ripcurl w.c.t... the search... please dont do it

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:38 pm

Ringmaster wrote:[
Hope you're right on that call :!:

TRUST ME. I am right.

spook
Grommet

Post by spook » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Ringmaster wrote: Gunna be at Gnarloo in June and I'm hoping it's not TOO much busier than when I was last there in 02',,,,,,,,,,,,,,let alone the thought of 50 pros and all the associated hangers on for a comp :shock:

Even if the comps not till August, it'll just compress the crowds into a smaller time window there cause no one'll go near it around 'comp' time.
it is much busier these days.
at 4 foot is a fun, playful down the line wave.
but once it starts hitting 6 foot and all the steps and hammers come into play, it's a whole different wave and if you want the sets you'll get em.

chopescahrger
regular

Post by chopescahrger » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:11 pm

staright of the asp website

"This year’s venue is in Oz, so buckle up."

where?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:37 pm

Never been, maybe never will but its always nice to think theres a few wild waves out there in OZ. A comp in good surf there has to have an effect particularly international travellers.

Look at that place in Mexico-sorta knew the waves were good around there but after seeing those barrels you want to sell the house and move there.

Great to see a surf company putting so much back into the sport :P

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:30 am

Hmmm. I gotta say I am not seeing any conclusive evidence that suggests it's NOT at Gnarloo.

As chopescahrger says the ASP site still says oz, and on their little map jigger it's kinda out in the Indian ocean ( so kinda sorta West Oz-ish but non-comittal LOL ) and just says "somewhere on earth".

I also tend to agree that it's unlikely they would suddenly change it 4 months out - the logistics would be a nightmare, surely??!

I can't help but wonder if they have pulled any specific mention of West Oz from the site to calm speculation. I guess you'll know around July 28 when the first judging tents go up... :shock:

Here's a cached page of the site from late November last year...

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:wV ... lr=lang_en

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:44 am

^^
Trust me, it won't be at Gnarloo.

creased
Local

Post by creased » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:05 am

Cocos/Keeling Islands :shock:

Mono

Post by Mono » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:35 pm

creased wrote:Cocos/Keeling Islands :shock:
I noticed on the ASP site today it said "Somewhere in Australia". Think about it — Where are the best waves in Oz at that time of the year? javascript:emoticon(':(')

Mono

Post by Mono » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:54 pm

Mono wrote:
creased wrote:Cocos/Keeling Islands :shock:
I noticed on the ASP site today it said "Somewhere in Australia". Think about it — Where are the best waves in Oz at that time of the year? javascript:emoticon(':(')

I now see that in the 'terms and conditions' of a current competition where Rip Curl are offering a trip to The Search for a prize that it'll either be New Zealand or Indo.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:22 pm

After being punted from Gnarloo Rip Curl applied to hold the contest at Raglan, but they were denied access there also. They have since approached Le-Ba Boardriders and Ballina Shire Council to hold it at Lennox Head but again have met some resistance.

There is a good chance that it will be held in Bali. Not sure what wave though.

Da Duke
regular

Post by Da Duke » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:13 am

2nd Reef wrote:After being punted from Gnarloo Rip Curl applied to hold the contest at Raglan, but they were denied access there also. They have since approached Le-Ba Boardriders and Ballina Shire Council to hold it at Lennox Head but again have met some resistance.

There is a good chance that it will be held in Bali. Not sure what wave though.
Bring it on. About time the WCT was back in Indo. Apparently insurance issues have been quashed then.

God forbid the brains trust behind The Search actually ever do some searching. Lets face it, calling the event The Search doesn't do them any favors. They may as well have called it The Search and Destroy in the eyes of a paranoid local. Fair enough too. I reckon they would of been better off calling their event The Rip Curl Classic or even The Open. Something with some prestigue attached to it. At least that way there's no feeling of exploitation whenever the lime green V8 Search machine pulls into your local carpark.

mozzquito

Post by mozzquito » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:14 am

do they contribute anything to the local authority at any of these places... e.g. $500,000 to the local council for use in coastal /marine protection/rehab etc?

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:05 am

Where ever its held the locals have a fair bit of bargaining power. The Chile event saw almost only local wildcards after the locals basically said its gonna be like that or not at all.
I think the claims about the Gnarloo area being too fragile an ecosystem are a bit of a wank to be honest. Ive studied environmental management and heard experts contradict eachother and have totally different views about similar topics. What is so fragile about the desert that it cant cope with a few trucks? or hundreds of trucks for that matter. A large weather system has more of an effect on an area than some temporary traffic. Its like the "no 4WDing on sand dunes' arguement. A 4wd leaves tracks, then a weather system comes through and totally re-models the dunes, leaving the effects of the cars to be less than nothing.
Im not saying that there will be no effects from the search event, wherever it is held, but a lot of the arguments are simply about locals protecting their spot by going along with anthing that slightly supports their point of view.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:54 am

Nothing one of these would'nt fix up.

....and if they barricade themselves in then i would use a Baret M107 (50 caliber sniper rifle!!!)

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:50 pm

What about Barrow island? (Montebellos) Plenty of swell at that time and lots of other options nearby. No pissed off locals apart from the sharks

http://www.worldsurfaris.com/checksurf_1.asp?pkgid=42

Obviously a bit costly getting everyone out there but it would be what you'd expect a "search" to be