pm

'llo-and Behold wrote:My two cents worth, ladies. I've been wearing a Gath since my then girlfriend put me onto them almost 20 years ago. Having already had stitches and concussion, I wasn't adverse to a little pre-emptive safety, and I don't care if you think I'm uncool. In a short time I came to feel normal wearing it, and now feel naked on the very odd occasion that I forget to throw it in the car. It has definitely saved further injuries and no doubt sunburn, has kept me in the surf when it gets too cold/rainy/blistering for my mates to handle. BUT it does sweet bugger all, in my opinion, to prevent surfer's ear (my surgeon reckons that could have started before I started wearing a helmet though).

Oh, lets not forget the stitches I scored on the bridge of my nose after face planting into a sandbank at low tide with my Gath on...
Haha same here except that I got the stitches from swimming into the tail of my board.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Bite the bullet Roy....glue a propeller on top of your helmet - you know you want to ! :idea:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:42 pm

daryl wrote:
if it wasn't s consistent,
he might've forgotten he's wearing it.

HOW THE HECK CAN YOU WEAR A MOTORCYCLE HELMET IN THE WATER that's incredible
Yes, its a rare feat. He's been at it for years. Doesn't carve the place apart of course but he must be pretty fit.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

shish
regular

Post by shish » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:04 pm

when I went around Australia a few years back,noticed the Gath's are quite common in the water in SA and WA.

I use one when I go to Indonesia, because the ramfications of a headknock are much higher up there. Never worn one in Aust, though.
yeehaa!

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:06 pm

The only good use for a Gath is to put a camera on it.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:48 pm

kayu wrote:Bite the bullet Roy....glue a propeller on top of your helmet - you know you want to ! :idea:

Years ago I invented a lip proximity sensor consisting of springs with ping pong balls extending out from the lid Atom Ant style... one would feel the lip via the sensors.

As a matter of fact I'm currently seeking funding to develop the product... I have the springs but no ping pong balls.

Regarding the propellor idea an anemometer mounted on the lid could be of some value, but if so I don't know what it might be.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Roy Stewart, you're either blowing my mind to pieces, or taking the piss.

Which is it?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

aqua
Grommet

Post by aqua » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:
kayu wrote:Bite the bullet Roy....glue a propeller on top of your helmet - you know you want to ! :idea:

Years ago I invented a lip proximity sensor consisting of springs with ping pong balls extending out from the lid Atom Ant style... one would feel the lip via the sensors.

As a matter of fact I'm currently seeking funding to develop the product... I have the springs but no ping pong balls.

Regarding the propellor idea an anemometer mounted on the lid could be of some value, but if so I don't know what it might be.

weve all seen footage of you surfing roy. I reckon the best device for you to check where the barrel is would be a telescope.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or a microscope. Try mounting your ping pong balls on the back of your knees, Roy.
Can I pitch in for some R&D?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?