Northern beaches rock jumps

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Never done the blowhole one doodles but i know a guy who fucked (fractured or something) his sternum jumping off it.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:03 am

there is a sic one up the Hawkesbury, near Berowra Waters. I estimated it to be about 14 metres, or about 46 feet jumping once was enough!!

Toby Wan
regular

Post by Toby Wan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:57 am

Revolution wrote:Never done the blowhole one doodles but i know a guy who **** (fractured or something) his sternum jumping off it.
had the unfortunate luck of following an ambo from wazza car park to the hospital - turns out a kid died doing the blowhole with a bunch of his mates..

think he got trapped in the tunnel or something..

wouldn't be doing it with someone who hasn't done it a few times.. and i don't personally know anyone who's done it that much..

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:00 am

When I was young, my grandfather showed me a sopt near Watsons bay , on the harbour side though (not the Gap!).

It's pretty big, alittle higher than Warriewood, you walk from Camp Cove all of the way past Lady Jane, where you can stop to get oiled up if you are thatw ay inclined. Just past Lady jane , near the old green cannon, you jump over the fence and there you are.

Warning though: it is a two step then jump, and if you don't go far enough you'll hit rock, and if you go too far you also hit rock...and learning from my mistake, don't hit it at low tide!

Theres also some pretty hairy ones in Lane Cove National Park, but you haven't a clue whats under the water there !

AndyTheMan
Grommet

Post by AndyTheMan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:03 am

Do you guys remember that fella that jumped off the rocks on the Central Coast and broke his back..... poor bastard ended up a vegetable....

Thinkg that got me was that he SUED WYONG COUNCIL becaue they didn't have signs up warning that it was dangerous to jump off 50 foot rocks into the water.......

and he WON.....

I mean, pretty sad he's in a wheelchaior and all, but how could he posisble say it was someone elses fault ???!!

DF

Post by DF » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:31 am

Close to the concrete? F**king dumb...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UwKXv0X ... re=related

Gotta love slow motion, 'oh my god'.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:58 am

RIP "The Boatshed"...
A fun flat day alternative somewhere in the Sutherland Shire

In the Shire you've also got some big jumps at Audley (Jump over trees for the highest one) and Wattamolla

Did Currumbin Rockpools on Sunday and there's a BIG log in the middle of the rockpools.

Moral of the story? Always check your landing before you jump...

Doodles
Grommet

Post by Doodles » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:07 pm

Revolution wrote:Never done the blowhole one doodles but i know a guy who **** (fractured or something) his sternum jumping off it.
F**k! That's hard core for sure! I used to fish there a lot a some years back and used to see quite a few people take the plunge! Its insane. Seen lots of minor injuries etc but never anything serious, so must be all in the timing etc.

I Havent seen/heard of many jumping lately though. Does anyone still rock-off there?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:56 pm

Doodles wrote:
F**k! That's hard core for sure! I used to fish there a lot a some years back and used to see quite a few people take the plunge! Its insane. Seen lots of minor injuries etc but never anything serious, so must be all in the timing etc.

I Havent seen/heard of many jumping lately though. Does anyone still rock-off there?
rock off for a surf :? wouldnt see the point, if its big enough to need to rock off you'd be crazy to try it, if its small enough then you got a fairly long paddle.

Thing that happened with this guy is he landed somewhat on an angle, had to go through thr blow hole and up the rocks to get to mona hospital :shock:

Toby, thats sad :cry:

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:30 pm

still yet to do the blowhole.. checked it out and climbed down/up once and it seems very do-able provided your not completely retarded and dont scope it out beforehand...
avalon is good for a bit of fun every now and then, when there's a little swell (such as the other day when we were there) its good fun mucking around on that rock just out from the landing area, getting smashed by sets and washed through the washing machine. just dont do what we did and start a rock war... i copped one to the head and it still f*cken hurts

only ever jumped manly twice, the second being a backflip. took me a good 15 minutes to just shut up and do it rather than psyche myself out, huge rush doing that.

also did one in thailand just next to a waterfall, wasnt huge, probably just a little smaller than warriewood. backflipped that a few times in front of a crowd of easily-impressed touro's 8)

still yet to learn running backflips.. tried one at av jump rock once and landed on the side of my head. ugliest jump youv ever seen :cry:

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:28 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:RIP "The Boatshed"...
A fun flat day alternative somewhere in the Sutherland Shire

In the Shire you've also got some big jumps at Audley (Jump over trees for the highest one) and Wattamolla

Did Currumbin Rockpools on Sunday and there's a BIG log in the middle of the rockpools.

Umm, that reminds me, there's a tree in the water under the falls at mccarrs creek :shock: .

stormy

Post by stormy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:46 am

anyone done red rock or death rock at lane cove river park ?, some of the jumps there are out of trees , something different.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:43 am

stormy wrote:anyone done red rock or death rock at lane cove river park ?, some of the jumps there are out of trees , something different.
No, not for a few years, but as the previous poster warns, snags can be notorious at the LCNP. Haven't seen anyone in the water there for ages.

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:56 am

Nick Carroll wrote:Try north Bilgola headland on a super high tide, there's a little undefined path up a ridge then a few platforms, each above another. Go the one you dare.
Getting up on billy jump rock is the scary part..
worst climb up ever. you have to swing over the drop from ledge to ledge holding onto a vine

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:29 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote: In the Shire you've also got some big jumps at Audley (Jump over trees for the highest one) and Wattamolla

Also in the shire, there's one in the upper reaches of the Woronora called Jockey's cap. Not especially high but from memory it's a very long jump out and over the rock to get to the water. Only accessible from the water.

Seen guys jumping off Como railway bridge too. I did an abseil pendulum-swing thingy there many years ago. Nearly ripped my nuts off!

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:04 pm

RickyG wrote: Seen guys jumping off Como railway bridge too. I did an abseil pendulum-swing thingy there many years ago. Nearly ripped my nuts off!
I've heard stories of people jumping off Como bridge during low tide and getting their feet stuck in the mud once they hit the bottom... :?:

Speaking of bridges, I also know someone who has jumped off Tom Ugly's bridge (the original one) with shoes on... crazy :oops:

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:14 pm

a mate's brothers bucks, they all jumped off the pedestrian/monorail bridge at darling harbour :lol:

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:23 pm

chrisb wrote:
stormy wrote:anyone done red rock or death rock at lane cove river park ?, some of the jumps there are out of trees , something different.
No, not for a few years, but as the previous poster warns, snags can be notorious at the LCNP. Haven't seen anyone in the water there for ages.
As kids we used to jump off the rock at Cottonwood Glen which also had the tree option. Also used to be a place called the Blue Hole. I think due to pollution swimming is banned down there and has been for awhile.