Periphery sharks...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

turtle
barnacle

Re: Periphery sharks...

Post by turtle » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:12 pm

[quote="nu boy"]I've been surfing Maroubra for the last 37 years and I've seen heaps.Last year in a boat out sth point big school of hammer heads crusin the bay.When all the salmon come in in summer sharks f...en every where.Fish of the beach at night and you might never go surfing again,my mate fishes for them all the time and he is rarely disappointed.[/quote]

ive seen more than i remember in boat. but not so many when surfing
signatures, finally got it covered.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:12 pm

nu boy wrote:I've been surfing Maroubra for the last 37 years and I've seen heaps.Last year in a boat out sth point big school of hammer heads crusin the bay.
Maaaaaaaaaate.

If it wasn't on the front page of the Tele, it didn't happen.

Even some of the ones that were on the Tele didn't happen. :shock: :lol:

Never seen one at Maroubra in 18 years there.

Have seen a penguin though, and a pod of dolphins were riding the waves today.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:53 pm

We were in a mates tinny about 100 meters out thats hardly open ocean bozo.And as for the old guy get some glasses.If youse actualy went surfing every day intsead of talking shti you might see these things.But then again some people never gain any ocean knowlage do they :roll: ......

Sveta
Grommet

Post by Sveta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Saw 2 last summer amongst all the Sydney media hype of shark attacks. first at Narrabeen. Big splash and thrash about 30 ft away. I was turning to catch a wave and didn't even bother standing up as did the guy next to me. We both bellied in and on the way i said " did you see that" and all he replied was "It was bloody big. That spooked me for weeks :shock: - but I got iver it. 8)

Second at Dee why. Heaps of dolphins at plenty of fish and then a fin cruising through the water - but it was small. I didn't even freak out and kept surfing 8)

I've been goning to the northern beaches for 30 + years and thats all i've seen

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:11 pm

[quote="nu boy"]We were in a mates tinny about 100 meters out thats hardly open ocean bozo.And as for the old guy get some glasses.If youse actualy went surfing every day intsead of talking shti you might see these things.But then again some people never gain any ocean knowlage do they :roll: ......[/quote]

bit harsh

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:13 pm

[quote="turtle"][quote="nu boy"]We were in a mates tinny about 100 meters out thats hardly open ocean bozo.And as for the old guy get some glasses.If youse actualy went surfing every day intsead of talking shti you might see these things.But then again some people never gain any ocean knowlage do they :roll: ......[/quote]

bit harsh[/quote]

if i ever say the word "youse" around my mum, she still slaps me

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Yeh Turtle Im just stiring stih trying to catch afew forum fish.Its been a slow week I need to stir someone.... :?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:48 am

Never seen one in the surf in my near 40 years and not disappointed.

However, had the tripe scared out of me in the shallows of the stretch between Broken Head and Tallows many moons ago with a fin coming towards me. Cruising parallel with the beach it was, needless to say it was a dolphin but the initial view :shock:

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 am

I was surfing up at Blueys a few weeks ago, and one of my mates almost headbutted one while duckdiving :shock: :lol:

It was only a tiddler ~1.5m? but it made all the little fish try to leave the water en masse, and then as a set came in, it was brilliantly lit in the clear face of the wave - right where matey was ducking his head. When he popped back up on the other side of the wave, he was a touch exciteable :lol:
Why do you ask? It's the internet, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 am

nu boy wrote:We were in a mates tinny about 100 meters out thats hardly open ocean bozo.And as for the old guy get some glasses.If youse actualy went surfing every day intsead of talking shti you might see these things.But then again some people never gain any ocean knowlage do they :roll: ......
100 metres out, in a tinny, at Maroubra. Boy, weren't you scared being so far out to sea? :twisted:

I would go surfing every day, but I'm too busy talking shti! :lol:

Maroubra, you don't even get a vibe that there are sharks there, apart from the grey nurse nursery at south end, and they are harmless.

Any surfer who get scared of hammerheads is a nancy-boy.
nu boy wrote:Yeh Turtle Im just stiring stih trying to catch afew forum fish.Its been a slow week I need to stir someone.... :?
Having any luck?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:11 am

I've seen a four foot shark at long reef straight out from the lagoon entrance, it swam past two longboarders and kept going, skinny fast thing that looked like a mako when I looked it up on the net afterwards. Got a very nice view of it in the swell in front of me.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:49 pm

^^^^^

evolution's gonna be the death of us all I tell ya :!: ... it's only a matter of time before they start flying ... then we're all screwed ... :shock:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:16 pm

merkin wrote:Pfft... you want sharks? :arrow:

http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/20 ... ing-shark/
The North wall at Ballina - isn't that where some unlucky kid was killed by a shark about a year ago :?: