What time of year steamer gives way to springie?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

fizmeister

What time of year steamer gives way to springie?

Post by fizmeister » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:21 am

I dont own either. Hence I dont get out much.

But looking to jump in a bit more often now.

Will I be all good with a springie around the central coast and sydney? Or still too cold?

Toby Wan
regular

Post by Toby Wan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:18 am

i went out in boardies about 2-3 weeks ago - long story and probably can't have kids anymore :oops: :lol:

was a super warm day though and was bareable for about an hour..

the water is still pretty frigid, but you can get by on a springy on a warmer day i reckon..

i'll be back in the steamer when we actually get some fkn waves though, only cause i don't own a springy..

water will warm up to boardies warmth around late november/december..

edit: thats sydney btw

fizmeister

Post by fizmeister » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:23 am

thanks toby

due to melanoma issues i want something i can wear most of the year. i find boardies uncomfortable. but then so is a full length steamer.

i see a lot of guys surfing in summer now in springies.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:42 am

How do you guys survive the 35 degree days in steamers?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:34 pm

^^^

Do it all the time but the water is a lot colder down here so it makes it bearable.

I burn really easily though so I wear it out of necessity

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:35 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

brownhornet
Grommet

Post by brownhornet » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Not sure why so many think they're hard because they go out without a wetty. On North Coast at moment with NE swell the water is frigin cold. Stuffed if I'm sitting on a board with 16 degree water in NE swell dribble throughout summer. At least wear a springy and the 1ft Spring swells seem bearable.

Water is definitely colder up here through till April when it warms up again. Lets face it you hardly sit on on a 35 degree day sweltering in a 2mm springy.

How many testicle less guys are in these forums that need to whine about uncomfortable in steamers and boardies too long and springies not flexible enough. Jeez just give it a rest.

Oh and the forums are dieing a slow death! Poor dude in G-Land and go Slat! Covers it all

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Had my first surf in springy a couple of weeks ago. Timed it with a freshly shaved head so was pretty chilly. Kinda fun with a fish in boardies/springy with no leggy with the waves we've been having( or at least not having)! Makes the 1-2ft monotony seem more bearable. Roll on 20+ degree water temps :!:

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:16 pm

ps I'm in Sydney not NZ.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Mine went away a couple of weeks ago, but came back out the closet this weekend for a dawning

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:26 pm

as soon as the water hits 18 degrees and the suns out thats it. :wink:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:54 pm

about 10 days ago, in boardies and vest now but last year the steamer got used a bit in November when the water was freezing, colder than this winter...I love surfing without a wettie, especially the first few times as it warms up, so freeing and it just seems easy and lighter....

schnorky
regular

Post by schnorky » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:05 pm

The OLDER u get
The Colder u get.

Mine will be with be till about mid nov..

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:22 pm

fizmeister
you have asked two very good questions lately which i will provide you with the answers.

1. What time of year steamer gives way to springie?
2. How olds too old to bodyboard?

If you go to your local branch of the SLSA and ask them for a surfing timetable it will provide you with all the information you need.
it is divided into columns and rows that show the days that will have blue bottles, days where it is necessary to wear a steamer and times of the day when old farts ride bodyboards and waimea guns (usually about 11am weekdays)
be sure to highlight the times that apply to you so that you dont have the local SLSA representitives coming out to get you for surfing in a blue zone with a springy on... (a blue zone is a blue bottle and steamer only time)
and trust me, they dont like having to get up from the BBQ and going out in the wooden boat just to rescue you.
stay safe
Marcus

ps, i nearly forgot, i have my surfing timetable laminated and a hole punched in it so i can have it attached to my leg rope safety strap.
or you can leave it in your locker which costs extra.

fizmeister

Post by fizmeister » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:21 pm

marcus wrote:fizmeister
you have asked two very good questions lately which i will provide you with the answers.

1. What time of year steamer gives way to springie?
2. How olds too old to bodyboard?

If you go to your local branch of the SLSA and ask them for a surfing timetable it will provide you with all the information you need.
oh cool, is there a column with info on how to deal with leetist keyboard warrior surfers ;-P

:roll:

vb
Local

Post by vb » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Fiz,
My steamer's gonna stay on all summer (Billabong Foil/best I've ever owned). Mostly bodysurf now and am prepared to cop the grins from the sluggo parade even on those 35 degree days. Blueys, melanomas, shoulder bounces off sandbars and not having a dick long enough to show off all have something to do with it, but maily I HATE the beach and want to immerse myself for an hour plus (which is probably 45 mins longer than your average dipper). Springies ... a waste of time

fizmeister

Post by fizmeister » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:14 pm

thanks vb, im with you on most of what you said.

so steamer it is and boardies should that hot day arise. i suffer badly from skin growths.

so 3/2? thats prob the best all round isnt it?

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:37 pm

I was wearing my new springy on the weekend at Hat Head and it was fine, kept the wind off. Also the Rip Curl classic has a key zip. 8) I am easily impressed.