This'll challenge all you macho he-men

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:56 pm

Profile - Peter Drouyn

Profile:

Peter Drouyn
Date of Birth:

30 June 1949
Place of Birth:

Gold Coast
Inducted:

20 November 1999

Even before the establishment of the World Professional Surfing Circuit the Gold Coast had a World Champion. Peter Drouyn secured the World number one ranking in 1970 with the most consistent performance over a number of international class contests.

His most significant victory was in the Makaha Hawaiian Surf Championship. He also placed second in the Duke Kahanamoku Hawaiian Surf Contest and fourth in the Smirnoff Hawaiian Pro-Am. Back home in Australia he was favourite to take out the World Surfing Titles (a one off contest) at Bells Beach but a broken surfboard cost him victory. He was forced to use a smaller board which resulted in him placing third. At the time the ratings were decided by a poll of a leading international panel of surfing experts. Peter was unanimously voted the world number one.

It was just five years earlier in 1965, Peter headed to Manly to compete in his first Australian Junior Championship. To New South Wales competitors it was unthinkable that a Queenslander might succeed. In an act of thuggery he was assaulted the night before the contest receiving cuts requiring stitching, and bruises all over his body, but that wasn't going to stop him from competing. He visited a number of doctors and finally received a medical clearance in time to enter and win his first junior championship. He backed up the following year with a second junior crown. Peter Drouyn led the charge for future Queenslanders attempting to overcome the New South Wales dominance of Australian surfing.

His debut in the open ranks proved successful when he placed second in the National Championship in 1967. But in 1969 controversy raised its ugly head at the National Championship when Peter and former world champion Nat Young ended their rounds on the same points. This meant a grand final of the top six had to be surfed off to decide a winner. Peter won convincingly, but amazingly the title was given to Nat Young after predominantly southern officials said Young had surfed more consistently in earlier rounds!

He won the Australian Open Surfing title in 1970 and his world number one ranking that year led him to being named Gold Coast Sportsman of the Year and the Walter Lindrum Queensland Sportsman of the Year.

Peter placed second in the Australian Open Championship in 1971 and in the following year pursued his acting career after being accepted into the National Institute of Dramatic Art in Sydney. This later led to him playing a lead role in the movie "The Odd Angry Shot" and he went on to make many surfing movies including his own self titled picture "Drouyn the Movie". In a bid to help promote the movie Peter became the first and only high profile surfer to star in Cleo magazine as a centrefold.

In 1977 the Inaugural World Professional Surfing Circuit was launched at the Stubbies Classic at Burleigh Heads which was founded by Peter. It was at this contest that he created the new judging format known as 'Man on Man' surfing, used to decide today's champions on the World Championship Tour.

In 1985 Peter introduced surfing to the Peoples Republic of China.

Peter is still actively surfing - you will catch him most mornings at Main Beach in front of his Southport Lifesaving Club. His surfing is as graceful as ever - time has not dulled his competitive spirit.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:34 am

Could the moderators please delete this thread?.

I find it highly offensive.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:48 am

kreepykrawly wrote:Could the moderators please delete this thread?.

I find it highly offensive.
I find you highly offensive.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:05 am

Well, after watching the story on TT last night I just felt a bit, weird. I mean, good luck to him and all, but it's a little hard to get your head around. Especially as he reckons he hasn't had any hormone therapy so farr...

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:30 am

Sick shot of Drouyn

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:43 am

dinosaur wrote:another sick shot of drouyn

I'm tipping you're slightly titillated and turned on by all of this dinosaur.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:44 am

rightbrainpositive wrote:Sick shot of Drouyn

epic! circa?

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:50 am

RickyG wrote:Well, after watching the story on TT last night I just felt a bit, weird. I mean, good luck to him and all, but it's a little hard to get your head around. Especially as he reckons he hasn't had any hormone therapy so farr...
Good on ya Ricky saying "good luck to him and all" I mean it's really not all that important is it?

Most people are pretty weird .... I mean look at Kreepy with all his pent up frustrastion and angst.......what the fcuk's happening there with the acceptance craving etc?

He'll probably be leaving his wife for another man soon. But we'll all say "good on you KK ..... you gotta do what you gotta do".

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:53 am

Yet again my concept of what constitutes a mid life crisis gets a shake up :roll:

Could the draining of male hormones be a result of getting old rather than turning into a woman?

Nah obviously not.

I would have thought a boob job and a face lift would have been money better spent rather than a nip and tuck.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:06 am

dinosaur wrote:i'm tipping your titillated and turned on by this Buff Brad.

Sure the La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona is well worth a visit. Oh you mean the guy with the tight blue jean shorts up his crack. :shock: What hell have you got on that hard-drive of yours Dino? I hate to think. 8) Oh well they say around 10% and that doesn't include the ones in denial....."cough cough" hi KK.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:31 pm

dinosaur wrote:another sick shot of drouyn

Can I just say that what we saw on TV last night bore little resemblance to this pic. Add about 20 yrs and lots of wrinkles and you're getting close (bit of a photoshop job on this perhaps? he looks about 35 and not too bad!)

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:33 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:
RickyG wrote:Well, after watching the story on TT last night I just felt a bit, weird. I mean, good luck to him and all, but it's a little hard to get your head around. Especially as he reckons he hasn't had any hormone therapy so farr...
Good on ya Ricky saying "good luck to him and all" I mean it's really not all that important is it?
You're being sarcastic, aren't you Bradley?

vb
Local

Post by vb » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Wands,
according to surfsearch, the pic of PD is Haleiwa, 1967. Another pic on that site shows him to be a hairy little bugger ....

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:02 pm

Beanpole wrote:Profile - Peter Drouyn

Peter placed second in the Australian Open Championship in 1971 and in the following year pursued his acting career after being accepted into the National Institute of Dramatic Art in Sydney. This later led to him playing a lead role in the movie "The Odd Angry Shot" and he went on to make many surfing movies including his own self titled picture "Drouyn the Movie".
I also read that bio on a website but I doubt its veracity. If you check out "The Odd Angry Shot" on "www.imdb.com" you will find no mention of Peter Drouyn. In fact, on the entire www.imdb.com website Drouyn is barely mentioned. Same for other movie-related websites.

I am willing to change my opinion if someone can prove what role Drouyn played in "TOAS" (or any other non-surf movies for that matter) and when he appears.

IMHO Drouyn was a great surfer but his alleged acting prowess is grossly exaggerated.

Yes Rick Vidal - soon he will no longer be firing any odd angry shots, not even blanks :D

Agree with you too RickyG about that photo, it's a massive photoshop fraud, nothing like what jumped out at me from the TV screen last night. :shock:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Beanpole wrote:Profile - Peter Drouyn

Profile:

Peter Drouyn
Date of Birth:

30 June 1949
Place of Birth:

Gold Coast
Inducted:

20 November 1999

Even before the establishment of the World Professional Surfing Circuit the Gold Coast had a World Champion. Peter Drouyn secured the World number one ranking in 1970 with the most consistent performance over a number of international class contests.

His most significant victory was in the Makaha Hawaiian Surf Championship. He also placed second in the Duke Kahanamoku Hawaiian Surf Contest and fourth in the Smirnoff Hawaiian Pro-Am. Back home in Australia he was favourite to take out the World Surfing Titles (a one off contest) at Bells Beach but a broken surfboard cost him victory. He was forced to use a smaller board which resulted in him placing third. At the time the ratings were decided by a poll of a leading international panel of surfing experts. Peter was unanimously voted the world number one.

It was just five years earlier in 1965, Peter headed to Manly to compete in his first Australian Junior Championship. To New South Wales competitors it was unthinkable that a Queenslander might succeed. In an act of thuggery he was assaulted the night before the contest receiving cuts requiring stitching, and bruises all over his body, but that wasn't going to stop him from competing. He visited a number of doctors and finally received a medical clearance in time to enter and win his first junior championship. He backed up the following year with a second junior crown. Peter Drouyn led the charge for future Queenslanders attempting to overcome the New South Wales dominance of Australian surfing.

His debut in the open ranks proved successful when he placed second in the National Championship in 1967. But in 1969 controversy raised its ugly head at the National Championship when Peter and former world champion Nat Young ended their rounds on the same points. This meant a grand final of the top six had to be surfed off to decide a winner. Peter won convincingly, but amazingly the title was given to Nat Young after predominantly southern officials said Young had surfed more consistently in earlier rounds!

He won the Australian Open Surfing title in 1970 and his world number one ranking that year led him to being named Gold Coast Sportsman of the Year and the Walter Lindrum Queensland Sportsman of the Year.

Peter placed second in the Australian Open Championship in 1971 and in the following year pursued his acting career after being accepted into the National Institute of Dramatic Art in Sydney. This later led to him playing a lead role in the movie "The Odd Angry Shot" and he went on to make many surfing movies including his own self titled picture "Drouyn the Movie". In a bid to help promote the movie Peter became the first and only high profile surfer to star in Cleo magazine as a centrefold.

In 1977 the Inaugural World Professional Surfing Circuit was launched at the Stubbies Classic at Burleigh Heads which was founded by Peter. It was at this contest that he created the new judging format known as 'Man on Man' surfing, used to decide today's champions on the World Championship Tour.

In 1985 Peter introduced surfing to the Peoples Republic of China.

Peter is still actively surfing - you will catch him most mornings at Main Beach in front of his Southport Lifesaving Club. His surfing is as graceful as ever - time has not dulled his competitive spirit.
Look I don't want to diss Drouyn here, underneath the mild disbelief I really wish Westerly all the best. But the above account -- like a few things that are on the record about Peter -- contains a few slips.

There was no jury-voted number one world ranking in 1970. There was just the world contest in western Vicco. It was won by Rolf Aurness; Rolf is generally accepted as the world champion that year. There's something a bit wrong about trying to claim a title someone else won.

The world pro tour's inaugural year was 1976, not 1977; the world champ in 76 was Peter Townend.

Peter did not play a leading role in "The Odd Angry Shot". He did not make "Drouyn and Friends", though he was the star; the movie was made and funded by Bob Evans.

Today Tonight is incredible hey. There's a special place in Hell for the producers of that show.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:05 pm

RickyG wrote:
Buff_Brad wrote:
You're being sarcastic, aren't you Bradley?
Not at all Ricky. Not one bit mate. As if what Drouyn has done hasn't been done before........it's just the conservative ugly element of surfing feeling "outraged". Wake up to yourself fellas..........it's colourful!!! And slightly amusing I guess......good on him.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:21 pm

dinosaur wrote:I bet chris garrett's stoked.
Fair to say Dinosaur your a complete dickhead, but that quote was funny.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:32 pm

silvafish wrote:just spoke to garrett..his stoked! reckons westerlys very fit and surfing heaps and theres talk of the westerly model for all the folks that wanna bust out..that board in the pic was given to westy via pete harris at the fundraiser for the burleigh surfing museum.
if you heard the speach old westerly gave about the way the surf was in the sixtys....pure gold...his still a good person no matter what he wears
Nice one Silva. I reckon your spot on here. Peter has given a lot to surfing, period. The fact remains, he hasnt hurt anyone I know of by doing this and if it makes him feel good, it doesnt bother me and it shouldnt bother anyone else. He is a human being and deserves a bit of respect. It wouldnt be easy to come out like this, not something you do if you dont feel it necessary. Great to hear Garrett is ok with the association too. Intolerance is something we can all do without. Would like to see some of the crew here tell Ian Roberts he is a raving poof to his face, same deal as before BB, KK, DS.