Rick Cameron - Mentawai : being deported ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Ken Oath
Grommet

Rick Cameron - Mentawai : being deported ?

Post by Ken Oath » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:31 am

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:05 am

Code: Select all

Cameron is allegedly involved in a bankruptcy case in his home country that has seen the Australian government seize A$1 million of his assets. 
source please?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:53 am

dUg wrote:

Cameron is allegedly involved in a bankruptcy case in his home country that has seen the Australian government seize A$1 million of his assets. 
source please?

Gotta go before Priddy sees this. :roll: :D

hippy

Surf industry scum bag

Post by hippy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 pm

This guy deserves nothing but what he has given to many innocent people who have spoken up against his many criminal actions. Jail! One of the surfing industries greediest and ruthless pioneers!

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:52 pm

daly and cameron, have been acting like 5yr old kids fighting over a lollie since surf charters started in the ments...total KOOKS. much to the detriment of the local people. they really are twits(who have made a shitload of money).you really should check the slanging match going on in that thread. its pathetic....makes me sick... lets face it they arent even surfers

Ken Oath
Grommet

ments

Post by Ken Oath » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:39 am

guard wrote:^ Sure you're not mixing him up with Martin Daly?
I dont know him well and i dissagree with a few things he says but
Rick seems to have done a lot more for the mentawai people than many others.
Aswell as a lot for aceh people.

Heres an old thread that is still running. Perhaps he will post on there about this.
http://globalsurfers.ning.com/forum/top ... mment14975

What you been up to Ken? Havent seen a post of yours in a while.
hi mate, i've been working in Sydney doing 4 week swings on offshore vessels and about to head back to Indo for my month off......
just stumbled on this in the Jkt post so thought id'e throw in some bait to see what bites :wink:
I think Rick will find a way out of this......
I dealt with both of them doing tsunami responce work and could tell you some stories, but i won't.
The politics of Padang, greed is a bad thing...i'm happy to be a tourist again over there, it's makes the place much more enjoyable
Last edited by Ken Oath on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Oath
Grommet

Post by Ken Oath » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:45 am

dUg wrote:

source please?
Ummm, the Jakarta Post

mentawaifusion
regular

Character assassination .... so what is new

Post by mentawaifusion » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:35 pm

The people behind the attempt on my life Saturday night went to the trouble to set up a foreign investment company in Bali. They hired a contractor and made him the CEO. He has been in Padang for months working on my removal. He spread all kinds of fantastic fabrications around town designed to discredit me and the company I work for. He is now in jail.

hippy

Re: Character assassination .... so what is new

Post by hippy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:55 pm

mentawaifusion wrote:The people behind the attempt on my life Saturday night went to the trouble to set up a foreign investment company in Bali. They hired a contractor and made him the CEO. He has been in Padang for months working on my removal. He spread all kinds of fantastic fabrications around town designed to discredit me and the company I work for. He is now in jail.

:idea: As my grandmother use to say in the garden "You reap what you sow" :shock:

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:26 am

My Grandmother had the biggest personnal veggie garden in Jamberoo.

From Caullie's, Carrots, Broccolli, Passionfuit n Cabbage... The best I have ever seen.......

Teddy Massive would be proud....

I have never ever even come close to replecating that vege garden....

No possums there...

Old School Gold

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

M

shish
regular

Post by shish » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:53 pm

I cant understand why people who are fortunate enough to live in such an amazing place, get so bitter and twisted with each other. Boat operators dont get along with each other, Boat operators dont get along with resort operators etc. Surely its in everyones best interests to work together to achieve outcomes, otherwise someone (ie Indo Govt) is going to come in and do it for you. Look at the Kavieng area in PNG, you dont see them at each others throats. They manage the area in the best interests of everyone, in particular the locals. works well for visiting surfers as well.
yeehaa!

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:09 pm

well from experience a fair percentage of them are complete wankers in it for selfish reasons - more so the yanks. go into paradise a wanker, come out of paradise a wanker.

mentawaifusion
regular

And you call your self "Wanto"

Post by mentawaifusion » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:41 pm

wanto wrote:well from experience a fair percentage of them are complete wankers in it for selfish reasons - more so the yanks. go into paradise a wanker, come out of paradise a wanker.
Do you ever get out there or are you too busy putting down people who have the balls to go out and build boats and surf camps.

Business is competitive bro. Try it sometime.
Last edited by mentawaifusion on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:13 pm

well, i must have been close to the mark mate or you wouldn't have taken my impersonal comment personally.

yeah i've been over there a few times mate, travelled with and met some great people there for the love of it and nothing more. of these john macgroder and steve pascoe would be good examples.

i've also met some complete tools for example one of the co-owners of the kandui resort who i never bothered to look up but he certainly left a sour impression.

never met you rick so i can only judge you on what you've posted so far - not the best impression either.

all the best with your paperwork.

hippy

Re: And you call your self "Wanto"

Post by hippy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:20 pm

"Business is competitive bro". Try it sometime. Tell us about what you have built or made or your great achievements so far in life.... Lets hear it...."

Ok Mr Cameron why don't you put your money where your mouth is instead of putting up mirrors.. Tell us about yourself!

Surfing is not business, surfing is not competitive, surfing is a gift, an avenue that connects human once again to his/her eternal ROOTZ with mother nature. Think sustainability and harmony

Buying/leasing tribal land for pennies to build your cashcamps is a disgrace, stomping on the peaceful wandering surfer a crime, just as bribery is. Oh you think the net is just for nerds, welcome to your reality check... Web2.0 has found you!

:twisted:

Ken Oath
Grommet

Rick

Post by Ken Oath » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Looks like we have a bite :lol:

Yeah Steve Pascoe is a legend, PNG sounds like a good place to be but don't tell Rick, he'll be on it in a flash......

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:10 pm

^^^ plenty of us working on places like PNG already ken including me... im about 4 to 5 yrs away from getting it over the line, but getting there. the mistakes of the operators in indo are eye opening to say the least...But that being said the guy operating up in PNG i think his name is andy digby, seems to have a soft but similar approach as he has various "deals" going on with the local authorities ... main issue up there is it just aint got too much swell....i check the chart daily...Not saying he isnt paying taxes , but he definitely is trying to corner the market in a suss way....

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:54 pm

I’m sure Danny, who pioneered that area in the early years would be absolutely horrified at what it’s become.
I’m sure he would have wanted it to have remained a secret to all but the most intrepid and adventurous of surfers.

Nowadays as long as there is air conditioned boats/surf camps with milk and cookies for beddy beds any office working cluster f-ck can buy themselves into surfing perfect waves.

You(white guy) find yourself an idyllic surfing paradise.
You then get the locals to build you a surf camp for a bowl of rice.
Then you heavily market it around the world to anyone with job that can balance on a surfboard.

The locals see how much money these new travelers have got.
The locals then see how much money can be made.
The locals then go mental
The locals start making money
The authorities then eliminate the locals
The original surf camp developers get deported.
The authorities are happy.

…the cycle is complete...third world style :D