Road trip advice - places to avoid!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

kuba
regular

Re: Road trip advice - places to avoid!

Post by kuba » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:04 pm

smnmntl wrote:
sean-- wrote:
purple pyramids wrote:that **** pie shop covered in the gay rainbow flags at milton. i should have gone to legends like usual.

and anything and everything to do with berry.
The bakery at Berry is usually alright.
The bakery in Berry is excellent

I don't care if it's run by weirdly intense softly-spoken faux-Buddhist treechanging yoga practitioners... their bread, cakes, pastries, pies & coffee are all tops
what about the doughnut caravan in berry?! that place is great. those doughnuts are one of the reasons my road trips always go south rather than north.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:10 pm

kuba wrote:
smnmntl wrote:
sean-- wrote:

I don't care if it's run by weirdly intense softly-spoken faux-Buddhist treechanging yoga practitioners... their bread, cakes, pastries, pies & coffee are all tops
what about the doughnut caravan in berry?! that place is great. those doughnuts are one of the reasons my road trips always go south rather than north.
Yep that bakery is good, but how about the pub with all the shit on the walls? Had a nachos there one time. How do you f*ck up a nachos? Well let me tell you. You dump sweet chilli sauce all over the top. Don't know if they were attempting some Thai/Mex fusion thing, but it got left behind as soon as the beers were finished. In fact we may have hit the doughnut van shortly after. Is it still run by the cranky Asian woman? Or did she just work there?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:14 pm

There's an ice cream and nachos shop in berry that wouldn't recognize a plate of nachos even if you gave them a demo how to.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:17 pm

TheWhiteDuck wrote:The Chinese Restaurant at Crescent Head Country Club is at the top of my list for good food and service.

I have never had a bad experience there - the owner Michael is a personal friend of mine.

I guess Wanderer that it was your good self OR the company that you were in that perhaps lent itself to your bad experience.

Tidy up yourself and stop hanging round with deadbeats and you might receive more pleasant service.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

LOL, sure, there you go folks in pure plain and simple English, the Chinese Restaurant at Crescent Head Country Club is a locals and friends only restaurant - NO BLOW INS WELCOME hahaha. Good to see that instead of taking the issue up with your personal friend and looking out for his concerns you have decided to get defensive as well as offensive towards me and my group.

Plonker... hope Michael appreciates your advertising LOL :lol: :lol:

EDIT: It's also rather interesting to note that none of the things you mentioned effected how we were treated and served at the tavern?? 2 nights in a row! so I'm guessing the issue is with your mates restaurant and its staff rather than me and my group of friends... just a thought.
Last edited by WANDERER on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:24 pm

If this thread is gunna get all serious and positive then Mavis's healthfood shop in the main drag of Lennox needs a mention.
The burgers are solid and healthy.
Coffee snobs would be better going next door to Red Rock for a cup of java.
Mavis has been around for ever and apart from her extreme dislike for sydney metros wearing three quarter length trou shes pretty friendly.
Mention that you hate daylight saving and she'll write you into her will.
While your there go buy a block of wax or pair of boardies from Noel Grahams surfshop (All Above Board).
Oh and NC there's a big difference between caring about things that matter and taking the piss out of things that don't.
I had a great time working with a chef at the Mango Tree restaurant in Noosa.....if someone complained or was just a wanker he would tell to fcuck off.......great times.
I despise sycophantic service in country towns.....to me it's a sign of the increasing homogenisation and BS american influence creeping in.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:40 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:Or maybe remember that you are a surfer and not be such a precious poof...
C'mon Ron, let it out man, don't hold back!

You know, your exhortations to harden the frick up would have had more force if your previous paragraph hadn't included the words gingham, baguettes, danish butter, marinated olives, charcuterie (where's my dictionary!) and pinot gris.

Either that is one fine piece of creative writing or you have supped on the soft side of life a little yourself, methinks! :wink: :lol: :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:05 pm

daryl wrote:The bakery in Braidwood is shit. The diner on the eastern edge out of town is all good.
Braidwood is still there????????????

TheWhiteDuck

Post by TheWhiteDuck » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:16 pm

WANDERER wrote:
TheWhiteDuck wrote:The Chinese Restaurant at Crescent Head Country Club is at the top of my list for good food and service.

I have never had a bad experience there - the owner Michael is a personal friend of mine.

I guess Wanderer that it was your good self OR the company that you were in that perhaps lent itself to your bad experience.

Tidy up yourself and stop hanging round with deadbeats and you might receive more pleasant service.

LOL, sure, there you go folks in pure plain and simple English, the Chinese Restaurant at Crescent Head Country Club is a locals and friends only restaurant - NO BLOW INS WELCOME hahaha. Good to see that instead of taking the issue up with your personal friend and looking out for his concerns you have decided to get defensive as well as offensive towards me and my group.

EDIT: It's also rather interesting to note that none of the things you mentioned effected how we were treated and served at the tavern?? 2 nights in a row! so I'm guessing the issue is with your mates restaurant and its staff rather than me and my group of friends... just a thought.
Ya got good service at The Tavern - cause they thought you were all related to Wazza and he ALWAYS gets good service there
""If theres a bustle in your hedgerow, Dont be alarmed now,
Its just a spring clean for the May Queen.""

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:17 pm

TrevG wrote:
daryl wrote:The bakery in Braidwood is shit. The diner on the eastern edge out of town is all good.
Braidwood is still there????????????
There's someplace you drive through. And the aforementioned roadside burger shop, good feed of bangers and mash, even a good country steak and service provided with a smile. Well, it's actually a very weak look of extreme gratitude that you stoppped. They might be a tad desperate, only have a small clientele of broke teens in general.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:20 pm

smallgoods?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:53 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
daryl wrote:smallgoods?
yes mate, but not including "fritz" that stuff freaks me right out.
Fritz and peanut butter an adelaide mainstay.

Discovery at worrrrk that salami and lettuce go together. I'd say the crunchy green cuts the fat.

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:49 pm

the pie shop on the river at Laurieton has never failed to serve me excellent pies.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:41 pm

TheWhiteDuck wrote:
WANDERER wrote:

Ya got good service at The Tavern - cause they thought you were all related to Wazza and he ALWAYS gets good service there
Thats it?

Pathetic. How those rubber legs? bit wobbly eh?? :roll: :? :roll: :lol:

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:50 pm

Karlos wrote:
TrevG wrote:
dinosaur wrote:
What the fucck is fritz ?

Well, Duh!
It's Pariser :idea:
:mrgreen:
I've got this sinking feeling that we call it 'devon'.
"Devon" is but a pale imitation of the squashed possum + hog anus packed goodness that we south aussies know as Fritz.

TheWhiteDuck

Post by TheWhiteDuck » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:07 pm

WANDERER wrote:
Thats it?

Pathetic. How those rubber legs? bit wobbly eh?? :roll: :? :roll: :lol:
Actually, come to think of it - was it Friday night you were at the Chinese??

Cause my friends and I were there Friday night and had no problem with service - were you those guys in the corner out the back ??

You may have noticed me - I was the one with the girlfriend looks like Paris Hilton.
""If theres a bustle in your hedgerow, Dont be alarmed now,
Its just a spring clean for the May Queen.""

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm

smnmntl wrote:
sean-- wrote:
purple pyramids wrote:that **** pie shop covered in the gay rainbow flags at milton. i should have gone to legends like usual.

and anything and everything to do with berry.

Berry is a great place to stop off for a bite. Good little town. Also have to shout out Haydens Pies in Ulladulla. Some of the best pastries ive eaten. Also, last weekend there was a little bakery in East Lynne further south that had good pies, sausage rolls and apple pies. Excellent service! He gave us suggestions and smiled and didnt give us the your-from-outta-town look. Check it out if you are down that way.

Ok, name and shame.
The Italian Restaurant in Huskisson. Dont go there! The service is some of the worst ever experienced. They took ages to come around and serve us and didnt wipe down our table before hand. The food took ages and the pasta was all watery and bland. The "garlic bread" was just a pizza with fcuking cheese and garlic on it. And the price was through the roof and ambience was uncomfortable. They had kids working the whole joint. They, i asume, just heated whatever food up for the night and served it. They didnt bother with their place, so you shouldnt bother going there.
Last edited by Kunji on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 pm

dUg wrote:"Devon" is but a pale imitation of the squashed possum + hog anus packed goodness that we south aussies know as Fritz.
Oh I love Fritz, and Fruit Chocs and Paley's and all that stuff which is so hard to find in Sydney :(

I would do anything for some fruit chocs now!

kuba
regular

Post by kuba » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 pm

SAsurfa wrote:
dUg wrote:"Devon" is but a pale imitation of the squashed possum + hog anus packed goodness that we south aussies know as Fritz.
Oh I love Fritz, and Fruit Chocs and Paley's and all that stuff which is so hard to find in Sydney :(

I would do anything for some fruit chocs now!
anything?