kurungabaa v3

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

kurungabaa v3

Post by marcus » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:59 pm

Kurungabaa issue 1 v 3 arrived in the letterbox (twice, thanks Mr reef, not sure if that was a mistake) and looks a good read.
I had a read of the cape solander story by Stu Nettle.
I liked the read, as it showed the perspective of the colonisation and how close this spot was to capt cooks origional colonisation.
Rick Shapters story was an interesting part to the story too.
There are however a few things i kinda dissagree on Stu.
the article hints that Shark Island is not regulated... well it certainly isnt as much as it used to be.
With Nugget and Percy living in WA, it seems its up to Rissole, warren and ballard to regulate the line up.
It used to be a bloody hard place to get a wave, you would be fighting for scraps and then possibly dropped in on or your flippers held by other riders as you tried to take off.
Im not sure how long you have been riding the island, but it was previously very regulated, i have been in fights as a grom, and have since sent many groms in, even sent a tow team in on a day last year.

These days i think you will find that as shortboarding has advanced to heavier waves, more shortboarders are trying to call places like the island theyre home.
Many of these guys are really from the alley and beach breaks, many have been surfing there less than 10 years.

Still, space is made in the lineup and people get a chance if they wait long enough. waste a wave by dogging it and you wont get another one for a long while.

You made a good point about how bodyboarders and surfers get allong in cronulla, that is something i think we should be proud of, that respect is not necessarilly related to surfcraft, but experience.

I think there are some questions that the bra boys dont want to answer, because they know theyre arguments dont hold water. but we have been there before so its not worth talking about that trash again.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Re: kurungabaa v3

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Cheers Marcus!

Remember that story is about Solander so if I say the Island isn't regulated I mean in relation to the over-regulation at the cape. But as it is I think the current generation of lids really should regulate the Island more. Not to the extent that the Bra Boys do at Solander but words need to be spoken when people f*ck-up at the Island. I don't surf it that much but when I do I see a lot of crew that just shouldn't be out there.

It's a tough call though. One thing however, I'd rather surf in a pack that is friendly and hollering with the odd gumby out, then a frightfully-serious, testosterone-fuelled wank-fest.

PS: Two copies? You must've got Larry's.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Apologies have to go to Jon Frank for the way his photos came out in this issue. Things went awry in the printing process and the quality of the photos is sub-par.

Franky was very generous letting us use those shots, and I know one of them is his favourite. It's a shame they didn't come out better.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:40 pm

Stu, if you dont mind i will send it to my freind Eko at G land.
He will pass it around there.
I think he would enjoy that almost as much as the penthouse mag i gave him.
he lives there all year round guarding the empty camp.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:44 pm

He he...not at all Marcus.

Tell Eko to use it however he sees fit.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Yeh well,
I got me regular home tube. Who needs another for ideolgical onanism?

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:56 am

2nd Reef wrote:Apologies have to go to Jon Frank for the way his photos came out in this issue. Things went awry in the printing process and the quality of the photos is sub-par.

Franky was very generous letting us use those shots, and I know one of them is his favourite. It's a shame they didn't come out better.
How so? I thought the desaturated look was quite good actually. To be honest I would not have known there was a problem if you had not of raised it.

Cover shot from Jon is very good.

Great to see Russian surfing making an appearance. A lot of amazing breaks between Vladivostok and Kamchatka.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:27 am

Not a bad read but I'm sure some articles were edited for the sake of brevity and "on topic".

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:53 pm

LONGINUS wrote:
2nd Reef wrote:Apologies have to go to Jon Frank for the way his photos came out in this issue. Things went awry in the printing process and the quality of the photos is sub-par.

How so? I thought the desaturated look was quite good actually. To be honest I would not have known there was a problem if you had not of raised it.

Cover shot from Jon is very good.

Great to see Russian surfing making an appearance. A lot of amazing breaks between Vladivostok and Kamchatka.
Yeah, the cover shot is great. No problems with that at all. But the shots inside really don't compare to the originals unfortunately.

How good were those stories by the Russian surfers? Would like to visit them one day. How much do you know about coastline over that way Longinus?

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:13 pm

A lot personally on the Vladivostok area but north of that towards Kamchatka its all second hand knowledge I am afraid. We had a couple of good surfers from the area help with building the russian area of our site though. Valeri Gordeichuk who wrote one of your arcticles is definetly the man on the ground and the go to guy for surfing in the area. He gave us a couple of amazing pictures as well for Schitovaya Bukhta (means shield Bay): http://www.surfingatlas.com/spot/2605.

Another of the surfers has since said that pollution has now closed a lot of Russias beaches in the Vladivostok area which is appauling. A new surfing destination snuffed out before it even began...
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

dingoshred
regular

Post by dingoshred » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Clif or anyone can I buy a copy.....would like to read the story on Ours (:p no reason for using for calling it that hey?)....

dingoshred
regular

Post by dingoshred » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:27 pm

marcus wrote: I think there are some questions that the bra boys dont want to answer, because they know theyre arguments dont hold water. but we have been there before so its not worth talking about that trash again.
Thats a matter of perspective. That is an assertion without an arguement....who is guilty of not having an argument now?

Again, i love how certain members love to get stuck into the boys at every chance, hiding behind their keyboard.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:35 am

pm me dingo. You back in Maroubra again?

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:58 am

dingoshred wrote:Again, i love how certain members love to get stuck into the boys at every chance, hiding behind their keyboard.
Maybe people wouldn't be afraid to come out from behind their keyboard if THE BOYS didn't have a history for using fists instead of words. Dingo you must be the inter evolutionary step between THE BOYS and normal intelligent humans who are capable of using logic and reason to argue a point, instead of just "smashing a cnut".

Oh and Dingo next time you see them say hi to THE BOYS for me.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:18 pm

I haven't received my copy yet. Was every copy sent out in one go or staggered?
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

dingoshred
regular

Post by dingoshred » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:35 am

Clif wrote:pm me dingo. You back in Maroubra again?
Did I leave??? Or do you mean just my quick road trip over chrissie (I didn't think I actually mentioned it on here)?
I'm still living here, surfing here, eating here, drinking here and now working here............

dingoshred
regular

Post by dingoshred » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:44 am

TMC wrote:
dingoshred wrote:Again, i love how certain members love to get stuck into the boys at every chance, hiding behind their keyboard.
Maybe people wouldn't be afraid to come out from behind their keyboard if THE BOYS didn't have a history for using fists instead of words. Dingo you must be the inter evolutionary step between THE BOYS and normal intelligent humans who are capable of using logic and reason to argue a point, instead of just "smashing a cnut".

Oh and Dingo next time you see them say hi to THE BOYS for me.
If that is meant to be some backhanded remark against me....it didn't really work.

All this violence doesn't solve anything is a pacifist crock. Violence has its place in many circumstances.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:29 am

just like 6 guys in a car running down a local kid at suck rock eh..